Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Mar 28, 2014 - 6:01 PM   
 By:   johnjohnson   (Member)

Scream Factory, the horror-thriller offshoot of independent film distributor Shout Factory, has confirmed that it plans to bring to Blu-ray director Greydon Clark's sci-fi thriller Without Warning (1980), starring Jack Palance, Martin Landau, Tarah Nutter, Cameron Mitchell, David Caruso, and Ralph Meeker. The release is expected to arrive on the U.S. market in August.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=13598

Posted:   Mar 28, 2014 - 6:06 PM   
 By:   Michael24   (Member)

Really excited to see Scream is bringing out Without Warning. Been hoping they could get ahold of that one since the label first kicked off. It's an effective little sci fi/horror flick that has a lot of good elements. It's like an early version of Predator, and in fact, Kevin Peter Hall also plays the alien in it, too! Curious to see what bonus features they will create. As they noted, it will also be the very first time it's ever been released on any home entertainment format in the US and Canada, so this is very cool news!

Posted:   Apr 8, 2014 - 7:09 PM   

Shout Factory has officially announced and detailed Herzog: The Collection. Limited to 5,000 copies, the 13-disc Blu-ray box set features 16 acclaimed films and documentaries, 15 of which are making their Blu-ray debuts. The release will be available for purchase on July 29th.

Herzog: The Collection also features a 40 page booklet that includes photos, an essay by award-winning author Stephen J. Smith, and in-depth film synopses by Herzog scholars Brad Prager and Chris Wahl. Bonus features include English and German audio commentaries, the documentaries Herzog in Africa and Portrait: Werner Herzog, interviews and original theatrical trailers.

Herzog has taken his camera to parts of the world no other director would dare go, and told stories in ways previously unconsidered. These sixteen masterpieces, which blur the line between "fiction" and "documentary," illustrate why Werner Herzog is the most intrepid, creative, and dangerous filmmaker of our lifetime.

BOX SET CONTENT:

Even Dwarfs Started Small

Land of Silence and Darkness

Fata Morgana

Aguirre, the Wrath of God

The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser

Heart of Glass

Stroszek

Woyzeck

Nosferatu the Vampyre

Fitzcarraldo

Ballad of the Little Soldier

Where the Green Ants Dream

Cobra Verde

Lessons of Darkness

Little Dieter Needs to Fly

My Best Fiend

Special Features:
English Audio Commentaries: Even Dwarfs Started Small, Fata Morgana, Aguirre, the Wrath of God, The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser, Heart of Glass, Strozek and Cobra Verde.
German Audio commentaries: Nosferatu the Vampyre, Fitzcarraldo, Where the Green Ants Dream.
In Conversation - Werner Herzog and Laurens Straub (in German with English Subtitles)
The Making of Nosferatu The Vampyre
Portrait: Werner Herzog documentary
Herzog In Africa documentary
Theatrical Trailers

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=13674

Posted:   Apr 10, 2014 - 11:58 AM   
 By:   Bob DiMucci   (Member)

"Herzog: The Collection (Limited Edition)" is up for pre-order at Amazon for $150--less that $10 per film on Blu-ray. I never would have expected something like this from Shout Factory. Although the films aren't likely to be restored, the pricing is in line with what Criterion charges for their Eclipse series. And this set will have bonus features to boot.

http://www.amazon.com/Herzog-Collection-Limited-Klaus-Kinski/dp/B00JGR3M26/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1397155823&sr=1-1&keywords=herzog%3A+the+collection

Posted:   Apr 29, 2014 - 3:27 PM   

Shout Factory has detailed its upcoming Blu-ray release of director Walter Hill's Southern Comfort (1981), starring Keith Carradine, Powers Boothe and Fred Ward. The release will be available for purchase on July 8th.

Special Features: •NEW High Definition Transfer
•Making of Southern Comfort - featuring new interviews with director/writer Walter Hill, producer/writer David Giler and actors Keith Carradine, Powers Boothe, Peter Coyote and Lewis Smith
•Theatrical Trailer
•Still Gallery

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=13853

Posted:   May 29, 2014 - 5:29 PM   

Scream Factory, the horror-thriller offshoot of independent film distributor Shout Factory, has detailed its upcoming Blu-ray release of director John Hough's The Legend of Hell House (1973), starring Roddy McDowall, Gayle Hunnicutt, Pamela Franklin, Peter Bowles, and Clive Revill. The release will be available for purchase on August 26th.

A team consisting of a physicist, his wife, a young female psychic and the only survivor of the previous visit are sent to the notorious Hell House to prove/disprove survival after death. Previous visitors have either been killed or gone mad, and it is up to the team to survive a full week in isolation, and solve the mystery of the Hell House.

Special Features:
New Interview With Director John Hough
New Audio Commentary With Actress Pamela Franklin
Original Theatrical Trailer

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=14103

Posted:   May 29, 2014 - 7:14 PM   
 By:   Ford A. Thaxton   (Member)

Really excited to see Scream is bringing out Without Warning. Been hoping they could get ahold of that one since the label first kicked off. It's an effective little sci fi/horror flick that has a lot of good elements. It's like an early version of Predator, and in fact, Kevin Peter Hall also plays the alien in it, too! Curious to see what bonus features they will create. As they noted, it will also be the very first time it's ever been released on any home entertainment format in the US and Canada, so this is very cool news!

Dumb movie, but for all intents and purposes it's "PREDATOR" just with bad acting and cheap effects.

But I'm still buying it.

