Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Jul 4, 2011 - 8:38 PM   
 By:   dan the man   (Member)

I was thinking about the July 4th holiday and i remember what was one of the wildest time i had going to a movie it was on July 4th-1976, while watching They came from within-75- A David Croenberg film, in the middle of the film some nut set off a cherry bomb in the theatre, well we know how loud that sounds outside the theatre, just imagine what that sound like in a small enclosed movie house. Folks , what was a crazy experience you had in a movie house?

Posted:   Jul 4, 2011 - 11:06 PM   
 By:   Nicholas_DW   (Member)

Once I was watching a movie at the theater and a group of four or so people proceeded to have a full-on argument about a half hour into the film. Luckily it was only Kevin Smith's turkey Cop Out and I'd only paid a dollar to see it, otherwise I'd have been pissed.

Posted:   Jul 5, 2011 - 12:09 AM   
 By:   Storyteller   (Member)

Given all the movies I went to as a kid, I am surprised I haven't seen more weirdness. The strangest to date took place in Revenge Of The Nerds 2 where two girls suddenly screamed, then began laughing as a man took off running out the exit door... with his wang hanging out. Yep, he was masturbating to the nudity (brief at that) in the movie then decided to share that fact with the two young girls.

There wasn't anymore to that as they didn't catch the guy.

Posted:   Jul 5, 2011 - 12:31 AM   
 By:   Mark R. Y.   (Member)

Yikes, Storyteller! embarrassment

I'm afraid I don't have anything too crazy (except maybe for a summer outdoor showing of, of all things, XANADU - during which beforehand I won the grand prize of the trivia contest and won a huge amount of stuff which I had to haul home on foot and by bus), but a rather cool experience when a friend and I went to a showing of Buster Keaton's SHERLOCK JR. at this very short-lived revival house. We were the only ones in attendance so we were able to chat with the projectionist who, after the main feature, proceeded to show us all sorts of old short films he had on hand - just for the hell of it. smile

Posted:   Jul 5, 2011 - 4:50 AM   
 By:   Adam B.   (Member)

I saw the first showing of RETURN OF THE JEDI after waiting in line for hours. Five minutes after the film started, the film broke in the projector. After 30 seconds of boos and yelling a theater employee came out to apologize. Later when Jabba's sail barge is flying through the desert the film broke again! The same employee came out again and people were throwing candy and popcorn at the poor guy. All was fine after that.

Posted:   Jul 5, 2011 - 11:12 AM   
 By:   Michael24   (Member)

When my dad and I went to see The Fifth Element, about midway through the film burned up, literally. Just like you see in the movies, too, where a small hole starts in the center of the frame and then rapidly spreads outward in a widening circle, and you can see the film just melt away. We had to wait about ten minutes, and then they had it back up and running from where it had left off.

When I went to see Face/Off, the film started and the image was upside-down. The whole opening sequence played out that way before they finally got it stopped. Took only a few minutes to fix it, but then we had to sit through all the trailers a second time before getting back to the movie.

When I went to see Batman Begins, a different movie began playing. It was the film playing on that screen the day before, and they had apparently forgotten to switch it out and put on Batman Begins. An employee came in to apologize for the inconvenience and said if there was anything they could do to make our visit more comfortable, don't hesitate to ask. Somebody shouted out, "How about free drinks for everyone?" The whole theater laughed, and the employee gave a half-amused chuckle and quickly ducked out. LOL!

During my third viewing of Live Free or Die Hard, we were at the screen at the far end of the hall, next to an exit door that some employees had open because they were moving stuff in and out. Just several minutes into the film, one of them apparently bumped a fire alarm. The movie shut off automatically, plunging us into darkness. Someone ran out to check if it was an actual fire, but came back and said it was just an accident. It was about ten minutes before they finally got the movie back up and running.

Posted:   Jul 5, 2011 - 11:19 AM   
 By:   Nicholas_DW   (Member)

When my dad and I went to see The Fifth Element, about midway through the film burned up, literally.

At least it wasn't anything good.

Posted:   Jul 5, 2011 - 11:56 AM   
 By:   Kev McGann   (Member)

The two main ones I remember took place in the same cinema, around the same time, when I was much younger (The ABC Lime Street in Liverpool circa 1978).
First, I remember a fight breaking out between two gangs of lads during JAWS 2.
Right around the time of the Underwater Ballet sequence, which kinda ruined the shock moment when the shark jumps out on the diver. The house lights went up, the film stopped playing and the police were called in to break it up/drag people out.
The other crazy instance was watching GREASE, around the same time, and having whole groups of people (mostly girls) just getting up and dancing to the songs while they were on.
I remember it annoyed me at the time, but I look back on it with great affection.
I would like to add I was involved in NEITHER the fighting or the dancing smile

Posted:   Jul 5, 2011 - 12:16 PM   
 By:   CindyLover   (Member)

When I went to see Cape Fear (the remake, duh), the sound effects during the storm climax were incredibly realistic... imagine how I felt when I left the cinema to find that it was raining cats and dogs outside as well!

