Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Jul 20, 2013 - 8:34 AM   
 By:   tarasis   (Member)

Lots of great choices in here.

One that caught me, in part for its rarity in cinema was the end of Arlington Road. I really didn't see it coming (well I did, but couldn't believe they were going to do it but I was glad they did)

Posted:   Jul 21, 2013 - 9:21 PM   
 By:   Eugene Iemola   (Member)

Reading the title of this thread reminded me of that old grandaddy, CITIZEN KANE. Duh!

Oh, and how about the train going into the tunnel-thing at the end of North By Northwest. Always gets a laugh around my house.

Posted:   Jul 21, 2013 - 10:15 PM   
 By:   Reeler   (Member)

Lots of good ones. I'll throw in Memphis Belle (1990). After safely landing, the always-serious captain (Matthew Modine) asks his crew about the stowed away bottle of champagne and tricks them by spraying them in celebration. A terribly cliched movie though.

Posted:   Jul 21, 2013 - 10:34 PM   
 By:   Michael24   (Member)

How could I forget? Blade Runner. (The Director's Cut, of course.) "It's too bad she won't live. But then again, who does?" Deckard nods quietly in understanding, steps into the elevator, doors shut--BAM! Cut to black, credits roll, Vangelis music kicks in. Great ending.

Captain America is another one with an ending I love. It's sad but works so well because the great script actually gets us emotionally invested in Steve and Peggy. (Far more than the Iron Man movies ever do with Tony and Pepper, or Thor did with Thor and what's-her-name.) For a big budget summer action flick, it just about brought me to tears at the end and really worked on an emotional level.

Posted:   Jul 22, 2013 - 5:51 AM   
 By:   Mr. Jack   (Member)

"That's a good scream...a good scream..."