Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   May 23, 2013 - 12:40 AM   
 By:   meegle   (Member)

...ELIA CMIRAL's BATTLEFIELD EARTH!!!!

There.

Finally got the courage to say it.

Posted:   May 23, 2013 - 1:12 AM   
 By:   Thor   (Member)

I've steered clear of the film after all the turkey comments, but no reason why the score can't be good, I guess.

Posted:   May 23, 2013 - 3:33 AM   
 By:   jenkwombat   (Member)

Did you want to turn this thread into an all-purpose "confessional", where we can admit to scores/movies/things we like (or love) which other people seem to dislike?

Or did you mean it only for the one score you mentioned?

There are probably countless admissions we *all* could make. It could be fun...

Posted:   May 23, 2013 - 4:30 AM   
 By:   Thor   (Member)

Did you want to turn this thread into an all-purpose "confessional", where we can admit to scores/movies/things we like (or love) which other people seem to dislike?

Or did you mean it only for the one score you mentioned?

There are probably countless admissions we *all* could make. It could be fun...

We've actually done that a few times. Just type in 'guilty pleasures' in the search engine and you'll get quite a few hits.

Posted:   May 23, 2013 - 5:07 AM   
 By:   vinylscrubber   (Member)

Meegle, no need to feel strange saying so. The score is pretty interesting, and film is worth a look as it falls into that category of "so-bad-it's-good." Hopefully, everyone got a good paycheck.

Posted:   May 23, 2013 - 9:40 AM   

I'm open to a guilty-pleasures discussion AND Cmiral in general! Awesome!

Another for me is the score for ULTRAVIOLET. wink

Posted:   May 23, 2013 - 9:54 AM   
 By:   Michael24   (Member)

I find Cmiral's Battlefield Earth score very entertaining. I always thought he had a very unique style, and it's a shame he hasn't had more high profile work in recent years. Ronin in particular is fantastic.

Posted:   May 23, 2013 - 12:32 PM   
 By:   robtoliver   (Member)

Ha, if you thought the movie was bad, check out the soundtrack for the book:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battlefield_Earth_(soundtrack)

Posted:   May 23, 2013 - 12:45 PM   
 By:   Francis   (Member)

Posted:   May 23, 2013 - 12:46 PM   

I tried the search engine and got nothing.

Besides, from the title of the thread, it doesn't necessarily have to be a purely "guilty pleasure"-driven topic. I was just thinking in terms of scores you like that most don't. (Now I'm confusing myself.)

It could actually include examples of one score you like better than another --- which most people would seem to disagree with:

For instance, to start off gently and not be particularly controversial in making an admission, I'll go ahead and say it; I love the score to "Star Wars" much more than the score to "The Empire Strikes Back". To some on this board, that's sacrilege. (But let's face it, most people probably don't care that much. Like I said, starting off *gently*...)

Since it's your thread, care to take the next swing, meegle?

Posted:   May 23, 2013 - 1:06 PM   
 By:   billiosis   (Member)

Meegle you are a brave and noble soul to say the words LOVE and BATTLEFIELD: EARTH in the same post.
You have encouraged me to say the words
BRILLIANT and ISHTAR.
There I feel better. Very cathartic.

Posted:   May 23, 2013 - 5:59 PM   
 By:   dan the man   (Member)

Oh- I thought you were doing a TOM T HALL imitation.

Posted:   May 23, 2013 - 6:01 PM   

I agree, a good score, I felt anyway.

Posted:   May 23, 2013 - 7:19 PM   
 By:   barryfan   (Member)

Dennis the Menace gets a lot of hatred around here, while Planet of the Apes gets a lot of love. That baffles me. Dennis is so much fun and it is so hummable. I love it. Planet of the Apes is just not my cup of tea, I guess.

Posted:   May 23, 2013 - 9:08 PM   

Being a Barry fan that is understandable . I also like DENNIS THE MENACE alot, while PLANET OF THE APES works with the film. It is all about do you like more melodic music or non melodic mood music, to each one's own. Music works for so many different reasons.

Posted:   May 24, 2013 - 12:19 AM   

I tried the search engine and got nothing.

Besides, from the title of the thread, it doesn't necessarily have to be a purely "guilty pleasure"-driven topic. I was just thinking in terms of scores you like that most don't. (Now I'm confusing myself.)

It could actually include examples of one score you like better than another --- which most people would seem to disagree with:

For instance, to start off gently and not be particularly controversial in making an admission, I'll go ahead and say it; I love the score to "Star Wars" much more than the score to "The Empire Strikes Back". To some on this board, that's sacrilege. (But let's face it, most people probably don't care that much. Like I said, starting off *gently*...)

Since it's your thread, care to take the next swing, meegle?

Not fair to compare Star Wars to Empire's score. Same with the film. Your preference I think works simply because they shouldn't be compared IMHO.

Posted:   May 24, 2013 - 12:20 AM   

Meegle you are a brave and noble soul to say the words LOVE and BATTLEFIELD: EARTH in the same post.
You have encouraged me to say the words
BRILLIANT and ISHTAR.
There I feel better. Very cathartic.

Hooah!

Posted:   May 24, 2013 - 6:39 AM   

...the score (and film), "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom" --- as much as "Raiders". Again, sacrilege to some, but what can you do? You gotta be honest in a thread with that title...

Posted:   May 24, 2013 - 7:38 PM   

...the score (and film), "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom" --- as much as "Raiders". Again, sacrilege to some, but what can you do? You gotta be honest in a thread with that title...

I feel ya.

Raiders the film and score are UH-MAZE-ING.

But honestly my favorite of all four films IS Temple Of Doom.

Hands Down!

Posted:   May 24, 2013 - 7:58 PM   
 By:   Miles (MerM)   (Member)

...Eric Serra's GoldenEye.

Come at me.