Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Jan 10, 2015 - 3:50 PM   
 By:   Stephen Woolston   (Member)

To Mike J,

You asked a reasonable question but the problem with answering it is you're asking people to rationally justify love for something. It doesn't work that way. Your inability to understand why I like John Barry's music is equal to my inability to understand why you do not.

What kind of an answer could anyone give? My rationale would be no more of a real rationale than yours. You'd be no more convinced of mine than I'd be of yours.

Sometimes I think people just have to shrug shoulders at their inability to share the same feelings about something and this is probably one of those times.

I will make you a promise though: when something is proposed that you like, I won't condescend on everyone who's pleased, insult them and act like the superior arbiter of what people should like.

Posted:   Jan 10, 2015 - 3:58 PM   
 By:   Mike_J   (Member)

Funny how you criticize my words for being insulting by describing my post with adjectives such as "idiotic", not to mention your ill-purposed sarcasm towards my age and nationality. THAT's classless. If anything, you have just proved my point.

Brilliant riposte, worthy of Calvin Coolidge or Oscar Wilde. I bow to your superior breeding and education, notwithstanding your apparent ignorance of irony.

Posted:   Jan 10, 2015 - 4:08 PM   
 By:   Mike_J   (Member)

To Mike J,

You asked a reasonable question but the problem with answering it is you're asking people to rationally justify love for something. It doesn't work that way. Your inability to understand why I like John Barry's music is equal to my inability to understand why you do not.

What kind of an answer could anyone give? My rationale would be no more of a real rationale than yours. You'd be no more convinced of mine than I'd be of yours.

Sometimes I think people just have to shrug shoulders at their inability to share the same feelings about something and this is probably one of those times.

I will make you a promise though: when something is proposed that you like, I won't condescend on everyone who's pleased, insult them and act like the superior arbiter of what people should like.

Stephen, I totally understand what you're saying but perhaps I didn't make my point very clearly.

What im interested in is whether Barry fans sincerely rate Moonraker as being a great score and whether there is genuinely a huge demand for it or whether it is just because the versions released thus far are incomplete or whatever.

As I've made clear, I am no Barry fan but I can appreciate some of his work - but compared to other Bond scores he did, Moonraker to me seems a very pedestrian score and I was just trying to ascertain if there is real interest in this score specifically or if it just falls into the category of "any new release has to be better than no new release".

As to your final paragraph , if that is directed at me, I'm not sure I (or anyone else here) has tried to dictate what people should or should not like but that reaction does seem to be a bit over-emotional.

Posted:   Jan 10, 2015 - 4:09 PM   
 By:   Grecchus   (Member)

£25,000 is actually considerably less than I'd have expected the full cost to re-record an entire film score would be. Surely, this amount is provisional in some way?

The experiment seems to be about subsidising the costs of the project via the end-users.

Posted:   Jan 10, 2015 - 4:09 PM   
 By:   Sean Nethery   (Member)

For those of us getting to page 3 stupefied by the OT name calling going on here, here's the link once again to the

KICKSTARTER FOR MOONRAKER, the reason for this thread.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/681802762/moonraker-new-recording?ref=email

Posted:   Jan 10, 2015 - 4:47 PM   
 By:   Peter Greenhill   (Member)

£4531 at the end of day 1 (UK time). A fantastic effort but still a long way to go. Clearly we won't have as much pledged every day but hopefully we can gradually reach our goal.

Thanks to everybody who's pledged smile

Posted:   Jan 10, 2015 - 5:54 PM   
 By:   David Ferstat   (Member)

Thor wrote:

I don't mean to piss on your campaign, James (all the best of luck to you!), but THIS you want 'kickstarted' -- despite it having numerous soundtrack versions already -- while my suggestion of recording Williams' STORY OF A WOMAN/STORIA DI UNA DONNA -- a superior score that has never seen the light of day, nor will it ever -- was completely uninteresting to you?

Let's actually look at Thor's points here.

1) "... numerous soundtrack versions already ..."

Not sure what you mean here. Although Moonraker has been released several times, there's never been, as far as I'm aware, any change to the content. Indeed, one of the arguments used in support of this project is that this score did NOT get an expanded release while several other Bond scores did.

2) "... Williams' STORY OF A WOMAN/STORIA DI UNA DONNA ..."

How many people have heard OF this, let alone actually heard it? And this is precisely the question that James Fitz has to ask for every project he considers. Moonraker is a well-known and popular score, and he can judge the demand for a re-recording from, among other things, the persistent requests on this forum. Story of a Woman, on the other hand, is William's only foreign film, and is the ONLY feature film scored him not to have its own page on the English-language version of Wikipedia.

3) "... completely uninteresting to you ..."

James Fitz is in business. That means that what he does is not necessarily what he WANTS to do. Rather, it's what he can AFFORD to do. He's clearly concluded that there's enough demand for an expanded Moonraker. Given that he hasn't announced Story of a Woman, I can only presume that he doesn't think there's enough demand for it.

It does NOT mean that he doesn't want to do it. It just means that he doesn't think he can afford to do it.

Posted:   Jan 10, 2015 - 6:27 PM   
 By:   SchiffyM   (Member)

To everybody who has ever typed the words "Why not just do a Kickstarter…?" on this board, well, I think today shows very clearly that there is nothing "just" about it.

