Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Nov 15, 2023 - 9:35 PM   
 By:   Willgoldnewtonbarrygrusin   (Member)

LOL. Most of the score was rejected :

"Martin Phipps’ free-reed score, which Scott often ditches in favor of repurposing the music that Dario Marianelli wrote for Joe Wright’s “Pride & Prejudice”

--> https://www.indiewire.com/criticism/movies/napoleon-review-ridley-scott-joaquin-phoenix-1234926076/

Why LOL...? I can't imagine Phipps being happy...

Scott is famously in love with temp scores. No composer can compete.

Posted:   Nov 15, 2023 - 11:46 PM   
 By:   .   (Member)

Phoenix can't raise his voice without it turning into a croak. He spends most of his time whispering his lines.
Has he ever done a stage play? From what I've seen of him, I can't imagine he could project his voice sufficiently for a theatre performance.
Him as Napoleon? Hopefully there will be a version dubbed in French by someone with some kind of vocal authority, plus sub-titles.
The thought of Phoenix performing a speech like Mark Antony's "Friends, Romans, Countrymen" from Julius Caesar, addressing the throng with his puny voice, is risible. But here he is cast as an even greater political orator and deliverer of stirring addresses to massed armies, in Napoleon.

Posted:   Nov 16, 2023 - 1:29 AM   
 By:   Nicolai P. Zwar   (Member)

I thought THE LAST DUEL undermined its very premise by framing the finale (Marguerite's) version of the story as "the truth"? WTF? The very idea of the movie (and its obvious narrative predecessor RASHOMON) is the elusiveness of full truth, of how our perception of things is influenced by our own point of view. By presenting three different version of the same story from three different perspectives, which almost makes the same story three different stories, but then designating one as "true", it totally undermines the entire idea of having different perspectives. Why even bother with the other two story versions if they are "subjective" but the last one is "objective"? That sure is a glaring misstep RASHOMON never made.

Very much looking forward to NAPOLEON though.

Posted:   Nov 16, 2023 - 2:47 AM   
 By:   CindyLover   (Member)

Scott is famously in love with temp scores. No composer can compete.

A good thing he only produced The A-Team or he might've tried to track the movie with Post/Carpenter cues from the series.

Posted:   Nov 16, 2023 - 6:07 AM   
 By:   AdoKrycha007   (Member)

A good thing he only produced The A-Team or he might've tried to track the movie with Post/Carpenter cues from the series.

still better music, than unmemorable Silvestri's score roll eyes

Posted:   Nov 16, 2023 - 7:17 AM   
 By:   Ado   (Member)

I hope that Black Sabbath song in the trailer is not actually in the film?

Ridley is indeed famously terrible with composers, even though some fantastic scores like Legend and Alien have emerged somehow

Posted:   Nov 16, 2023 - 7:54 AM   
 By:   villagardens553   (Member)

Quite liked his War and Peace score, which may have brought him to mind for Napoleon.

Posted:   Nov 16, 2023 - 8:05 AM   
 By:   joan hue   (Member)

I've read two reviews. Both seem to feel that the battles are epic, but the story is weak. Oh well, I'd still like the see it.

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/napoleon-movie-review-2023

Posted:   Nov 16, 2023 - 10:16 AM   
 By:   nuts_score   (Member)

I have hated the trailers for this one, and think Phoenix is all wrong for the role (despite being an actor I quite love), so I'm quite trepidatious when it comes to this one. I quite liked The Last Duel when I saw it in theaters but haven't once thought about it outside remembering that I saw it in theaters. Ridley Scott's workhorse mentality of burning through a production to begin working on the next production has seemed to give these late period movies a lack of any sense of purpose or care. I'll be curious to hear what others think but it'll be awhile before I find myself watching it.

Posted:   Nov 16, 2023 - 10:44 AM   
 By:   Willgoldnewtonbarrygrusin   (Member)

I have hated the trailers for this one, and think Phoenix is all wrong for the role (despite being an actor I quite love), so I'm quite trepidatious when it comes to this one. I quite liked The Last Duel when I saw it in theaters but haven't once thought about it outside remembering that I saw it in theaters. Ridley Scott's workhorse mentality of burning through a production to begin working on the next production has seemed to give these late period movies a lack of any sense of purpose or care. I'll be curious to hear what others think but it'll be awhile before I find myself watching it.

I always felt that the prejudice against Scott is justified: he does not care enough about story but rather seems to neglect the script during production to concentrate on his visual preferences.

This one, according to Scott himself, was rewritten when Phoenix did not know how to play Napoleon, and while this is a common practice to placate a star it rarely ends up in a great script.

