Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   May 22, 2015 - 8:13 PM   
 By:   Guy   (Member)

SOLD OUT - CIMARRON
SOLD OUT - THX 1138
SOLD OUT - DAMN THE DEFIANT! / BEHOLD A PALE HORSE

Posted:   May 22, 2015 - 8:53 PM   
 By:   Warunsun   (Member)

Nice sale. I picked up some titles I have been eying for a long time.

Posted:   May 22, 2015 - 9:27 PM   
 By:   Turbo   (Member)

Along with the more obvious titles, I recommend WHOSE LIFE IS IT, ANYWAY by Arthur Rubinstein, for pure (stand alone) listening enjoyment.

I just listened to the samples and that style of music is what I love. Any other lesser known gems you might suggest?

Posted:   May 22, 2015 - 10:15 PM   
 By:   Lukas Kendall   (Member)

Please check out The Thief Who Came to Dinner if you have never heard it—prime groovy '70s Mancini.

Lukas

Posted:   May 22, 2015 - 10:15 PM   
 By:   JeffM   (Member)

I picked up Star Trek III and Twilight Zone. I really wanted to get Poltergeist but I was already over my CD budget and it wasn't on the low quantity list like the first two were. I realize that ST III will most likely get repressed or put out by another label, but that isn't a risk I wanted to take. Plus at least whatever happens, the spine will still match my ST II and that's really all that matters right? wink

Posted:   May 22, 2015 - 11:34 PM   
 By:   CitizenJoe   (Member)

Fantastic sale! Picked up Ben Hur, Poltergeist and Under Fire!

Posted:   May 23, 2015 - 12:15 AM   
 By:   BTTFFan   (Member)

Picked up Frantic and Star Trek III. Have not heard of Morricone's frantic until now. The samples are outstanding.

Posted:   May 23, 2015 - 1:16 AM   
 By:   Adventures of Jarre Jarre   (Member)

Nabbed Frantic, Lili, and 633 Squadron (at last, my Where Eagles Dare CD has its sibling!). Also picked up Star Trek III, last Xmas, for myself and my brother (who would've been PPPPPPPPPPISSED to miss out on that).

Posted:   May 23, 2015 - 4:19 AM   
 By:   Simon Underwood   (Member)

I'm down to about 30 titles now on my FSM want list (+ a couple that are OOP I'll just have to get lucky with on ebay!) and there are a few on these lists, so just placed an order for -

The Man From U.N.C.L.E. Vol 1
Big Wednesday
Heavy Metal
CHIPS Vol 3

May well be back for another 4 before Tuesday!

Posted:   May 23, 2015 - 4:35 AM   
 By:   Grecchus   (Member)

Will FSM's own discography page be updated to reflect availability as of now - this obviously gives a quick overview of what is there to be had against the entire collection of 250? So far, it's something like 31% of all the original 250 that have gone.

Posted:   May 23, 2015 - 4:40 AM   
 By:   jpteacher568   (Member)

What about Alfred Newman's lush romantic score for the 1952 version of THE PRISONER OF ZENDA? Can you tell me how many copies are available and if it would sell out before the end of the sale?

http://filmscoremonthly.com/cds/detail.cfm/cdID/288/

Posted:   May 23, 2015 - 6:00 AM   
 By:   Ag^Janus   (Member)

I always wanted THE LONG, LONG TRAILER.

Shipping to Australia is a killer.

Posted:   May 23, 2015 - 6:01 AM   
 By:   KonstantinosZ   (Member)

Got Raintree County at last.
This is one of my favourite movies and looking forward to a Bluray of it, although it doesn't seem so likely.
Also it was one of the first scores that drew my attention to the music of a film.
I remember playing over and over the ending of a VHS recorded from TV to hear the ending chorus.

Posted:   May 23, 2015 - 10:07 AM   
 By:   eriknelson   (Member)

I ordered a bunch.

BROTHERS KARAMAZOV
FRANTIC
UNTAMED
AUNTIE MAME/ROME ADVENTURE
SILVER CHALICE
BULLITT
WHOSE LIFE IS IT ANYWAY?

That should keep me busy for a while.

Posted:   May 23, 2015 - 10:16 AM   
 By:   Martin B.   (Member)

Picked up four titles

The Thief Who Came To Dinner
Prisoner Of Zenda
Seventh Sin
The World, The Flesh And The Devil

Posted:   May 23, 2015 - 11:58 AM   
 By:   craig2   (Member)

THE PRISONER OF ZENDA

Hi and still have 300+!!!

