Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Mar 19, 2008 - 10:07 AM   
 By:   Alex Klein   (Member)

Just listening to this beauty again. This is a PERFECT score for a re-recording.

Alex

Posted:   Mar 22, 2008 - 6:49 PM   
 By:   spielboy   (Member)

why re-recording a 1981 score???

BTW, just saw the movie and it's full of Barry score, 40-50 min easy. For example, the Silver horse theme, which I dont remember from the LP.

I have a problem with the score itself. Maybe it's the orchestration, but I found it sounding the same all along. And the arrangement for the main theme with drums... mmmm...

Posted:   Mar 23, 2008 - 12:08 PM   
 By:   Alex Klein   (Member)

Simple: the rights are owned by Universal, so chances of an expanded album are pretty much out of the question. Fans and record label producers hate the LP presentation. And a re-recording would give the score the great benefit of excellent sound quality.

Alex

Posted:   Jul 19, 2013 - 3:15 PM   
 By:   Bob S   (Member)

Jumping this thread ahead 5+ years and raising you yet another LONE RANGER reboot flop, what we really need is a comprehensive, quality release of John Barry's THE LEGEND OF THE LONE RANGER. I just watched the (excrable) old Lionsgate DVD (looks like a transfer from pan/scan VHS tape) and found the film not nearly as bad as its unsavory reputation. It has a couple nice set pieces and supporting actors like Christopher Lloyd (with hair!) and Jason Robards. It's a solid B Movie Western released in a time when Westerns had already long been out of favor.

We need this pre-DANCES WITH WOLVES Barry western on CD. In the best of all possible worlds, Twilight Time would bring us a clean, widescreen Blu-ray transfer of the film with isolated music tracks.

Posted:   Jul 20, 2013 - 10:40 AM   
 By:   BornOfAJackal   (Member)

I could never have imagined it until it happened, but John Barry and Merle Haggard made a great team on "The Man in the Mask."

Yes, its time to re-evaluate this movie and score. And re-release both.

Posted:   Jul 20, 2013 - 12:37 PM   
 By:   Yavar Moradi   (Member)

I'd buy the complete score if Intrada put it out. Would tie in nicely with their release of the new Lone Ranger score (and David Shire's Return to Oz complete would tie in nicely with their release of the new Oz the Great and Powerful score).

Yavar