Posted:   Jan 10, 2015 - 6:47 PM   
 By:   Mike_H   (Member)

Someone just took one of the "1k or more" spots. Very cool!

Posted:   Jan 10, 2015 - 6:47 PM   
 By:   Morricone   (Member)

Congratulations Thor and Mike J ! I would never be caught dead contributing to a recording of a latter Barry score but I just threw in for this based on your comments. I just imagined myself getting a kickstarter off and running, of a Morricone or Goldsmith (or Williams or Bernstein) score I wanted, and someone making remarks of total condescension like you guys have. My blood would indeed. Funny how Thor in person did not talk this way at all.

I see they already have £5,216 pledged of £25,000 goal with 29 days to go, so way to go!

And let me know if you guys have a similar project and I will volunteer to step up and question your taste to help you along. In fact it would be a joy to.

Posted:   Jan 10, 2015 - 7:08 PM   
 By:   TerraEpon   (Member)

To everybody who has ever typed the words "Why not just do a Kickstarter…?" on this board, well, I think today shows very clearly that there is nothing "just" about it.

Sure, but I refer to my points (and JC's) above. The campaign is just....not well thought out. Look at successful campagns and what they did. What they didn't do was offer a single incentive. What they didn't do was say "There are no risks, I ,know what's up". What they didn't do was throw up a basically unrelated video and nothing else.

Again I'm not poo pooing this at all. I've been one of the most enthusiastic pointers toward using KS if it means more new recordings. But there are a lot of things that could be done a lot better to get more people to contribute. What the score is is pretty irrelevant.

Edit: And looking again I see a couple new incentives were added. It's a good start.

Posted:   Jan 10, 2015 - 7:09 PM   
 By:   LeHah   (Member)

Thor is in it for Thor. If he doesn't get anything out of it, he's against it. If it has no intristic value to him, he's against it.

I hope his comments in this thread color his person permanently. He's been at the spoiled sport act for ages.

Posted:   Jan 10, 2015 - 7:23 PM   
 By:   pete   (Member)

What they didn't do was throw up a basically unrelated video and nothing else.

I thought the video was perfect. It clearly shows James can deliver what is promised.
20% of the funding promised after one day. Sure, who knows if the pledges will keep coming in, but it's certainly off to a good start.

Posted:   Jan 10, 2015 - 7:25 PM   
 By:   Illustrator   (Member)

Congratulations Thor and Mike J ! I would never be caught dead contributing to a recording of a latter Barry score but I just threw in for this based on your comments. I just imagined myself getting a kickstarter off and running, of a Morricone or Goldsmith (or Williams or Bernstein) score I wanted, and someone making remarks of total condescension like you guys have. My blood would indeed. Funny how Thor in person did not talk this way at all.

I see they already have £5,216 pledged of £25,000 goal with 29 days to go, so way to go!

And let me know if you guys have a similar project and I will volunteer to step up and question your taste to help you along. In fact it would be a joy to.

Funny isn't it, in the days of the record store no one would see what you were buying and get in your face and tell you, "You're a complete c**t if you like that kind of music!" in fact in the days of Dean Street records or HMV people would just go about their business and funny enough at times wish you knew someone who shared that interest. Now we've found each other and dislike eachother.

You'd think after some events this week it would provide a little perspective. Live and let live.

Please.

Posted:   Jan 10, 2015 - 7:35 PM   
 By:   Tango Urilla   (Member)

I'm doing my part!

But I do have to say, as someone who really wants this to succeed, please please please clean up the typographical and spelling errors on the Kickstarter page. It will take all of about 20 seconds and could prevent potential pledgers from squinting their eyes skeptically and leaving.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/681802762/moonraker-new-recording?ref=email

Posted:   Jan 10, 2015 - 7:48 PM   
 By:   Yavar Moradi   (Member)

Yeah, and after those are fixed (and perhaps more incentives/pledge levels added?) maybe this can be tweeted out to some important people who could retweet it to their followers, which recently happened for Intrada's complete Last Starfighter. Maybe sites like AICN could also help promote this?

Yavar

Posted:   Jan 10, 2015 - 8:51 PM   
 By:   Brandon Brown   (Member)

20% of the funding promised after one day. Sure, who knows if the pledges will keep coming in, but it's certainly off to a good start.

Indeed. Great start. I'm sure most Kickstarter campaigners would give anything to have 20% of their campaign funded in a day!

It's nice to see that this campaign is being supported. Nic Raine and The City of Prague Orchestra did excellent work with the MOONRAKER music for the 4-CD "James Bond Collection" set.

Posted:   Jan 10, 2015 - 10:59 PM   
 By:   Julian K   (Member)

Someone mentioned earlier that the sound quality of the existing disc isn't perfect. That's something of an understatement, considering it suffers from some horrible distortion.

I'm in, if only to piss off Thor.

Posted:   Jan 11, 2015 - 12:43 AM   
 By:   Steve H   (Member)

My No 1 loyalty would lie with a release of Barry's original tracks but if this is the closest we'll ever get to the complete score Im in!
I'm curious though.. would Barry's original sheet music be able to be used for the rerecording or would it have to be reconstructed as per the previous Barry recording?

Posted:   Jan 11, 2015 - 1:02 AM   
 By:   CindyLover   (Member)

When I saw this thread I first thought by mistake that it was for Moonwalker! Not planning to contribute (although I may change my mind), but I hope the fans get their wish.