Ford A. Thaxton

Posted:   May 29, 2014 - 8:00 PM   
 By:   David Sones (Allardyce)   (Member)

Saw it at a drive-in in 1980 when I was 9. It was part of a double feature with the Incredible Melting Man. The images in Without Warning have always stuck with me very vividly, particularly those skuzzy little monster discs that the main alien threw at his victims. And yellow snot dripping out of Larry Storch's face. Heh. I haven't seen it since then, so it will be a trip to revisit it!

Posted:   Jun 24, 2014 - 6:01 PM   

Scream Factory, the horror-thriller offshoot of independent film distributor Shout Factory, has detailed its upcoming Blu-ray release of George P. Cosmatos' Leviathan (1989), starring Peter Weller, Richard Crenna, Amanda Pays, Lisa Eilbacher, Meg Foster, Hector Elizondo, and Eugene Lipinski. The release will be available for purchase on August 19th.

Special Features:
New Interviews with:
Actors Hector Elizondo and Ernie Hudson
Creature effects artists Alec Gillis and Tom Woodruff Jr.
Original Theatrical Trailer

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=14320

Posted:   Jul 2, 2014 - 11:41 AM   

Scream Factory, the horror-thriller offshoot of independent film distributor Shout Factory, has officially announced that Clive Barker's long-awaited Nightbreed: The Director's Cut will be released on October 28th and will be available in two retail versions: A 5,000 Unit Limited-Edition 3-Disc Blu-ray set and a Special Edition DVD & Blu-ray Combo.

In 1990, the film was released theatrically nationwide. However, the movie studio edited the film extensively and several scenes were excised or rearranged – much to Director Clive Barker's disappointment. Since then, a fan-driven movement was created (www.OccupyMidian.com) to see the full version of the film restored and re-released. Now, after 25 years, fans and horror enthusiasts can finally experience NIGHTBREED like never before! Scream Factory, in conjunction with Warner Bros., was able to find the long-thought-missing original film elements and combed through over 600 boxes to locate not only the lost scenes but a treasure trove of never-before-seen footage as well. With nearly an hour of lost footage meticulously restored, the result is not only a more faithful adaptation of Clive Barker's book Cabal, but also what he originally intended NIGHTBREED to be.

Official statement from Clive Barker: "This is film history and beyond my wildest dreams of realization. When Scream Factory told me that they found the NIGHTBREED film footage I was gob-smacked! This is the ultimate validation of choices made by myself and Mark Miller [of Seraphim Films] all the way back in 2008. As we embarked down the road of attempting to track down the lost footage, we looked at each other and said, 'Maybe one day they'll find it.' It's my pleasure to announce that the day has come. Speaking personally, I didn't allow myself to believe that it would. Even if we did find some footage (which we did in 2009 in the form of heavily degraded VHS tapes) and even if we did find a company willing to release the film (which we did in 2013 with Scream Factory, God bless them) the prospect of finding the actual lost film materials was remoter than I'd wanted to admit out loud. If the footage could not be found by those who had worked closest on it the same year it had been released, then what were the odds we'd be able to find anything 20 years on? But Scream Factory, in their commendable determination, kept up the search and thanks to them total reconstruction has been made a possibility. There's never been a reconstruction that's had as little chance of succeeding and yet has succeeded on as many fronts as this film has. It's unprecedented. To now have a movie that we can put together in the way that I fully intended it to be seen when I first set out to make this film in 1989 is extraordinary. The project has moved inexorably to this conclusion. Fate and the hard work of individuals such as Mark Miller, Russell Cherrington, Phil and Sarah Stokes, Occupy Midian, Morgan Creek, and ultimately, Scream Factory have made this a possibility and I could not be happier."

CONTENT:

LIMITED EDITION SET (ONLY 5,000 NUMBERED SETS MADE): •Disc 1: Unrated Director's Cut of the film on Blu-ray
•Disc 2: The 1990 R-Rated theatrical version of the film on Blu-ray (through a special licensing agreement through Warner Bros.)
•Disc 3: EXCLUSIVE-TO-THIS-SET Bonus Blu-ray disc packed with extras (details forthcoming)
Includes Collector's Book with an essay and rare photos
Slipcase includes newly-designed artwork by Joel Robinson approved by Clive Barker
SPECIAL EDITION SET: •Disc 1: Unrated Director's Cut of the film on Blu-ray plus bonus features (details forthcoming)
•Disc 2: Unrated Director's Cut of the film on DVD (details forthcoming)
•Slipcase includes artwork designed by Ralph McQuarrie approved by Clive Barker

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=14368

Posted:   Jul 26, 2014 - 8:55 AM   

Earlier today at Comi-Con, U.S. distributors Shout Factory/Scream Factory revealed that they are planning to add a number of catalog titles to their Blu-ray catalog. Amongst them are George A. Romero's The Dark Half (1993) and Monkey Shines (1988), Bill Condon's Candyman: Farewell to the Flesh (1995), William Wesley's Scarecrows (1988), Tobe Hooper's Invaders from Mars (1986), Emmett Alston's New Year's Evil (1980), Dwight H. Little's Phantom of the Opera (1989), Stuart Gordon's Dolls (1987), George Miller's Mad Max (1979), Jay Levey's UHF (1989), and John Carpenter's Escape From New York (1981).

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=14589

Posted:   Jul 26, 2014 - 10:04 AM   
 By:   Francis   (Member)

Earlier today at Comi-Con, U.S. distributors Shout Factory/Scream Factory revealed that they are planning to add a number of catalog titles to their Blu-ray catalog. Amongst them are George A. Romero's The Dark Half (1993) and Monkey Shines (1988)

Nice! If they can add any extras for "The Dark Half" I'll gladly upgrade from the french Blu-ray. Nice to see Monkey Shines as well, easily one of Romero's weaker films for me but still worth checking out.