Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Mar 26, 2018 - 9:28 AM   
 By:   babbelballetje   (Member)

Listening to this, I wish this wasn't such a curated release and hopefully more music will get a release. The record sounds very clear and has a nice bass, but it does warp a little and isn't the best quality.

The sleeve is a lot more informative than I expected, having episodes listed where the music was lifted from. It even mentions composer Jonathan Merrill, who I never heard of before. The score was recorded in 1983-1984. Didn't know that either.

But all in all, FINALLY, after all these years, who would have thought??

Posted:   Mar 26, 2018 - 9:48 AM   
 By:   litefoot   (Member)

The sleeve is a lot more informative than I expected, having episodes listed where the music was lifted from. It even mentions composer Jonathan Merrill, who I never heard of before. The score was recorded in 1983-1984. Didn't know that either.

What I find astonishing is that the music was recorded in the former Czecholovakia!

Posted:   Mar 26, 2018 - 10:18 AM   

What I find astonishing is that the music was recorded in the former Czecholovakia!

It's even more astonishing there was a full orchestra score for a simple cartoon.

Posted:   Mar 26, 2018 - 10:39 AM   
 By:   Tom Servo   (Member)

It's even more astonishing there was a full orchestra score for a simple cartoon.

While most everything now is synth samples in animated shows, it wasn't that unusual back then for a small orchestra to be used to record library tracks for an animated program, there were other examples of this through the 70's and early 80's. What was really unprecedented was when WB contracted an orchestra for each new per episodes of Tiny Toons and Batman: The Animated Series in the early 90's.

Oh, and hopefully my copy should arrive today, I'm super excited!

Posted:   Mar 26, 2018 - 11:11 AM   

While most everything now is synth samples in animated shows, it wasn't that unusual back then for a small orchestra to be used to record library tracks for an animated program, there were other examples of this through the 70's and early 80's. What was really unprecedented was when WB contracted an orchestra for each new per episodes of Tiny Toons and Batman: The Animated Series in the early 90's.

It must have cost Hasbro a fortune to produce this. Tiny toons and Batman where special, those days are long gonefrown

Posted:   Mar 26, 2018 - 11:15 AM   

It must have cost Hasbro a fortune to produce this. Tiny toons and Batman where special, those days are long gonefrown

Sad but true, all we can do is be glad when this music gets released and celebrated.

Posted:   Mar 27, 2018 - 5:56 AM   

Well, it's been a surreal experience to dive into this album and finally hear some of this music in an official capacity, in great sounding stereo (for an LP), instead of edited rips the fans made for years off of DVDs, with FX and dips in sound. As a kid, in my naïveté, this was the album I imagined would be available in record stores at some point, right alongside the LP for the animated movie in 1986. So, a part of me feels as if someone traveled back in time to the mid-80's, uncovered copies of a produced-yet-unreleased G1 series soundtrack, brought it forward in time and made it available for sale. Of course, me in 2018 would prefer a CD or digital download. Of course, me in 2018 would prefer all the music for the show. But you know what, it's pretty amazing that I've now got 45 minutes of this music I've known and loved since 1984.

So, regarding the album itself... it's interesting that in the credits for each track there is a notation for season/episode where the cue appears, plus a time code. These are all library tracks and appeared in multiple episodes so I'm not sure whether this is meant to represent the initial use of the specific cue or its most notable appearance? It's also interesting to check out the composer credit and what is credited to Johnny Douglas and to Robert J. Walsh. It was always my impression that all music for season 1 was composed by Johnny Douglas, as it sounds like his music for The Amazing Spiderman, G.I. Joe and Dungeons & Dragons. It seemed to me that the new library cues appearing in season 2 episodes for both TF and G.I. Joe were all by Walsh, as they sounded different in style and tone. Well, apparently Walsh did a number of cues that showed up in season 1, along with a co-composer named Jonathan Merrill, whose name I've never seen before. Walsh is also credited as executive producer on this album.

