Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Jan 12, 2010 - 7:18 PM   
 By:   Natrebo   (Member)

As for something beyond Blu-ray is concerned, It may have to do with what Lucas showed Camron before filming Avatar... and that's 3D - because he showed him Return of the Jedi that had been 3Dafied. So we might eventually even see the original trilogy re-released in theaters in 3D in order to push the new 3D TV and 3D Discs to come... so the success of Avatar is only going to be the beginning of this...

Posted:   Jan 12, 2010 - 8:40 PM   
 By:   Josh "Swashbuckler" Gizelt   (Member)

I don't really think there's much of a pattern going on at all. The original VHS releases were done during a completely different business model based upon the rental concept. By the time the big CAV Star Wars box set came out, laserdiscs had been around for a very long time and were pretty much established as a niche market item. I don't think it's quite analogous to the emergence of either DVD or Blu-ray, the latter of which is pretty much doomed to be a niche market item anyway.

Posted:   Jan 12, 2010 - 9:38 PM   
 By:   cirtap   (Member)

....But I do remember both of them, Spielberg and Lucas saying there is something beyond Blu Ray. THEY never said what it was.....I truly don't think Blu Ray will last as long as VHS or even DVD... Could it be Hard Drive Based and we all just load up? Just wondering out loud.

I am waiting for the truly waiting for Spielberg's Empire of the Sun, or Schindler's List.

And a added bonus, ISOLATED SCORES for the Indy Flics, OR whatever Lucas and Spielberg flic.

Posted:   Jan 12, 2010 - 9:54 PM   
 By:   SchiffyM   (Member)

....But I do remember both of them, Spielberg and Lucas saying there is something beyond Blu Ray. THEY never said what it was.....I truly don't think Blu Ray will last as long as VHS or even DVD... Could it be Hard Drive Based and we all just load up? Just wondering out loud.

Of course there's something beyond Blu-Ray. And something beyond that, and beyond that. I don't expect that will keep them from the Blu-Ray format for long. Why would they? I have friends who bought the "Star Trek" movies on VHS, then laserdisc, then DVD, and now Blu-Ray. I don't think Spielberg or Lucas have any actual desire to pass on that repeat buying.

I'm sure they played coy in interviews. But there is no reason they'd ever say never. What's in it for them?

Posted:   Jan 12, 2010 - 10:52 PM   
 By:   ShabbyBlue   (Member)

The 2-CD special editions don't have ALL the trilogy music, as Lukas said above. I distinctly recall the ROTJ set missing the source cue from Jabba's sail barge. Always loved that tune and would love to hear it isolated, but I think someone said a few years ago that it's lost, or they simply couldn't find it at the time when producing these sets in 1997. I remember hearing it in one of the background scenes for the "Classic Creatures: The Making of ROTJ" special too.

Posted:   Jan 13, 2010 - 5:34 AM   
 By:   John-73   (Member)

The 2-CD special editions don't have ALL the trilogy music, as Lukas said above. I distinctly recall the ROTJ set missing the source cue from Jabba's sail barge. Always loved that tune and would love to hear it isolated, but I think someone said a few years ago that it's lost, or they simply couldn't find it at the time when producing these sets in 1997. I remember hearing it in one of the background scenes for the "Classic Creatures: The Making of ROTJ" special too.

I love this peace of music too - it can also be found on the ROTJ Radio Drama from NPR, and the quality sounded great on that, so the tapes must have gone missing after that was mixed I'm guessing?

I'm not complaining at all about the content of the 2-CD RCA discs however, which is just about perfect, just the mixing. Star Wars is the best of the bunch, but even that still lacks a sense of spaciousness - like you are IN with the orchestra, rather than having an overall aural view of the orchestra (if that makes sense). It's a claustrophobic mix. The Anthology set on the otherhand is mixed beautifully (a couple of switched channels aside) and really gives a sweeping panoramic feel to the music - it sounds epic, in short. The dynamics are absolutely astounding on a good high-end system too - the orchestral 'stab' on 'fight with the fighters' on Jedi pins you to the back of your chair. That same 'stab' on the 2-CD RCA or Sony set doesn't have any kick to it whatsoever.

Boy I'd love to hear that 5th CD........ sigh!

Posted:   Jan 13, 2010 - 9:58 AM   
 By:   Trent B   (Member)

There's a few source cues missing from ROTJ. Though we have all of Jabba's Sail Barge cues. It's the film version for Lapti Nek that we don't have and I think another that's missing.

I wish that Lucasfilm would allow one of the labels to find what all masters they can find for the Original Trilogy scores, properly restore it and release it the right time.

Posted:   Jan 13, 2010 - 3:15 PM   
 By:   Sigerson Holmes   (Member)

I believe there is one Jabba's sail barge source cue still missing to this day.

We discussed it briefly in this thread:

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=24472&forumID=1&archive=1

Thor said he thought he had a CD-R transfer of the cue in his collection, but he couldn't remember the title of the piece, and he may have been confusing it with his memory of one of the 1983 "Lapti Nek" vinyl singles.

Any of this ring a bell, Thor?

Posted:   Jan 13, 2010 - 3:23 PM   
 By:   cirtap   (Member)

Of course there's something beyond Blu-Ray. And something beyond that, and beyond that. I don't expect that will keep them from the Blu-Ray format for long. Why would they? I have friends who bought the "Star Trek" movies on VHS, then laserdisc, then DVD, and now Blu-Ray. I don't think Spielberg or Lucas have any actual desire to pass on that repeat buying.

I'm sure they played coy in interviews. But there is no reason they'd ever say never. What's in it for them?

I am saying with VHS and regular DVD, they put their collection on those sources. BUT with Blu Ray, they have not been so damn eager.... But I do remember a lot of chatter about YEAH there is something else out there. But it is like THEY truly know. Sort of Close Encounters of the 5th kind here.

