Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Sep 27, 2023 - 4:00 PM   
 By:   Reeve   (Member)

Hi Mike;
I am an enormous fan of this film; and I do believe – that I have seen a version of the film; where Julie Andrews; actually sings the complete opening vocals of the title song – of course; I could be imagining it; as I was only seven years old at the time…
But funnily enough; when I went to learn how to play the piano; my teacher advised me that there is version of the film which was televised; where Julie Andrews; sings these actual phrases…
I am not so keen to see the film version of the performance; as I would absolutely love to have it available in this stunning set.
Crisp and clear in all its astounding glory!
(Then; once we get the recording; maybe 20th Century Fox can release the footage)…
Anyway; the question begs to be asked:
Was it recorded? And if so… is it included in this set?

Here are the lyrics:

‘My day in the hills
Has come to an end, I know.
A star has come out
To tell me it’s time to go,
But deep in the dark-green shadows
Are voices that urge me to stay.
So I pause and I wait and I listen
For one more sound,
For one more lovely thing
That the hills might say…
The hills are alive, with the sound of music…’
…etc.

THANK YOU!

Posted:   Sep 27, 2023 - 4:01 PM   

Also; just as explained above; at the conclusion of the film… I believe there was a complete version of – ‘Do-Re-MI’ – sung at the festival.
Is the complete – (festival version) – of ‘DO-RE-MI’ included in this set?

Thanks a million!
I am eternally grateful for this release!

Posted:   Sep 27, 2023 - 4:02 PM   
 By:   Bob DiMucci   (Member)

I wonder if it’s possible if the other R&H films with surviving tapes could get similar treatment (I’ve read that the tapes for Oklahoma! are lost, and Mike mentioned elsewhere that South Pacific was MIA).
----------------------------------------
You've got some albums on Capitol, so those would have to be a UMG/Concord/Disney cooperative. Not impossible, but more challenging.

You could drop Disney for FLOWER DRUM SONG, but it may be R&H that doesn't want that one to resurface.

Posted:   Sep 27, 2023 - 4:28 PM   
 By:   lacoq   (Member)

Hi Mike;
I am an enormous fan of this film; and I do believe – that I have seen a version of the film; where Julie Andrews; actually sings the complete opening vocals of the title song – of course; I could be imagining it; as I was only seven years old at the time…
But funnily enough; when I went to learn how to play the piano; my teacher advised me that there is version of the film which was televised; where Julie Andrews; sings these actual phrases…
I am not so keen to see the film version of the performance; as I would absolutely love to have it available in this stunning set.
(Then; once we get the recording; maybe 20th Century Fox can release the footage)…

Here are the lyrics:

‘My day in the hills
A star has come out
For one more sound,
…etc.

THANK YOU!

You could be right, but the only time I ever heard the opening section of the song sung was on the original Broadway Cast album by Mary Martin… 1959..

Posted:   Sep 27, 2023 - 4:46 PM   
 By:   EdG   (Member)

You could be right, but the only time I ever heard the opening section of the song sung was on the original Broadway Cast album by Mary Martin… 1959..

I think that was the Broadway album, too. My parents were big fans. Editorially I can't quite see where those lyrics would have ever fit into the opening of the film.

Posted:   Sep 27, 2023 - 4:48 PM   
 By:   jgcoco27   (Member)

Hi Mike;

Here are the lyrics:

‘My day in the hills
A star has come out
For one more sound,
…etc.

THANK YOU!

This was never used for the film version.

Posted:   Sep 27, 2023 - 5:40 PM   
 By:   jamesluckard   (Member)

Have the feature film distribution rights also reverted to R&H? Is that something you're able to address?

The movie was removed from Disney+ and all streaming services a few months back, and the Blu-Rays and DVDs seem to be out of print now.

It always reverts to R&H periodically, and has done so since 1977. It requires renegotiation each time and over the years there was a good cooperative built between them and 20th. We're just in one of those moments right now but it will be hashed out as it always is.

Ah, good to know this isn't anything catastrophic, thanks!

Looks like Oklahoma, The King and I and South Pacific all reverted from Disney/20th Century to R&H at once earlier this year. Do the theatrical distribution rights for those 4 all revert each time as a package deal?

Posted:   Sep 27, 2023 - 5:53 PM   
 By:   TerraEpon   (Member)

Wow this is pretty crazy.

Looks like like 2CD is the full songs&score with no silly kareoke tracks or demos.....might have to upgrade.
Looks like THAT version is only going to be on CD/LP and not digitally which only has the normal album and most, but not all, of the 'Super Deluxe'.

So is there anything in the 2CD set that isn't going to be on the digital?

Posted:   Sep 27, 2023 - 6:03 PM   
 By:   TacktheCobbler   (Member)

Quick question for Mike:

In another thread, you mentioned that the 1 minute-worth of nature sounds found on the opening track of the 50th Anniversary edition of the soundtrack were part of the original album master. Will the OST portion of the Super Deluxe Edition include the full nature sounds opening or will it fade-in just a few seconds before the actual music starts like on most editions of the original soundtrack album?

Posted:   Sep 27, 2023 - 6:06 PM   
 By:   Mike Matessino   (Member)

Reeve: The recitative opening of "The Sound of Music" was never recorded for the film. Ernest Lehman dropped it from the screenplay after he went to Austria with William Wyler and devised the scening opening of the movie.