More connected to the film, I went to see Jurassic Park and the projectionist got the reels mixed up (on the first public screening, yet!). I don't recall the exact order they were in, but I do remember that I went back the next day, and this time they got it right. Good thing it was worth it both times!

During the time I spent all day at the Prince Charles in London (when they had four films I wanted to see - Jumanji, Mary Reilly, Strange Days and GoldenEye), the sound was missing when they started Mary Reilly. They eventually noticed, and started the movie over again with the sound. (I'm not sure it wouldn't have been better if they had just continued with it silent...)

Posted:   Jul 5, 2011 - 1:02 PM   
 By:   Spence   (Member)

Given all the movies I went to as a kid, I am surprised I haven't seen more weirdness. The strangest to date took place in Revenge Of The Nerds 2 where two girls suddenly screamed, then began laughing as a man took off running out the exit door... with his wang hanging out. Yep, he was masturbating to the nudity (brief at that) in the movie then decided to share that fact with the two young girls.

There wasn't anymore to that as they didn't catch the guy.

Wow, you got to meet "Pee-Wee" Paul Reubens!

Posted:   Jan 23, 2014 - 6:43 PM   

Back in the 70's in a 42 street theatre where anything can go. A man high on something, somehow fell out of his balcony seat and was holding on dear life on the ledge. I can understand that happening at a ballgame when someone is trying to catch a ball but in a movie theatre. Well they had to clear the seats of the lower deck, so he wouldn't fall on them the police came and gradually were able to lift him back on the balcony. This whole event took about 40 minutes, so the movie viewing was ruin.

Posted:   Jan 23, 2014 - 6:53 PM   
 By:   Mr. Jack   (Member)

When I went to see Cape Fear (the remake, duh), the sound effects during the storm climax were incredibly realistic... imagine how I felt when I left the cinema to find that it was raining cats and dogs outside as well!

Reminds me of when I saw The Mist and came out to discover a thick fog outside the theater. eek Scared the HELL out of me.

Posted:   Jan 23, 2014 - 9:05 PM   
 By:   Sigerson Holmes   (Member)

At a screening of "Deathtrap" in Astoria, Queens, N.Y., Christopher Reeve and Michael Caine kissed each other on the lips, and a whole row of African American audience members stood up and walked out. As I remember it, they weren't enjoying the picture much anyway, and the kiss was "the last straw." I think one of them shouted "THAT'S it!" and that was the cue for the whole row to file out.

Posted:   Jan 23, 2014 - 9:09 PM   
 By:   Mr. Jack   (Member)

At a screening of "Deathtrap" in Astoria, Queens, N.Y, Christopher Reeve and Michael Caine kissed each other on the lips, and a whole row of African American audience members stood up and walked out. As I remember it, they weren't enjoying the picture much anyway, and the kiss was "the last straw." I think one of them shouted "THAT'S it!" and that was the cue for the whole row to file out.

Ironic...if it were two women kissing, no one would leave the theater. roll eyes

Posted:   Jan 23, 2014 - 10:04 PM   

to MR JACK - HOW TRUE.

Posted:   Jan 23, 2014 - 10:04 PM   

TO SIGERSON HOLMES- A similar occurrence happened when I was watching MAKING LOVE- 82, The scene where 2 men were making love. In a theatre of mostly Irish and Italians, some young guys got up and either walk out or went to the concession stand for a while.

Posted:   Jan 23, 2014 - 10:49 PM   
 By:   Tall Guy   (Member)

Three notable things that have happened to me in a cinema are (in chronological order):

I was thrown out of the cinema on a boat for fighting

In an almost empty cinema a much older man sat next to me and started chatting me up

I went into the Tyneside Picture House single and came out with a girlfriend

Happy days!

Posted:   Jan 24, 2014 - 9:33 PM   
 By:   Ron Hardcastle   (Member)

I don't know if this qualifies, but decades ago a then young Jon Voight was being trained at my gym by a theatre acquaintance I knew named Michael Stefani, and those 2 and my friend Ed and I used to work out together on the bench press (long before machines). Jon was getting into shape to star in Tennessee Williams' "A Streetcar Named Desire," which he was doing at our Music Center, possibly with Faye Dunaway. Jump forward at least a decade. I went to a big Westwood theatre near UCLA to see a new movie with David Nash, another actor friend, and before the lights went down David nudged me and whispered "Don't look now, but Jon Voight is right behind us." I whirled around and said "Hi, Jon!," with mortified my friend David! But Jon shouted "Ron!!!," which surprised me, because it had to have been close to 10 years since I had seen him during those gym workouts.

Posted:   Jan 26, 2014 - 9:10 AM   

When I was young some idiot threw a big cup full of 7 up from the balcony down the people in the seats below.A few people got soaked in it.I hear it is very uncomfortable to be soaked with soda, sticky as hell. the film that was being shown at the time was LE MANS-71 - STEVE MCQUEEN

Posted:   Jan 26, 2014 - 2:28 PM   
 By:   The Mutant   (Member)

I stole a Tron: Legacy poster right out of the wall display and ran off with it after seeing Avatar. That was fun.