Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   May 4, 2010 - 10:28 AM   
 By:   BasilFSM   (Member)

I couldn't care less if any press release was misworded, or if the entire disc was advertised as true stereo, or if there's "fake stereo" in a couple of tracks (this is worth getting upset over?), or whatever. Nobody's perfect, and everyone makes mistakes sometimes.

MOST of it is in stereo, and THAT makes it a vast improvement over the FSM edition right there. Nonetheless, the FSM edition was perfect for its time given the materials available and the mastering technologies out there in 1999/2000, and it's even better now. Why get so worked up if a couple of songs are still in mono? Yeesh.

I guess I'm a glass half full rather than glass half empty person.

Posted:   May 4, 2010 - 10:44 AM   
 By:   soop.broth   (Member)

Intrada has 11 copies left. smile

Posted:   May 4, 2010 - 10:48 AM   
 By:   Jason LeBlanc   (Member)

MV, are you pre-announcing your May 11th titles tomorrow?

Probably not. Between personal stuff (i.e. new baby coming any day now) and work stuff I don't know when the May 11th titles will come be coming. I will let you guys know in advance, though. We hope to have both titles signed by their respective composers. If that happens it would be worth the delay! Both composers are new to our label. smile

MV

Thanks MV!

Any more hints you can give us? Is either release, say, a rejected score perhaps? smile

Pre-congrats on the eminent birth of Ivy Quinn!

Posted:   May 4, 2010 - 11:17 AM   
 By:   David-R.   (Member)

Looks like TPA is sold out, like, everywhere.
Congrats to MV on such great business!

Posted:   May 4, 2010 - 11:19 AM   
 By:   peterproud   (Member)

Intrada has 11 copies left. smile

Not anymore....and Lala has officially sold out.

That's all folks...frown

Posted:   May 4, 2010 - 11:25 AM   
 By:   David-R.   (Member)

MV, if you just wanna give us the names of the releases and elaborate later, I'm sure we'd be happy and it would lower some of our stress levels... smile

Posted:   May 4, 2010 - 11:32 AM   
 By:   Mark Ford   (Member)

Moviemusic.com is usually the last place to find copies of sold out releases, but they are apparently sold out also.

Posted:   May 4, 2010 - 1:48 PM   
 By:   Thomas   (Member)

Well, after all the crap about the artwork and 'fake stereo' it seems it didnt make much difference to buyers. Never ceases to amaze me how much/quickly Williams releases seem to go. Does anyone else even come as close to him for a guaranteed seller?

Posted:   May 4, 2010 - 2:02 PM   
 By:   JerryGjunior   (Member)

Well, after all the crap about the artwork and 'fake stereo' it seems it didnt make much difference to buyers. Never ceases to amaze me how much/quickly Williams releases seem to go. Does anyone else even come as close to him for a guaranteed seller?

Goldsmith is more guaranteed seller than Williams if we're talking about these special editions from smaller labels.

Posted:   May 4, 2010 - 2:36 PM   
 By:   Eric Paddon   (Member)

"FSM WASN'T ENOUGH! LALALAND WASN'T ENOUGH......!" big grin

Posted:   May 4, 2010 - 3:35 PM   
 By:   babbelballetje   (Member)

"FSM WASN'T ENOUGH! LALALAND WASN'T ENOUGH......!" big grin

Maybe we need a limited to 1000 Poseidon adventure from Kritzerland now? Just for the last couple of collectors who missed it?smile

Posted:   May 4, 2010 - 4:06 PM   

My order shipped out. Placed it at La-La Land just under the wire!

Or under the ocean... under the boat... or something.

Under alien spaceships too! big grin

Posted:   May 4, 2010 - 4:31 PM   
 By:   TownerFan   (Member)

The fast sell-out of POSEIDON ADVENTURE isn't exactly surprising, but I sense a tad too much speculation this time, especially because the frenzy started just right after MV said they were down to 400 or so copies left.

