Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Jan 20, 2014 - 5:49 AM   
 By:   Jim Doherty   (Member)

JBA: Could never understand why it was touted this set was "complete."

The HANGOVER SQUARE is only about some 20 mins. or so.

If you want more of it, you have to access other sources...

GK: All FOX had. The other "sources" are exactly that.

I need to ask a question about that. Between the Tsunami CD and collectors' tapes, there are at least 15 other HANGOVER SQUARE cues out there, almost the complete background score. As Fox is apparently the legal owner of this music, and these collectors' tapes and the Tsunami CD were therefore made from materials that actually, in a sense, belong to Fox, was it not possible for Varese to incorporate cues from these other sources? I am a not a lawyer - I do not know the intricacies of things like this. I am asking this out of curiosity.

Posted:   Jan 20, 2014 - 5:53 AM   
 By:   Jim Doherty   (Member)

A quick note about the extended finale of THE MAN IN THE GREY FLANNEL SUIT:

It's already been mentioned here that a giant part of the End Title is dialed out in the film. If you want to see how it would have worked, start the End Title from the CD right after Lee J. Cobb says "No charge" in the last scene in his office, and watch how the music flows right along with the editing of the film, and changes at key points (like Cobb's last exchange with Peck, Peck outside, Peck getting in the car, etc.), all building up to the wonderful crescendo, instead of it popping up out of nowhere, as it does in the film.

Posted:   Jan 20, 2014 - 11:25 PM   
 By:   arbogast 2007   (Member)

Any idea why Herrmann did not receive a "proper" Oscar statuette in 1942? It's hard to make out in the following picture, but that's not an "Oscar Oscar". I find this odd, because E. W. Korngold a few years prior received the statuette.

According to the www.oscars.org website:

"Due to a metal shortage during World War II, OscarsĀ® were made of painted plaster for three years. Following the war, the Academy invited recipients to redeem the plaster figures for gold-plated metal ones."

Hope this helps.

Posted:   Jan 21, 2014 - 3:46 PM   
 By:   Gary S.   (Member)

Best 400 smackers ever spent on a CD set!

Yep, my sentiments exactly.