Craig

Posted:   May 23, 2015 - 1:28 PM   
 By:   GoblinScore   (Member)

THE PRISONER OF ZENDA

Craig

Had to add some kudos here, Fantastic Newman
piece, in a way my introduction to his music.
Still a favorite, lovely themes & very accessible album....straddles romance, swashbuckling, even some impressionistic writing - interesting back story too, about the original version & the '52 presented here.
-Sean

Posted:   May 23, 2015 - 1:36 PM   

THE PRISONER OF ZENDA

Craig

Had to add some kudos here, Fantastic Newman
piece, in a way my introduction to his music.
Still a favorite, lovely themes & very accessible album....straddles romance, swashbuckling, even some impressionistic writing - interesting back story too, about the original version & the '52 presented here.
-Sean

Here is a review of THE PRISONER OF ZENDA:

The Prisoner of Zenda  
Music by Alfred Newman
  Available from Film Score Monthly FSM Vol.7 No.1
Running Time: 58:27
Available from: film score monthly, 8503 Washington Boulevard, Culver City, CA90232; Tel: 1-888-345-6335; overseas: 310-253-9595; fax: 310-253-9588 e-mail: Info@filmscoremonthly.com

Film Score Monthly booklets never cease to intrigue. On this occasion we learn that Stewart Granger personally prompted and financially guaranteed a scene-by-scene Technicolor M-G-M remake of the 1937 David O Selznick production of The Prisoner of Zenda that had starred Ronald Colman and Madeleine Carroll with Douglas Fairbanks Jnr and David Niven. (This vintage black and white film is still the quintessential Zenda according to most aficionados.) In the acting stakes, the rather nasally Granger was no match for the suave Colman, but having said that Granger was perfectly satisfactory in the dual role of Rudolf Rassendyll and the King. The film was shot under budget and in just 28 days by Richard "One-Take" Thorpe.[The 1952 remake also starred Deborah Kerr, James Mason, Jane Greer and Robert Douglas].
The original score for the O'Selznick production had been written by Alfred Newman. Stewart Granger suggested reusing Newman's music for the 1952 remake. Johnny Green, M-G-M's music chief, agreed but decided that Conrad Salinger should reorchestrate and adapt the score for the remake. Newman had used the Wagnerian principal of leitmotifs, assigning specific themes to characters or action Salinger's contribution was to round out the music and add a dimension that recalled Richard Strauss. In fact Strauss's Don Juan is quoted quite openly in the exciting 'Main Title' that opens with fanfares and embraces music of nobility, heroism, and one of Newman's loveliest love themes that reaches a rapturous apotheosis in 'Colman and Flavia walk inside' - as the Princess finds herself falling for Rassendyll thinking it is the King reformed.
The pomp and circumstance of the coronation scenes is brilliantly caught with a mix of Newman's fanfares and his Ruritanian National Anthem, and source music: a Bach chorale and a Handel Chorus ('See the Conquering Hero') here reproduced in stereo. Then there is the a capella female chorus that greets the appearance of Princess Flavia (which is slightly Hollywood kitsch). Finally there is a snippet of a Donna Nobis Pacem by Mozart as Rassendyll and Flavia leave the Cathedral.
In addition, there is more source music for the ball scene, while Newman's original music includes hunt/chase material and arresting sequences of intrigue and suspense when the King is kidnapped and imprisoned in the castle of Zenda, and excitement as Rasendyll rescues the King after duelling with Rupert of Hentzau (Mason). A notable Ravel-like theme is given to Prince Michael's French lover, Antoinette.
A memorable, noble, heroic, swashbuckling score, full of romance and excitement.
Ian Lace
41/2

Posted:   May 23, 2015 - 2:10 PM   
 By:   GoblinScore   (Member)

So, I was right on all counts, at last! ;-)
I think the source music, which I personally
despise most of the time, even if it's Handel etc.
is very well used & placed here. I've passed many an album when there is too much of that. Not for human consumption, when half of more of the run time is that stuff.....no sale! Unless it's by John Barry. Or Lalo's Pretty Maids score on FSM. Then it's ok. ;-)

-Sean

Posted:   May 23, 2015 - 2:22 PM   

So, I was right on all counts, at last! ;-)
I think the source music, which I personally
despise most of the time, even if it's Handel etc.
is very well used & placed here. I've passed many an album when there is too much of that. Not for human consumption, when half of more of the run time is that stuff.....no sale! Unless it's by John Barry. Or Lalo's Pretty Maids score on FSM. Then it's ok. ;-)

-Sean

I personally believe that many of the FSM Golden Age scores would have sold better if marketed more to the listening public.