Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Jul 23, 2012 - 6:49 AM   
 By:   Ado   (Member)

I walked in to Best Buy on Saturday just looking around - and there sat the TNG Blu Ray for Season One, the thing is it is not supposed to be released till tomorrow. That is interesting, I guess this is a Best Buy mistake, they must have got these in last week and put them out in error. In any case, they were $79.99 which they have since dropped to $59, ( on Amazon as well, so it is good that I did not buy it.

I am debating about going to the Fathom Events at the theatre tonight showing two episodes and talking about the remastering of the shows, not sure if it is worth $12, since it is all the same stuff on the discs. Is anyone going out to watch this tonight.

Posted:   Jul 23, 2012 - 6:59 AM   
 By:   JJH   (Member)

just go to see 2 episodes on the big screen at the very least.

Can't be ALL bad.
ow many times do you get to see TV on the big screen?

Come to think of it, if it's two Season 1 episodes it CAN be all bad.

Posted:   Jul 23, 2012 - 7:14 AM   

Yeah, i might do it, you have a point that big screen TNG would be a rare event. "Where no one has gone before" is a pretty cool episode, I still like those effects for the far off galaxy- even though they are dated.

I see myself sitting there in an auditorium with a bunch of Trekkers going "geez, we are a bunch of nerds aren't we?"

Posted:   Jul 23, 2012 - 10:16 AM   
 By:   Nicholas_DW   (Member)

I'll be at the screening tonight! Not only did they pick two good episodes from the first season (though in a perfect world I'd still rather it be "Darmok" and "Data's Day"). The coolest thing is that they're both Ron Jones episodes. On the big screen!

Posted:   Jul 24, 2012 - 4:27 AM   
 By:   TM2-Megatron   (Member)

I went to a local screening of the 2 TNG episodes on the big screen last night, and it was pretty fun. The theatre was about half-full (so a much better turnout of the equilvalent TOS event some years ago, where I think there were only 5 or 6 fellow fans in the theatre with me).

In addition to the episodes, they also showed excerpts from what I assume are some the Blu-Ray bonus features... test footage, interviews, etc. The cast reunion group interview, filmed for this release, looks like it'll be a blast to watch. I think it's great how well the entire cast seems to get along and interact, and Patrick Stewart is such a joker, heh; he was really having fun with Michael Dorn in the bit that was shown.

For the most part they seem to have recreated the effects that needed to be redone very faithfully; and the picture quality was very nice. There was plenty of film grain visible, so it doesn't seem to have been subjected to much, if any, DNR... a common complaint about the film transfers.

Posted:   Jul 24, 2012 - 5:45 AM   

It is a terrific show, and even when the scripts were not always what they should be the cast pulled it through. The show just works.

I have tried several times to get into DS9 or Voyager or Enterprise, I can watch them, but not really get that involved. Some DS9 shows are pretty odd.

Posted:   Jul 24, 2012 - 6:09 AM   
 By:   Francis   (Member)

The first season of TNG is easily the worst; the characters aren't properly defined yet, the chemistry isn't there yet and the stories are very uneven. The HD will not change that. That said, it'll still be great to see the origin of the series.

I've decided to wait for the price to drop as I plan on getting every season and paying 60 euro per season would mean 420 euro for the complete set... I'll wait for some combo deal or discount.

Posted:   Jul 24, 2012 - 7:07 AM   
 By:   Joe E.   (Member)

I went to the HD theatrical screening about five years ago (!) of "The Menagerie" from the original series, but wasn't able to make it to this one as it didn't play locally. I'd have loved to, though.

I still have yet to get a Blu-ray player, but it's on my want list.

*sigh*

Posted:   Jul 24, 2012 - 1:43 PM   

My Dad and I went last night. Fitting, since he introduced me to Star Trek and The Next Generation when I was a wee lad in the early 90's. It was great to see two of the first season's best episodes on the big screen. The auditorium was nearly filled to capacity. I couldn't believe how many people began to pour in as the clock ticked down to showtime. Men and women, boys and girls, of all ages piled in until the only empty seats I saw were right in front of me, to my left, and to my Dad's right. (I guess we smell.)

The sound was lacking but that's due to the show's audio quality itself. The picture quality was damn good. The effects were reproduced very, very closely to that which I'd seen so many times. The blacks were nice and rich and the texture of the uniforms and the actors' faces came across unlike I've ever seen.

The special features shown were great and it was also great to note that, aside from stock "trailer music", everything they used in the featurettes was by Ron Jones. It's about time the master of TNG's music got some recognition.

I also, unintentionally, got nearly everyone in the auditorium to laugh. When they showed Stewart's wardrobe test, I couldn't help but note how awkward he looked. I leaned over to my Dad and said, "Right now he's thinking, '(Patrick Stewart voice) Look how sexy I am!'" I must have said it louder than I thought because not only did he lose it but about two thirds of the audience were in stitches. It was my shining moment of the night.

I'll be getting the Blu-ray sets when the prices come down, though nothing will compare with the sight of Marina Sirtis' close-ups from "Where No One Has Gone Before" on that enormous screen.