Sorry guys, but this is nonsense. This score was already released (even if from mono sources and not uber-complete). Ok, it was a sold-out item and very much in demand on eBay. Ok, it's John Williams, but this isn't STAR WARS or HARRY POTTER. The AICN article surely helped to point out to people who doesn't watch film music boards regularly, but the crazy sell-out that happened in a matter of few hours across ALL online soundtrack retailers doesn't make any sense, but probably only helped greedy people to secure themselves a few more copies just for speculating reasons.

My copy has yet to arrive and I hope the package will arrive safe and sound here, otherwise... well, I have the FSM CD, so I shouldn't complain, but let's say that if this is the trend, I will probably restrict my purchases even more than I'm doing now. I do not live attached to the internet all day long with the credit card pronto.

I'm happy the labels are in full swing and healthy with all these amazing releases that are pouring on us. They very much deserve all the success and all the film music fans deserve the goodies thar are released almost on a weekly basis. But I'm not rich and I don't want to turn a deep passion for an artform into a crazy compulsive collecting behavior.

End of rant. Sorry if I'm not contributing with something positive, usually I'm not the type of person who enjoys doing this kind of banter here.

Posted:   May 4, 2010 - 4:38 PM   

If you ordered from La-La Land, I imagine they still have a few left over in case copies are lost in the mail or arrive damaged. Surely the other outlets would have copies too?

Posted:   May 4, 2010 - 4:55 PM   
 By:   TownerFan   (Member)

I ordered from SAE and it will be here soon. I was not complaining because I didn't snag a copy. I was only reflecting about how crazy and compulsive soundtrack collecting became. I feel sorry for all the people who probably didn't have the time or the money to buy their copy instantly, maybe after chasing the old FSM CD through eBay speculators.

However, I don't want to rant endlessly, I already expressed my own views.

Posted:   May 4, 2010 - 5:15 PM   
 By:   'Lenny Bruce' Marshall   (Member)

not too long ago....
i posted a thread praising LLL in the wake of OUTER LIMITS, BATMAN, GOJIRA etc
i think it was titled "Catching up with LALALALANd"

i cant find it anywhere!
calling thor, calling thor

Posted:   May 4, 2010 - 5:22 PM   
 By:   Josh   (Member)

not too long ago....
i posted a thread praising LLL in the wake of OUTER LIMITS, BATMAN, GOJIRA etc
i think it was titled "Catching up with LALALALANd"

i cant find it anywhere!

Dude, that was almost 2 years ago!

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=51703&forumID=1&archive=0

Posted:   May 4, 2010 - 5:29 PM   
 By:   'Lenny Bruce' Marshall   (Member)

so how come it didn't turn up in the Search Engine?
i suspect sabotage.
probably that turncoat Allardyce

bruce

ps thanks!

Posted:   May 4, 2010 - 5:35 PM   
 By:   Josh   (Member)

so how come it didn't turn up in the Search Engine?
i suspect sabotage.
probably that turncoat Allardyce

bruce

ps thanks!

Because you misspelled LALALLAALALLALALLALLLALALAND! razz

I just searched for "catching". wink

Posted:   May 4, 2010 - 5:38 PM   
 By:   TominAtl   (Member)

I've been listening to this for a week now. It's a side of Williams I'd like to see again - small scale (despite the size of the ship), personal, suspenseful with some of his best "modern" writing. I can't imagine how the alternate Main Titles would have felt in the film - perhaps there was an earlier conception of the titles sequence that played on suspense more.

A huge thanks to MV and Mike for going all out (I avoided saying "overboard") for this release.

It was from an era of his output that I don't think we will ever see again. Top notch work. I lost interest in his scores after some point a decade or so later.

And I am just completely the oposite. Almost everything prior to Jaw for me carriess no interest and Poseidon Adventure, as cool as the movie was, isnt the Williams that I listen to.

So I bought it anyway and will sell it for a $1000! HA! Hows that for speculatin'!

Not. wink

I do hope everyone enjoys their copy.