Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Nov 1, 2009 - 6:55 PM   
 By:   zooba   (Member)

Anyone remember the TV Series BRACKEN'S WORLD, about the going ons at a Movie Studio?

David Rose, I believe wrote the Main Theme and a FSM Goldsmith Film/TV credits article once said that Jerry Goldsmith scored an Episode or more.

The series was filmed at 20th Century Fox and boasted many star cameos.

Here is the cool Main Title by David Rose:

http://www.televisiontunes.com/Brackens_World.html

Here is the vocal version of the Theme by The Lettermen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAHzKeeT-Vw&feature=related

Would love to hear Goldsmith's score from an episode entitled "A Score without Strings".

Zoob

Posted:   Nov 1, 2009 - 9:36 PM   
 By:   haineshisway   (Member)

I never missed an episode of Bracken's World - it was not a good show, but I really liked it anyway. Peter Haskell and Elizabeth Allen were fine, and yes, lots of cameos and interesting guest stars.

Posted:   Nov 2, 2009 - 4:05 AM   
 By:   Castile   (Member)

I loved this show. There are two episodes I remember in particular -- one had to do with an established actress doing her first nude scene, and the other had to do with an actress who wanted a role so much she put LSD or something in the leading lady's drink, hoping to step into the part. The cameo spots were fun. Would love not only some of the music on CD, but the show itself on DVD, though that's probably not likely to happen.

Posted:   Nov 2, 2009 - 4:27 AM   
 By:   Ray Faiola   (Member)

I have a 16mm print of "A Score Without Strings". Fine show and a terrific look at tv scoring in a dramatic framework.

Posted:   Nov 7, 2009 - 12:37 AM   
 By:   zooba   (Member)

I agree with Ray.

I was lucky to have a friend find this episode somehow on a VHS which contained a few Bracken's World shows.

Very very interesting.

The story deals with a young film composer, who interestingly enough is named Jerry and who looks very much like the image of our beloved maestro, when he sported that funky beard/go-tee look he had circa 1969-70, (See the photo of Jerry in THE ILLUSTRATED MAN FSM CD Booklet) the exact time this episode was produced.

The composer in the show is named Jerry Stavis and is of a temperamental sort. An artist who has integrity and not one to sell out. He seems lonely and is soon attracted to one of the studio's starlets played by a post Nova and a little more chubby Linda Harrison.

What's great about this episode is, we see a working relationship or "non-working" relationship between a director and a composer.

There is a scene where the director says "I know nothing about music, but I know what I like when I hear it." Also there is some cool interchange about how the director wants what he heard the composer do at Carnegie Hall, but adapt it to his movie. Quite interesting.

When the composer is having trouble focusing and perhaps suffering from artistic block, the director and studio start getting nervous and want to hear the score for the film he has been hired to write. After some scenes of him courting Linda Harrison and their turbulent relationship, which is nicely scored by Jerry with a pretty love theme, which sounds like a close cousin to the "Recipe Sisters" Theme in THE HOMECOMING, Jerry would write a few years later.

Once the composer is able to write, it's fun to see him on the scoring stage conducting a sequence from the film entitled "TWO" which looks to be a Suspense/Mystery story. We actually see the Jerry character lookalike conducting musicians, who seem to be actual studio musicians. This is quite cool as we see the screen with click track and streamers. The music here by Jerry Goldsmith sounds much like a combo of Planet of the Apes and The Mephisto Waltz as it plays with the scene of a woman being watched. This scoring sequence has a great long cue which is totally cool. Of course it is great Jerry Goldsmith music. The director and studio head love it and praise the composer for being a genius who can write great music.

I'm wondering if the writer of this episode really did loosely base this on Jerry himself. It does seem quite so.

Anyway, there is quite a bit of score in this episode and it would sound awesome on a CD Release. The score Jerry wrote for the episode plus the "score within" the film in the show. Excellent work by the maestro on all counts and proof once again how vital and unique Jerry Goldsmith was to Television scoring.

This must have been a fun assignment for Jerry Goldsmith.

Bracken's World being a 20th Century Fox production, I'm wondering if this is something that can be sought out for CD Release?

Lukas, Doug, Robert?

I think you all would enjoy this very, very much! I surely did.

Again the episode was entitled "A Score without Strings" and was written by Jack Sher and directed by Paul Henreid

Zoob

Posted:   Apr 4, 2014 - 1:08 PM   
 By:   Yavar Moradi   (Member)

I must say this score sounds really interesting. I wonder if anyone has looked into it recently, especially Bruce at Kritzerland since he likes the show and has started releasing stuff from the Fox vaults...

Yavar

Posted:   Apr 4, 2014 - 1:13 PM   
 By:   Yavar Moradi   (Member)

I must say this score sounds really interesting. I wonder if anyone has looked into it recently, especially Bruce at Kritzerland since he likes the show and has started releasing stuff from the Fox vaults...

Yavar