"Do-Re-Mi" at the festival is now included in the presentation.

Posted:   Sep 27, 2023 - 6:10 PM   

Quick question for Mike:

In another thread, you mentioned that the 1 minute-worth of nature sounds found on the opening track of the 50th Anniversary edition of the soundtrack were part of the original album master. Will the OST portion of the Super Deluxe Edition include the full nature sounds opening or will it fade-in just a few seconds before the actual music starts like on most editions of the original soundtrack album?

All of it is included since it was on one of the previous reissues. And I also felt that if some crazy person listens to the first two CDs and then goes right onto the third, it gives the ears a nice reset after the interview tracks and brings you back into the music.

Posted:   Sep 27, 2023 - 6:12 PM   

Thank You for clarifying Mike.
(For some reason I always believed that there was an extended version of the film; with that scene being intact).

Also; thanks so much for advising on the 'Do Re Mi'... I can't wait to hear it!

This is definitely the release of the year!!!

Posted:   Sep 27, 2023 - 6:16 PM   

Looks like Oklahoma, The King and I and South Pacific all reverted from Disney/20th Century to R&H at once earlier this year. Do the theatrical distribution rights for those 4 all revert each time as a package deal?

It's complex. From the outside, it always looked like six movies got released together, clean and simple, but in fact (too lazy to italicize at the moment), State Fair and Carousel are controlled by 20th, Oklahoma! and South Pacific by R&H, and The King and I and The Sound of Music are subject to the periodic renewal. Only The Sound of Music had non-perpetuity soundtrack rights, with renewal by RCA Victor/Sony happening every 10 years, but once Concord bought R&H in 2017 they didn't renew the license, obviously because they are a record company now owning the property, the stage show, the publishing, etc. But for the other titles, the OST controlling label would be involved.

Posted:   Sep 27, 2023 - 7:52 PM   

It states here that the Festival reprise of 'Do-Re-Mi' is not complete...
...as I have found the time references...

— 39. Do-Re-Mi (Festival Reprise) – Julie Andrews (1:11)

— 81. Do-Re-Mi (Festival Reprise / Instrumental Version) (1:00)

I was hoping for a two minute version (at least)... because in the film; it begins halfway...

What happened to the opening of that version?

I'm sure it wasn't recorded that way?

Or do we need to edit our own versions?

Anyone interested... here are the time references:

https://filmmusicreporter.com/2023/09/27/the-sound-of-music-super-deluxe-edition-soundtrack-album-announced/

Posted:   Sep 27, 2023 - 8:11 PM   

It states here that the Festival reprise of 'Do-Re-Mi' is not complete...
...as I have found the time references...

— 39. Do-Re-Mi (Festival Reprise) – Julie Andrews (1:11)

— 81. Do-Re-Mi (Festival Reprise / Instrumental Version) (1:00)

I was hoping for a two minute version (at least)... because in the film; it begins halfway...

What happened to the opening of that version?

I'm sure it wasn't recorded that way?

Or do we need to edit our own versions?

Anyone interested... here are the time references:

https://filmmusicreporter.com/2023/09/27/the-sound-of-music-super-deluxe-edition-soundtrack-album-announced/

The full version heard in the stage show was not recorded for the movie. The tracks are what they are and presented as recorded. The film version has an orchestra intro, which is a repeat of the start from "I Have Confidence," and that bit is not repeated for track 81.

Posted:   Sep 27, 2023 - 8:13 PM   
 By:   Josh   (Member)

Wow, this is huge. Congrats, Mike.

Posted:   Sep 27, 2023 - 8:22 PM   

Thanks Mike; I sincerely appreciate the information.
Every tiny bit of expertise helps me out immensely.
I graciously thank you!

Posted:   Sep 27, 2023 - 8:37 PM   

It's complex. From the outside, it always looked like six movies got released together, clean and simple, but in fact (too lazy to italicize at the moment), State Fair and Carousel are controlled by 20th, Oklahoma! and South Pacific by R&H, and The King and I and The Sound of Music are subject to the periodic renewal. Only The Sound of Music had non-perpetuity soundtrack rights, with renewal by RCA Victor/Sony happening every 10 years, but once Concord bought R&H in 2017 they didn't renew the license, obviously because they are a record company now owning the property, the stage show, the publishing, etc. But for the other titles, the OST controlling label would be involved.

Gotcha, it does sound super confusing.

I had read that Disney/20th owns State Fair and Carousel.

Do you think the other 4 R&H films will return to Disney/20th? Is it possible R&H might find a new theatrical/home video distributor for those 4? Or is that not something you feel comfortable commenting on? If so, I totally understand.

Thank you SO, SO much for being accessible here for comments and questions, in addition to my undying thanks for the amazing albums you always create! smile

Posted:   Sep 27, 2023 - 8:43 PM   

I don't know. I think R&H would prefer the continuity of the 20th distribution partnership, but the company that acquired the studio is of a different temperament.

Posted:   Sep 27, 2023 - 9:51 PM   

I don't know. I think R&H would prefer the continuity of the 20th distribution partnership, but the company that acquired the studio is of a different temperament.

I appreciate your insight, I know it's a complicated, fluid situation.