Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
This is a comments thread about FSM CD: The Prodigal

Posted:   Nov 18, 2010 - 12:25 PM   
 By:   DavidinBerkeley   (Member)

The most valuable part of this disc, to me, is the non-spectacle music, written for the scenes not asking for the whole orchestra and chorus.

Kaper could write beautiful intimate music and there is plenty of it here.

Posted:   Oct 28, 2011 - 6:18 PM   
 By:   Grecchus   (Member)

Thankyou Dave. I've been doing a little bit of hopping around lately, only to find you've been one step ahead. Not fair wink

This one's coming directly from the UK, so should not have long to wait.

Posted:   Oct 29, 2011 - 11:54 AM   
 By:   Scott H.   (Member)

What a lovely cover too!

1400 x 1400 version:

http://www.albumartexchange.com/covers.php?id=205031&q=the+prodigal

all sizes:

http://www.albumartexchange.com/covers.php?sort=4&q=the+prodigal+kaper&fltr=1&bgc=&page=

Posted:   Oct 29, 2011 - 6:47 PM   
 By:   dan the man   (Member)

A lovely score.

Posted:   May 2, 2012 - 4:50 PM   
 By:   DavidinBerkeley   (Member)

The most valuable part of this disc, to me, is the non-spectacle music, written for the scenes not asking for the whole orchestra and chorus.

Kaper could write beautiful intimate music and there is plenty of it here.

I'm revising my opinion! After hearing this cd again, the spectacle music really has its own style, different from the historical/biblical sounds I'm used to, and is unique for it.

Posted:   May 2, 2012 - 5:27 PM   
 By:   filmo   (Member)

it has a wonderful piece with cello for the main theme, plus terrific dance sequences. a great score all around.

Posted:   May 2, 2012 - 7:32 PM   
 By:   Robert0320   (Member)

For a non-Rozsa biblical type epic, not too shabby. Kaper could do nearly everything.

Posted:   May 4, 2012 - 12:50 PM   
 By:   Grecchus   (Member)

Having just seen the film for the first time from a TCM video recording in 4:3, I think I can safely say the music is the best thing about it. Once upon a time that aspect would have been strictly incidental (seen and not heard roll eyes ). I thought the way the statue toppled at the end was very well done (a bit like a rocket launching, but completely in reverse - if you've seen the film you'll know what I mean.) The liner notes are very informative, even going so far as to give acting plaudits on behalf of Purdom's fake beard!

My absolute favourite tracks are the last two - the celebration followed by end credits. I've become very fond of that delightfully playful tune Kaper wrote, however, the segue to the vocalists at the end is a breathtaking affair.