Posted:   Jul 26, 2012 - 11:41 AM   
 By:   welwynfilmstudios   (Member)

Okay, just a quick update re: CBS's Star Trek: The Next Generation - Season One Blu-ray set. There is a confirmed audio issue that affects 7 episodes in the set - Encounter at Farpoint, Hide and Q, The Big Goodbye, Datalore, 11001001 and Too Short a Season. (Naturally, none of the episodes I watched prior to my review!) The impact is that in the DTS 7.1 mixes for these episodes, character dialogue that should normally be in the center channel is also mixed into the front left and right channels. The other episodes are unaffected. However, there's a secondary audio issue being reported as well in which the PCM audio for some of the extra features on Disc One and Disc Six plays out of sync on at least some models of Blu-ray player. CBS has begun investigating both issues. As soon as we get some kind of official word from them as to what they find to be the cause and how they're going to fix the problems, we'll let you all know.

http://thedigitalbits.com/#072512a

Posted:   Jul 26, 2012 - 12:36 PM   
 By:   Francis   (Member)

Wouldn't that issue already have been discovered on the previous blu-ray release "the next level" as it had Encounter at Farpoint already on it? I'll look into this thanks!

Posted:   Jul 26, 2012 - 2:15 PM   
 By:   Gary S.   (Member)

My Dad and I went last night. Fitting, since he introduced me to Star Trek and The Next Generation when I was a wee lad in the early 90's. It was great to see two of the first season's best episodes on the big screen. The auditorium was nearly filled to capacity. I couldn't believe how many people began to pour in as the clock ticked down to showtime. Men and women, boys and girls, of all ages piled in until the only empty seats I saw were right in front of me, to my left, and to my Dad's right. (I guess we smell.)

The sound was lacking but that's due to the show's audio quality itself. The picture quality was damn good. The effects were reproduced very, very closely to that which I'd seen so many times. The blacks were nice and rich and the texture of the uniforms and the actors' faces came across unlike I've ever seen.

The special features shown were great and it was also great to note that, aside from stock "trailer music", everything they used in the featurettes was by Ron Jones. It's about time the master of TNG's music got some recognition.

I also, unintentionally, got nearly everyone in the auditorium to laugh. When they showed Stewart's wardrobe test, I couldn't help but note how awkward he looked. I leaned over to my Dad and said, "Right now he's thinking, '(Patrick Stewart voice) Look how sexy I am!'" I must have said it louder than I thought because not only did he lose it but about two thirds of the audience were in stitches. It was my shining moment of the night.

I'll be getting the Blu-ray sets when the prices come down, though nothing will compare with the sight of Marina Sirtis' close-ups from "Where No One Has Gone Before" on that enormous screen.

Actually having her come out from behind her table a few years ago to pet my sister's service dog at the Metro Detroit Comicon probably compares. Yes she asked ahead of time. My sister's service dog loves attention. He is smart and knows it.

Posted:   Jul 26, 2012 - 4:35 PM   

I meant for me though.

Posted:   Jul 26, 2012 - 4:59 PM   
 By:   LeHah   (Member)

I also went to the theatrical screening. One of the best movie crowds I've ever been with, especially when they howled with laughter when Wesley asked his mom about "knowing how to turn Data on".

A great night that will be long remembered.

Posted:   Jul 26, 2012 - 5:40 PM   
 By:   TM2-Megatron   (Member)

My crowd laughed at that line from Wesley, too. I guess the last time I saw that episode was in more innocent days, because this was the first time I'd heard it in that way, heh.

Most of the theatre also broke out laughing when this poor guy came up on screen during Picard's speech to the crew in 'Where No One Has Gone Before',

TNG had some pretty awful wardrobe in the first few years... not that civilian attire was much better throughout any of the 24th century era series.

Posted:   Jul 26, 2012 - 6:27 PM   
 By:   Penelope Pineapple   (Member)

I also went to the theatrical screening. One of the best movie crowds I've ever been with, especially when they howled with laughter when Wesley asked his mom about "knowing how to turn Data on".

A great night that will be long remembered.

That's funny -- the crowd I saw it with were laughing at that line as well! (As was I!)

Posted:   Jul 26, 2012 - 6:29 PM   
 By:   Penelope Pineapple   (Member)

My crowd laughed at that line from Wesley, too. I guess the last time I saw that episode was in more innocent days, because this was the first time I'd heard it in that way, heh.

Most of the theatre also broke out laughing when this poor guy came up on screen during Picard's speech to the crew in 'Where No One Has Gone Before',

TNG had some pretty awful wardrobe in the first few years... not that civilian attire was much better throughout any of the 24th century era series.

The audience I watched it with laughed at this as well.... Man, what a great time it was watching these with a large audience. I hope they continue to do this throughout the Blu-ray releases.

Posted:   Jul 26, 2012 - 7:30 PM   

Mine too. It's universally accepted that Star Trek is one dirty-ass franchise.

I'd LOVE if they'd do this with each release, but that's us just teasing ourselves. Too bad, I'd love to see "Q-Who" on the big screen. And "Booby Trap"! That would be terrific! And "Data's Day". And "Darmok". And "All Good Things...".

It'll never happen.

But it SHOULD.

Posted:   Jul 26, 2012 - 7:37 PM   
 By:   Michael24   (Member)

I would love to see the remastered "Best of Both Worlds" on the big screen.

Posted:   Jul 26, 2012 - 8:06 PM   
 By:   Gary S.   (Member)

I meant for me though.

I know. Up until that convention, I'd have felt the same way you did.