Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   May 10, 2010 - 5:12 PM   
 By:   Taylor Fenno   (Member)

So you can make fun of the movies all you want, but I really enjoy the scores. Granted there are few JAC Redford cues from "D2" and "D3" on their respective soundtrack releases and even 2 very beautiful cues ("Every Time You Touch The Ice" and "Eden Hall Academy Hymn") and 1 other cue ("Morning Showdown") from "D3" on Redford's website.

But there is absolutely no "official" release of David Newman's The Mighty Ducks score.

I would very much like to have the music to all 3 of these films!!

Is the reason we don't get releases because they are owned by Disney? And should I even hope to ever get theses scores?

Perhaps I'm the only one that likes this music...lol.

Posted:   May 10, 2010 - 5:30 PM   
 By:   Yavar Moradi   (Member)

You're not the only one. They're good scores, and I hope Varese or Intrada considers releasing them.

Personally I'm hoping for the Karate Kid treatment on the Free Willy franchise (Free Willy 2 only had three cues released)...

Yavar

Posted:   May 10, 2010 - 5:44 PM   
 By:   Shaun Rutherford   (Member)

The Mighty Ducks was super heavy on JNH's Main Titles from Grand Canyon, so if you need a legal Mighty Ducks fix, check that out.

Posted:   May 10, 2010 - 6:17 PM   

Okay I'll check that out. Thanks!

Posted:   May 10, 2010 - 7:03 PM   
 By:   Michael24   (Member)

I'm actually only familiar with The Mighty Ducks 2 (only saw the first movie once and never saw the third), but I like it and remember the score being okay. Nothing special, but fun. I'd probably pick it up if it was available.

Posted:   May 10, 2010 - 7:26 PM   
 By:   scrapsly   (Member)

They Mighty Ducks...David Newman...on my wish list too !

Posted:   May 10, 2010 - 10:50 PM   
 By:   Tobias   (Member)

They Mighty Ducks...David Newman...on my wish list too !

Same here

Posted:   May 10, 2010 - 11:09 PM   
 By:   Musicman416   (Member)

Count me in! I loved the scores when I was a kid, and I think they still hold up. While we're on Disney and Redford, his score for Heavyweights was a lot of fun, too. It'd be great to see all of these get releases.

Posted:   May 10, 2010 - 11:23 PM   
 By:   TerraEpon   (Member)

Is the reason we don't get releases because they are owned by Disney?

Hmmm, wonder if Intrada is looking at these then.

Posted:   May 11, 2010 - 4:09 AM   
 By:   Kev McGann   (Member)

There have been two instances where I walked out of a cinema, so angry that I couldn't just go and buy the music on CD, that I actually wrote to the composer, via their agents, asking if there was any chance they could help me out (obviously before the time of 'dodgy downloads').
With Cliff Eidelman's LEAP OF FAITH, he was kind enough to send me a tape with his (short) score on it.
With David Newman's MIGHTY DUCKS, he sent me a boatload of tapes, in a box, brimming with numerous scores by him! Hearing things like GROSS ANATOMY, THAT NIGHT, THE FRESHMAN, MADHOUSE, BILL & TED'S EXCELLENT ADVENTURE, THE FLINTSTONES (to name but a few), some for the first time, was an absolute joy.
Two of the best soundtrack collecting days of my life smile
Anyway, as Shaun alludes to above, it does suffer from 'temp-track-itis' quite badly.
Apart from the Grand Canyon steal, Newman also helps himself to Williams' Home Alone, Horner's Field Of Dreams and Kamen's Robin Hood - Prince Of Thieves, plus maybe a few Elfman quotes.
Still, it's a great score to listen to, bristling with excitement and adventure. It aids the film in a big way, I think.
It's typical that JAC Redford got some minutes on his CD's, but Newman got zilch, despite getting the puck started frown

Posted:   May 11, 2010 - 6:03 AM   
 By:   solium   (Member)

An official complete release of Mighty Ducks would be most welcomed.

Posted:   May 11, 2010 - 11:02 AM   
 By:   Vermithrax Pejorative   (Member)

I quite enjoyed the first film in a 'no-brainer' kind of way. I never made it through the sequels. The music is quite enjoyable, as far as I can remember. Fun, bouncy feel-good stuff.
I imagine this score would be released by Intrada or as a Varese CD club title.

Posted:   May 11, 2010 - 11:16 AM   
 By:   Michael_McMahan   (Member)

Apart from the Grand Canyon steal, Newman also helps himself to Williams' Home Alone, Horner's Field Of Dreams and Kamen's Robin Hood - Prince Of Thieves, plus maybe a few Elfman quotes.

I'm pretty sure the "love theme" from Days Of Thunder is in there too.

Fun score!

Posted:   May 11, 2010 - 11:20 AM   

I imagine this score would be released by Intrada or as a Varese CD club title.

I sure hope so!!

Posted:   May 12, 2010 - 3:24 PM   
 By:   RonBurbella   (Member)

I also understand that David Newman was always very generous with providing promos of his scores.

His promo for THE MIGHTY DUCKS has 21 cues and runs 37:22, so it might need to be paired with another short score to see the light of day.

Ron Burbella

Posted:   May 12, 2010 - 5:02 PM   

Well the labels release other "short" scores just like the recent Rocky IV.

The case isn't that way with The Mighty Ducks anyway. I have that promo and it's still missing a lot from the film. A complete and chronological release would be awesome.

Posted:   Feb 12, 2011 - 12:32 PM   
 By:   KevinSmith   (Member)

The suite from D2: The Mighty Ducks is some of David Newman's finest stuff.

Posted:   Feb 12, 2011 - 12:40 PM   
 By:   Maestro   (Member)

I really liked the first two Newman scores initially, but to be honest, today I only really listen to J.A.C. Redford's score to D3, because quite simply it blows the other two away. I happen to like the fact that it was a far more adult-oriented score as well (matching the characters being away at college in the film), and a lot of the mickey mousing from previous scores I'm not much a fan of these days was therefore either toned down considerably, or not present at all. The action music is far more serious and well-rounded as a result. At times you have to be reminded that you are listening to a Mighty Ducks score.

Posted:   Nov 12, 2013 - 5:36 PM   
 By:   solium   (Member)

For some reason when I think of Police Academy I think of The Mighty Ducks. I guess because both are fun upbeat scores. Since PA will soon be upon us, I have to believe Intrada is quietly working on this.

Posted:   Nov 12, 2013 - 8:02 PM   
 By:   KevinSmith   (Member)

There have been two instances where I walked out of a cinema, so angry that I couldn't just go and buy the music on CD, that I actually wrote to the composer, via their agents, asking if there was any chance they could help me out (obviously before the time of 'dodgy downloads').
With Cliff Eidelman's LEAP OF FAITH, he was kind enough to send me a tape with his (short) score on it.
With David Newman's MIGHTY DUCKS, he sent me a boatload of tapes, in a box, brimming with numerous scores by him! Hearing things like GROSS ANATOMY, THAT NIGHT, THE FRESHMAN, MADHOUSE, BILL & TED'S EXCELLENT ADVENTURE, THE FLINTSTONES (to name but a few), some for the first time, was an absolute joy.
Two of the best soundtrack collecting days of my life smile
Anyway, as Shaun alludes to above, it does suffer from 'temp-track-itis' quite badly.
Still, it's a great score to listen to, bristling with excitement and adventure. It aids the film in a big way, I think.
It's typical that JAC Redford got some minutes on his CD's, but Newman got zilch, despite getting the puck started frown

And 'Far and Away' by John Williams.