I was reading that Blu Ray has another 5 years if that of shelve life. I was just wondering, is it hard drive based or a chip or whatever it might be......

Posted:   Jan 25, 2010 - 8:44 AM   
 By:   SchiffyM   (Member)

Spielberg's Close Encounters of the Third Kind is on Blu-ray. As is Spielberg's Indiana Jones & the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

And "Minority Report" was just announced for an April Blu-Ray release.

Posted:   Feb 6, 2010 - 2:08 PM   
 By:   Trent B   (Member)

You are not going to get what you want for either franchise. Lucasfilm controls the rights and ransoms them to the highest bidder. They also defer to Williams, whose people run up big mixing bills and do not orient the releases to collectors' wishes (as happened on the recent Indy box). On top of that there are still elements problems with the original Trilogy due to the stuff having not been well archived at the time...there was a guy at the Star Wars Convention at the L.A. Convention Center a few years ago who was ransoming off original tape reels he had dug up from (LP remix engineer) John Neal's estate, including the original 2" 16-track of side four of the Star Wars LP! (Who knows where sides 1 through 3 went...the way this guy explained it, he got side 4 out of some garage...he did loan it to Lucasfilm at least to make a digital copy.) Finally, that 2CD Phantom Menace was something of a fiasco...Lucasfilm only did it because the tracks had gotten out there somehow (I forget how) and thought they were giving the collectors what they wanted by using the edited stems as conformed to the movie (with a million edits). They were quite taken aback by all the negative cricitism -- "what's the problem, it's exactly every note as heard in the film?" I remember explaining to one of the executives the subtleties involved and by the time I finished the attitude I heard was along the lines of "to hell with these people." Others know much more than I do but omerta prevails...such is the power of the Force. My real advice is to relax because after all we do have every note from the Trilogy on those 2CD editions...it's easy to overlook what a big deal that was...as well as significant Indy releases.

Lukas

In regards to The Phantom Menace fiasco....Lucasfilm released the U.E. to hope to stop the fan made edits from people who took the unreleased/unused cues from the various games and making their own complete intended editions. If Lucasfilm had actually delivered us the complete intended edit for The Phantom Menace, I bet they would have made killer sales for it. Instead we got an isolated score with clunky edits and looped material thrown onto a CD with a piss poor booklet and released to us.

It even claimed "every note that Williams wrote" for the film...which clearly was false when we found out about it.

Posted:   Feb 8, 2010 - 3:26 PM   
 By:   richuk   (Member)

That's the point that hangs them out to dry - the set was not 'every note written for the film'. Heck, Lucas himself edited the score to shreds and knows damn well that the set didn't represent Williams' original vision. It was profit hunting, nothing more.

It's very disappointing that we've got a composer who doesn't care about having more music released, and an otherwise money-grabbing company who doesn't care about music either, in charge of two of the biggest franchises in the world.

Posted:   Apr 11, 2010 - 2:13 AM   
 By:   MattyO   (Member)

I am fairly certain Lucas will use the 3D re-release opportunity to re-release all the scores. The question is whether they will all be complete, remastered, intended versions. I've only recently gotten interested in Star Wars music again after my enthusiasm died once Episode III had been and gone; now I'm ready to hear more music.

Posted:   Apr 11, 2010 - 6:05 AM   
 By:   LeHah   (Member)

It's very disappointing that we've got a composer who doesn't care about having more music released, and an otherwise money-grabbing company who doesn't care about music either, in charge of two of the biggest franchises in the world.

The door is that way, bub.

Posted:   Apr 11, 2010 - 12:19 PM   
 By:   TownerFan   (Member)

I'm listening right now to the RCA Victor's STAR WARS 2-CD set and I must say this is probably THE ultimate presentation of this legendary score--well, maybe I'm a bit bold, it's simply my own favourite way to listen to this seminal score. The assembly is perfectly done and the remastering is absolutely excellent (the only thing I miss here is the classic "concert arrangement" of the Main Titles/End Titles combo that was editorially created for the original double album--it would have been a good bonus track). Kudos to Mike Matessino and Dan Hersch for a great job.

Posted:   Apr 13, 2010 - 9:20 PM   

I've just listened to the complete Return of the Jedi score, Sony edition and besides reminding me how much I like that score, I was wondering if there was a story behind the drop in sound quality between this edition and the Anthology. Is there a problem with the masters?

Posted:   Apr 13, 2010 - 11:06 PM   
 By:   jkheiser   (Member)

I've just listened to the complete Return of the Jedi score, Sony edition and besides reminding me how much I like that score, I was wondering if there was a story behind the drop in sound quality between this edition and the Anthology. Is there a problem with the masters?

The matter is explained well here:
http://www.malonedigital.com/starwars.pdf

Be warned, it's a 51-page PDF, but in it contains all you need to know about what happened to RCA/Sony's JEDI.

Posted:   Apr 14, 2010 - 12:48 AM   

Nice find on that article. I shall peruse that - it looks like an interesting read all round. I'm interested to see the third Family Guy Star Wars special and what the RotJ music sounds like in a new context and whether it has been remastered.

Posted:   Apr 19, 2015 - 6:08 AM   
 By:   Amer Zahid   (Member)

With the New and upcoming STAR WARS film and fanfare 'Awakening' in coming months leading to December release. It would be a good opportunity for Disney to go back and re-issue the full complete score in a more regal fashion for the entire 6 movies.

Today I'm reliving the original trilogy and the scores again-What a day!

Posted:   Apr 19, 2015 - 6:20 AM   
 By:   Membership Expired   (Member)

Disney do not currently own the rights to release the scores. Sony Classical does