Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Sep 29, 2018 - 4:57 PM   
 By:   W. David Lichty [Lorien]   (Member)

Fun fact!

The number of TZ episodes with tracked in Goldsmith, excluding his own seven originally score episodes, is 51.

Out of the 156 episodes, only about 104 would have been allowed tracked in music, so the ratio is almost half, for use of his stuff in the Zones without original scores.

Now you know that.

Posted:   Sep 29, 2018 - 10:45 PM   
 By:   (Member)   (Member)

Fun fact!

The number of TZ episodes with tracked in Goldsmith, excluding his own seven originally score episodes, is 51.

Out of the 156 episodes, only about 104 would have been allowed tracked in music, so the ratio is almost half, for use of his stuff in the Zones without original scores.

Now you know that.

Meaning almost one third of The Twilight Zone is tracked with some Goldsmith's cues.

Posted:   Sep 29, 2018 - 10:47 PM   

Next stop is October 11? Can your confirm, please?

Posted:   Sep 30, 2018 - 2:03 AM   

Funny how Gene Feldman injected CBS series scores from The Twilight Zone and Gunsmoke on Rawhide.

Posted:   Oct 1, 2018 - 10:49 AM   
 By:   Yavar Moradi   (Member)

Next stop is October 11? Can your confirm, please?

The plan is for October 11 to be my full length one-on-one interview with Leonard Slatkin (!) who remembers Jerry coming over for dinner as a friend of his parents while growing up in Hollywood, and who later selected Jerry as the composer for the first work he ever commissioned as a conductor (Music for Orchestra).

There's another interview we also hope to put out before the end of the year, but we are hoping to time it with something. We are planning to record our first podcast on Gunsmoke soon...we've recently learned that cues from Jerry's first score for the series, "Doc Judge", was used on both Twilight Zone and Rawhide later -- good factoids to know before recording! Of course all CBS shows (including other genres like Perry Mason) were part of this music sharing. That's one reason I'm so glad we covered the Goldsmith library cues available on Twilight Zone isolated scores (and the TransWorld 78s), as they were used on various famous (and not so famous) shows, without him being credited (on screen that is; obviously the cue sheets bear his name as we showed in our Episode 13 cover art using "Knife Chord").

Yavar

Posted:   Oct 10, 2018 - 2:43 PM   
 By:   Jens   (Member)

Just six more hours, y'all!

This is one of my favorite episodes of our podcast yet, and I'm not even on it! Even if you are not a fan of our regular format, I strongly suggest you give this one a listen.

Posted:   Oct 10, 2018 - 9:30 PM   

Episode 10 - Odyssey Interviews - Leonard Slatkin
http://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/824863-odyssey-interviews-leonard-slatkin

We are pleased to present the first installment of Odyssey Interviews, an occasional feature that will offer interviews with special guests who have some connection to Jerry Goldsmith and/or his music. In our debut interview, Yavar has a conversation with internationally acclaimed conductor Leonard Slatkin, Music Director Laureate of the Detroit Symphony. Slatkin maintains a rigorous schedule of guest conducting (he has conducted virtually all of the leading orchestras in the world) and is active as a composer, author, and educator. He has received 6 Grammy Awards and 33 nominations, and is a recipient of the prestigious National Medal of the Arts. Over the course of this interview, Slatkin discusses growing up in the world of film music, his family's relationship with Goldsmith, commissioning Goldsmith's Music for Orchestra, and much more. For up-to-date information on Leonard Slatkin and his work, visit his website.
http://www.leonardslatkin.com

Duration
01:13:41

Music in the Episode
00:00 - C2 Logo Fanfare
16:17 - Magic - Main Title
17:08 - Capricorn One - Break Out
21:03 - Christus Apollo - Part II
27:15 - Patton - No Assignment
41:23 - Music For Orchestra
56:05 - Star Trek: The Motion Picture - Leaving Drydock (Early Version)
58:37 - KSD News Theme (composed by Leonard Slatkin)
1:11:51 - Music For Orchestra

Also Discussed
The opening of How to Marry a Millionaire
https://vimeo.com/151776321
KSDK TV 5 News Open
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyTy6uq7xVU

The Goldsmith Odyssey: All Episodes
http://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com

Contact The Goldsmith Odyssey
mail@goldsmithodyssey.com

Posted:   Oct 11, 2018 - 8:40 AM   

Very happy how this turned out as it's actually the first real interview I've ever conducted. Hope you all enjoy, and I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Yavar

Posted:   Oct 11, 2018 - 10:48 AM   
 By:   RĂ¼diger   (Member)

Hello Yavar, I have much enjoyed the Slatkin interview! More of this stuff! A big (tall) wish of mine would be Leonard Slatkin doing a new recording of Music for Orchestra and Christus Apollo. Do you think there is a chance for this?

Posted:   Oct 11, 2018 - 11:20 AM   

He sounds interested, though of course there's still the relatively recent recording that Goldsmith himself conducted the LSO on, with that exact pairing plus Fireworks. I'd personally be much more excited if Slatkin were to tackle a different pairing with Music for Orchestra (which of course would be important as he commissioned the work but never put out a commercial recording of it on disc). A new recording of 1489 Words would be most amazing...and what if Goldsmith's unfinished cello concerto, "Quadrants", could be unearthed?

Yavar