The sonorous orchestral tracks from season 1 are the highlight for me, but I do still love those synth/pop tracks from season 3. The former represents around 32 minutes of album time, while the latter represents about 13 minutes. Track times are short as expected, some are 19 seconds, 21 seconds, but they flow well together. There is one track on side 2 which is a medley of 3 cues, so I'm surprised this wasn't done with some of the really short ones. It's really great to hear the development of Douglas's own themes for the show, outside of referencing the melodic line of the theme song. I love that heroic brass he adds, along with the low end piano and tons of timpani. Here's hoping for a volume two sometime soon!

Posted:   Mar 27, 2018 - 10:46 AM   

Well, it's been a surreal experience to dive into this album and finally hear some of this music in an official capacity, in great sounding stereo (for an LP), instead of edited rips the fans made for years off of DVDs, with FX and dips in sound. As a kid, in my naïveté, this was the album I imagined would be available in record stores at some point, right alongside the LP for the animated movie in 1986. So, a part of me feels as if someone traveled back in time to the mid-80's, uncovered copies of a produced-yet-unreleased G1 series soundtrack, brought it forward in time and made it available for sale. Of course, me in 2018 would prefer a CD or digital download. Of course, me in 2018 would prefer all the music for the show. But you know what, it's pretty amazing that I've now got 45 minutes of this music I've known and loved since 1984.

So, regarding the album itself... it's interesting that in the credits for each track there is a notation for season/episode where the cue appears, plus a time code. These are all library tracks and appeared in multiple episodes so I'm not sure whether this is meant to represent the initial use of the specific cue or its most notable appearance? It's also interesting to check out the composer credit and what is credited to Johnny Douglas and to Robert J. Walsh. It was always my impression that all music for season 1 was composed by Johnny Douglas, as it sounds like his music for The Amazing Spiderman, G.I. Joe and Dungeons & Dragons. It seemed to me that the new library cues appearing in season 2 episodes for both TF and G.I. Joe were all by Walsh, as they sounded different in style and tone. Well, apparently Walsh did a number of cues that showed up in season 1, along with a co-composer named Jonathan Merrill, whose name I've never seen before. Walsh is also credited as executive producer on this album.

The sonorous orchestral tracks from season 1 are the highlight for me, but I do still love those synth/pop tracks from season 3. The former represents around 32 minutes of album time, while the latter represents about 13 minutes. Track times are short as expected, some are 19 seconds, 21 seconds, but they flow well together. There is one track on side 2 which is a medley of 3 cues, so I'm surprised this wasn't done with some of the really short ones. It's really great to hear the development of Douglas's own themes for the show, outside of referencing the melodic line of the theme song. I love that heroic brass he adds, along with the low end piano and tons of timpani. Here's hoping for a volume two sometime soon!

Funny. I just read this same piece on the tfw2005 boards from you 5 minutes ago and was thinking, now that is -exactly- hitting the nail on the head!
Especially the part about the lost 1985 albumsmile

Posted:   Mar 27, 2018 - 12:57 PM   

Funny. I just read this same piece on the tfw2005 boards from you 5 minutes ago and was thinking, now that is -exactly- hitting the nail on the head!
Especially the part about the lost 1985 albumsmile

Too funny! Yeah, I just figured I'd post the same comments there as well, just to continue the discussion.

Posted:   Mar 27, 2018 - 1:03 PM   
 By:   johnbijl   (Member)

Nice posts from all of you. I hope this will get a normal release soon enough.

Posted:   Mar 28, 2018 - 10:01 AM   

Nice posts from all of you. I hope this will get a normal release soon enough.

Normal? I agree a record isn't normal, but neither is a cd and I'll doubt this will be on Spotifysmile

Posted:   Apr 3, 2018 - 10:45 AM   

Just a reminder of Rob Walsh's comments from April 2016, which we have probably forgotten:

"Currently remastering all the old Marvel and Hasbro orchestral scores for Sony Records release, so stay tuned. May be early summer 2016.

