Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Nov 10, 2023 - 6:28 PM   
 By:   Solium   (Member)

Why does that alien ship look like it has breasts hanging down off it like … you-know-what's?

I've not see the film -- is this some kind of intentional joke?

Have you never seen the Enterprise?

Posted:   Nov 10, 2023 - 7:08 PM   
 By:   Broughtfan   (Member)

Very excited about having a proper presentation of this music. I remember seeing the film on Cinemax or HBO in 1981 but tuning in while the movie was in progress. Since I didn't have a VCR (they were a bit costly then) I waited until the film was repeated, about a week later, at something like 4AM just so I could see who did the music (which I thought was really well done, this despite the performance errors in the brass). The next time I saw Horner's name was a short time later (maybe a month or two), in a print ad for Wolfen, an apparent "step up" from "Battle." So I knew this was someone who was going places.

Posted:   Nov 11, 2023 - 2:46 AM   
 By:   CindyLover   (Member)

I believe Jerry should get some writing credit also!

Well, the cast is loaded with Goldsmith ties (George Peppard from The Blue Max, Robert Vaughn from The Man From U.N.C.L.E., Richard Thomas from The Waltons and you can kinda-sorta count Sybil Danning (was in The Salamander but that came out after this). I'm shocked that he never seems to scored something with John Saxon!

Posted:   Nov 11, 2023 - 9:52 AM   
 By:   William R.   (Member)

From what I understand, without this score, Horner would not have been hired for WRATH OF KHAN. This was THE crucial stepping stone in his early career. Despite the temp track lifts and the poor orchestral performance (Horner was apparently paying the non-union musicians out of his own pocket), it's a spirited, exciting work that laid the foundation for stuff like the TREK scores, KRULL, WILLOW, THE ROCKETEER, ZORRO, etc.

Posted:   Nov 11, 2023 - 9:56 AM   
 By:   Stephen Woolston   (Member)

Brilliant!

I mean it's NOT a great score, just like Humanoids From The Deep wasn't, and, let's face it, it rips off all over the place.

But I absolutely love it anyway.

It has simply entered a special place in film music history and our hearts.

Very happy.

Cheers

Posted:   Nov 11, 2023 - 10:01 AM   
 By:   OneBuckFilms   (Member)

That is indeed the case. It was on the strength of this score that Nicholas Meyer decided to hire James Horner for TWOK after he realized he couldn’t afford to rehire Jerry Goldsmith.

BBTS was clearly heavily influenced by Star Trek TMP, and he had attended some of the recording sessions.

Even at this point there were clear indications of Horner’s own sound coming through.

Posted:   Nov 11, 2023 - 10:05 AM   
 By:   cshaneyfelt   (Member)

Very excited about having a proper presentation of this music. I remember seeing the film on Cinemax or HBO in 1981 but tuning in while the movie was in progress. Since I didn't have a VCR (they were a bit costly then) I waited until the film was repeated, about a week later, at something like 4AM just so I could see who did the music (which I thought was really well done, this despite the performance errors in the brass). The next time I saw Horner's name was a short time later (maybe a month or two), in a print ad for Wolfen, an apparent "step up" from "Battle." So I knew this was someone who was going places.

Nice reflections about your first viewings of "Battle Beyond the Stars"! I must have seen it on TV around the same time, when I was visiting relatives in NY. They had a VCR and taped some things they thought a 7-year-old kid would like (probably to shut me up) and "Battle" really caught my attention. I remember loving it, though I was probably too young then to be discerning! I'm still fond of the movie in spite of its faults, and have always loved Horner's score, having played the LP for many years.

I am thrilled about the upcoming Intrada "Battle" CD as well, and eager to learn more about its contents next week. It's been terrific getting expanded editions of these older Horner titles - I play Intrada's "Deadly Blessing" and "Humanoids from the Deep" albums a LOT!

Posted:   Nov 11, 2023 - 10:41 AM   
 By:   Spinmeister   (Member)

The film is pants. So is the score. But I do have a soft spot for the formal structure of his "Epilogue and End Title" …plus there's those jubilant whooping horns (which he would employ shortly later in Star Trek II and Krull); the punchy coda is always highly anticipated.

Oh, and that rerecording by Nic Raine is pants too.

Posted:   Nov 11, 2023 - 11:51 AM   
 By:   c8   (Member)

Wasn't it established/stated that it was Wolfen, not BBTS, that got Horner TWOK? I mean, and to be fair to the situation, Khan's main title is a light rewrite of BBTS. Then again, so is the visual design of Khan's opening credits. Its always striking to me how...identical...Khan's opening credits look to BBTS.

Posted:   Nov 11, 2023 - 12:24 PM   
 By:   Bus-Punk   (Member)

Holy guacamole !!

I never thought this would happen! My favourite Horner score (partly due, it must be said, to nostalgic reasons). THANK YOU Intrada!!! Stunned.

Posted:   Nov 11, 2023 - 12:47 PM   
 By:   paulhickling   (Member)

Fantastic news. I have a fraction of the collections most of you have on here. But this is one I would have snapped up back in the day. For some reason it passed me by. Glad I waited. No double dipping!

I absolutely heard all the influences watching the movie in the cinema. Loved the slap dash approach to the movie. Exactly the way to do Star Wars on a Corman budget. The score followed suit. So what? If the end result is fun and enjoyable, why not?

Posted:   Nov 11, 2023 - 2:17 PM   
 By:   Disco Stu   (Member)

Does this recording also fix the trombone or French horn player that can't reach the proper notes as he can't keep up with the rest? If that is what made Horner stop the release of the recording, I can understand him completely because that rubbish performance stopped me from listening more than once to that CD. It's grating.

D.S.

Posted:   Nov 11, 2023 - 2:23 PM   
 By:   Scott McOldsmith   (Member)

No fixed French horn - no sale!

Posted:   Nov 11, 2023 - 4:09 PM   
 By:   Joe Sikoryak   (Member)

You may want to make some SPACE on your shelf for this one.

Posted:   Nov 11, 2023 - 4:24 PM   
 By:   Kevin Costigan   (Member)

I can hear the much improved sound quality in the new clip!

Posted:   Nov 11, 2023 - 4:26 PM   
 By:   Spinmeister   (Member)

I can hear the much improved sound quality in the new clip!

Indubitably.

Posted:   Nov 11, 2023 - 4:37 PM   
 By:   Avatarded   (Member)

If I'm right, they might have been able to combine takes to FIX the issues with the brass performances. The small sample of the end title fixes the flubbed trumpet notes.

Posted:   Nov 11, 2023 - 4:58 PM   
 By:   OneBuckFilms   (Member)

Incredible improvement. I can hear things I never heard in the LP clearly.

Posted:   Nov 11, 2023 - 4:59 PM   
 By:   DJS   (Member)

Is there a thread somewhere regarding the story of this score and all of it's releases, errors, shortcomings, etc?

Posted:   Nov 11, 2023 - 5:00 PM   
 By:   Yavar Moradi   (Member)

That’s what was done with Superman IV for album, IIRC. Modern tech used to splice together parts of different takes for a better performance. Would be great news if they managed the same for this. I don’t care about having the identical (bad) performance to the film or original album, if something that’s better musically can be achieved.

Great job on that awesome soundtrack trailer Joe!

Yavar