Posted:   Nov 16, 2023 - 12:42 PM   
 By:   Spinmeister   (Member)

Looks great "but the story is weak."

Par for the course, no?

Posted:   Nov 16, 2023 - 3:05 PM   
 By:   Rameau   (Member)

Looks great "but the story is weak."

Par for the course, no?

Ha, & the story of Napoleon is anything but weak, but I hope it's a good film for the sake of the fans who want to see it. It'll be interesting to see how it performs, as I get the impression that historical films don't do so well these days.

I think Scott made a mistake by saying they'd be a four hour cut for streaming (& probably on disc), as some of the reviews are calling it a bit choppy, as if we're seeing a cut down version (2h 38m). Whatever, I'd like a swig of whatever 85 year old Ridley Scott is on.

Posted:   Nov 21, 2023 - 12:21 AM   
 By:   moolik   (Member)

I guess this will be Scott´s BEST FILM OSCAR WIN since Gladiator and maybe 6 or 7 additional ones.Nolan will be the big looser .
Musical wise..not sure...dont know what NAPOLEON will sound like.Will it be soundscapes or music?

Posted:   Nov 21, 2023 - 7:14 AM   
 By:   Jason LeBlanc   (Member)

The score album is now available in any country where it is already Wednesday

1. Napoleon’s Piano (2:13)
2. Toulon (3:25)
3. Josephine (3:08)
4. Soldiers of the 5th Regiment (4:22)
5. Ladies in Waiting (1:52)
6. Austerlitz Kyrie – Martin Phipps & Ensemble Organum (2:55)
7. We Are Discovered (6:04)
8. Make the Rain Stop (2:07)
9. Look Down (1:58)
10. First Counsel (2:47)
11. Russia (4:14)
12. Return to France (1:47)
13. Waterloo Requiem (4:24)
14. Downfall – Martin Phipps & Ensemble Organum (3:32)
15. Bonaparte’s Lament – Martin Phipps & Ensemble Spartimu (2:43)

https://music.apple.com/nz/album/napoleon-soundtrack-from-the-apple-original-film/1715501941

Posted:   Nov 21, 2023 - 1:20 PM   

I guess this will be Scott´s BEST FILM OSCAR WIN since Gladiator and maybe 6 or 7 additional ones.

This will probably be unlikely. Apple Films will likely put all their ducks behind Killers of the Flower Moon come Oscar campaigning season. So far the critical reaction to Napoleon has been a non-starter and I'd be surprised if it even hits half of the box office draw of the Scorsese film (Joaquin Phoenix, a brilliant actor, is not a "star" in the sense that DiCaprio and De Niro are). Even Ridley Scott's presence on the promotional circuit seems to be more interested in fielding questions/comments on his work of the past and/or the upcoming Gladiator 2, rather than his new film. Never worry though, Ridley is already hard at work on two more movies that could be something that comes out during the lead-in to Oscar season though. Napoleon will likely see some technical nods, however. It looks very well produced.

Posted:   Nov 21, 2023 - 1:30 PM   
 By:   BornOfAJackal   (Member)

Bad Ridley Scott is usually better than most other movies.

The Last Duel and House of Gucci really entertained me.

Posted:   Nov 21, 2023 - 7:23 PM   

Bad Ridley Scott is usually better than most other movies.

The Last Duel and House of Gucci really entertained me.

I certainly agree. I did enjoy The Last Duel; I've just seen it the one time in cinemas. Nothing about it begged me to come back for a re-watch. Unfortunately I found House of Gucci to be one of his worst. I just found it nauseating to sit through with the miscalculated performances and neverending needle drops. And this goes for 2 and a half hours. I have discovered from fans of this particular film that the movie is meant to be taken at camp value... I'm personally not sold. I remember a great interview with Ridley Scott on Marc Maron's podcast and he talked at length of the passion he and his wife had for the story and what they hoped to tell. I did not think that translated to the screen but the production was still handsome.

Posted:   Nov 21, 2023 - 11:07 PM   
 By:   Lokutus   (Member)

Posted:   Nov 21, 2023 - 11:26 PM   
 By:   keky   (Member)

I guess this will be Scott´s BEST FILM OSCAR WIN since Gladiator and maybe 6 or 7 additional ones.Nolan will be the big looser .

I don't think so. The Academy nowadays prefer smaller, more artsy or independent movies as Best Picture winners. Those times are gone when historic epics could win Oscars. (Unfortunately, in my opinion...)

Posted:   Nov 22, 2023 - 12:21 AM   
 By:   Lokutus   (Member)

Yes, not enough Chinese, Mongoloids, retards, gays and everything in between in it to qualify.