"I am working on the remastering now, and Hasbro and I are excited and looking forward to the releases of Transformers, G.I. Joe My Little Pony, series and movie, as well as Jem & the Holograms – starting around 1983 through 1988 or so. The original master tapes were in great condition, and I plan on remastering everything into 5.1 surround. We are not definite on this part yet, but may produce this in a boxed DVD set with newly filmed interviews of cast and crew and original artwork and some video footage. This is fairly large orchestra very well recorded with an MCI console in a European recording studio, and it’s sounding pretty spectacular so far. Sony Records will be releasing the albums."

Source: https://www.allspark.com/2016/04/robert-j-walsh-and-sony-records-to-release-original-transformers-g1-musical-scores/

I assume that the other shows will shortly get vinyl releases from Enjoy The Records as well.

Posted:   Apr 3, 2018 - 10:48 AM   
 By:   ryanpaquet   (Member)

I assume that the other shows will shortly get vinyl releases from Enjoy The Records as well.

Enjoy the Ride liked my Tweet when I suggested just that, so more is definitely on the way. Only a matter of time.

Posted:   Apr 3, 2018 - 10:56 AM   

Enjoy the Ride liked my Tweet when I suggested just that, so more is definitely on the way. Only a matter of time.

We're still in the dark on the CD front (or blu-ray!). I wish we knew what was happening.

Posted:   Apr 3, 2018 - 12:02 PM   
 By:   Adventures of Jarre Jarre   (Member)

• We're still in the dark on the CD front (or blu-ray!). I wish we knew what was happening.

How would a TV show from 1984 look on blu-ray? Other than the protective layer on the disc, I'm not sure about the quality of this. Though I am aware that older anime in general was usually filmed with 35mm stock.

•  
     Posted:   Apr 13, 2018 - 6:23 AM   

Re: Repressings of the Transformers vinyl.

"The repress should be available sometime over the summer , we’ll give a few days notice before they go on sale"

https://twitter.com/EnjoytherideRES/status/984783652826566656

Posted:   Apr 13, 2018 - 6:38 AM   

And more:

"Thank you very much smile Are there other 80s animated projects in the works?"

"We have lots of stuff in the works but nothing we can give more info or a definite timeline for just yet. Thanks for your interest"

Posted:   Apr 13, 2018 - 9:39 AM   

And more:

"Thank you very much smile Are there other 80s animated projects in the works?"

"We have lots of stuff in the works but nothing we can give more info or a definite timeline for just yet. Thanks for your interest"

Well, as frustrating as the quick sell-out was of this album, at least it shows Hasbro that there is an eager market for this market and they'll move faster allowing more music from this and other Sunbow shows to be released, whether from ETR or another label.

As an aside, I'm really loving listening to this initial album of Transformers G1 music. Yes, it's only 45 minutes, but it's a marvelous 45 minutes of music and it's still so surreal that can listen to these cues now in great stereo sound, even if it's an LP (or my transfer from LP to mp3s). It's interesting that in crafting the album, Rob Walsh basically followed how the cues were used in the opening 3-part mini-series of the show, while not selecting every cue.

Posted:   May 16, 2018 - 12:18 PM   

Geek Force Ultra? @GeekForceUltra May 3
    @EnjoytherideRES Any ETA for the Vinyl Transformers Soundtrack repress?

Enjoy The Ride/Toons? @EnjoytherideRES
    Replying to @GeekForceUltra
    Sometime over the summer , we are hoping in June but we do not have an exact date from the pressing plant yet. Once we have more definitive info then we will make it public, thanks for your interest

https://twitter.com/EnjoytherideRES/status/991964775587504129

Posted:   May 17, 2018 - 9:04 AM   
     By:   tyuan   (Member)

I just listened to this record from a friend of mine. Not happy.
    This record sounds quite bad: lots of pops, hiss and crackle. Still hoping in a digital (audio cd) edition, maybe with the genuine original mix of the titles tunes. I wouldn't pay a penny for this vinyl edition of my Holy Grail TV score.
    This 12" is a beautiful object for our eyes, but I listen to the music using my ears and they are still bleeding after listening to it.