Film Score Monthly
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Mar 2, 2018 - 1:09 PM   
 By:   JTWfan77   (Member)

The original Ghostbusters will be kicking off a live concert series this fall with stops in several cities around the world. Peter Bernstein, orchestrator of the original film and son of the late Ghostbusters composer Elmer Bernstein, will conduct local orchestras for the screening of the classic film.

Peter Bernstein couldn’t be more pleased to keep his father’s legacy alive in such a cool way:

“I am deeply excited to be able to bring Ghostbusters Live to the concert hall. Working for my father as an orchestrator all those years ago was a unique and wonderful time. To be able to bring that score back to life and conduct it is thrilling both professionally and personally.”

Ivan Reitman just couldn’t wait to talk about it:

“I’m thrilled to be presenting Ghostbusters with a live focus on Elmer Bernstein’s brilliant score. I’ve always felt that his remarkable music was the magical glue that held together the film’s unique mixture of funny, mysterious, and scary.”

Posted:   Mar 3, 2018 - 3:32 AM   
 By:   johnbijl   (Member)

Awesome news. I hope the tour brings them to the Netherlands. One of out main orchestra's (the Rotterdam Philharmonic no less) has been eyeing film score performances for some time now, so I'm hopeful. Wonder how the electronics will be handled.

I can't wait to find out what they'll be doing with the songs thought, they'll probably be tracked in, but that doesn't do them enough justice. Especially Mick Smiley's Magic, which functions as part of the score. Even more than Ray Parker jr.'s song.

Also, that one time that there's explicit diegetic music – when Ray and Winston are in the car discussing judgement day and they turn on the radio for diversion – it's Elmer's. That should be a weird moment.