Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Nov 23, 2017 - 11:56 AM   
 By:   drivingmissdaisy   (Member)

"Christmas With A Capital C"
Composed by Edwin Wendler
Limited to 500 Copies
Order now to receive a personalized CD cover with your name on it:
Order ($14.95): https://tinyurl.com/y7jprlv5

It's the Holidays so where's all the new Christmas themed score releases? Howlin Wolf Records has you covered!

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL OFFER !!!
(Personalized CD + Autographed Sheet Music)

For the first time a soundtrack label will offer a personalized CD booklet with your name on it! If you order before Tuesday November 28th at midnight (PST) you will receive an extra booklet personalized with your name on it! ALSO, 10 random customers who buy this CD before Tuesday November 28th at midnight will also receive a signed sheet music page from the composer.

With all the great releases our favorite labels are giving us this time of year, there is one thing missing ... a Christmas themed album full of sleigh bells, memorable themes and great old school film score writing that we all miss so very much. Edwin was asked to write a melodic score that tugs at the heart strings and was given an orchestra and not just any orchestra, The City Of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra. Along with this great orchestra, Edwin also composed two new GORGEOUS and moving songs that were performed by the Illumni Men's Chorale in Seattle.

TRACKLIST - (AUDIO SAMPLES ON WEBSITE)

1. Journey to Trapper Falls (2:21) (AUDIO SAMPLE ON WEBSITE)
2. Rivals (1:55)
3. My Country (1:44)
4. Cody and Sienna (1:37)
5. Expressions (2:13)
6. Test Race (1:18)
7. Meetings (3:01)
8. Nativity (4:40) (AUDIO SAMPLE ON WEBSITE)
9. Taking Action (2:14)
10. Cookies Delivery (3:33)
11. Investigating Mitch (3:22)
12. See the Person (1:50)
13. Christmas Cup (1:33) (AUDIO SAMPLE ON WEBSITE)
14. Angel Makayla (3:03)
15. Gifts and Statues (5:30) (AUDIO SAMPLE ON WEBSITE)

BONUS TRACKS:
16. Joyful Hope (2:53) (AUDIO SAMPLE ON WEBSITE)
17. Journey to Trapper Falls (Alternate, Demo) (1:54)
18. Sleep, Sweet Babe (from Winter Medley) (2:37)

BLACK FRIDAY OFFER!!
PERSONALIZED CD cover - a first for a soundtrack label !
AUTOGRAPHED sheet Music from the score (LIMITED) !
All of this for a low price of $14.95 + shipping !

ORDER: https://tinyurl.com/y7jprlv5
Expected to start shipping the week of December 11th - 15th

Posted:   Nov 23, 2017 - 2:57 PM   
 By:   Yavar Moradi   (Member)

Just curious but did Edwin conduct? Nic Raine? There's no conductor credit.

Yavar

Posted:   Nov 23, 2017 - 4:28 PM   

Edwin did not conduct but the names are listed in the booklet. Nic did not conduct smile

The talented Richard Hein conducted the orchestra.

So thoughts on the lovely brief cue?

Posted:   Nov 23, 2017 - 6:50 PM   
 By:   Yavar Moradi   (Member)

It was lovely! (And brief. I'd love to hear more samples.)

I honestly really did like it...got a bit of a Rudy vibe from the beginning which is a good thing in my book.

Yavar

Posted:   Nov 23, 2017 - 6:59 PM   
 By:   Dr. Nigel Channing   (Member)

It was lovely! (And brief. I'd love to hear more samples.)

I honestly really did like it...got a bit of a Rudy vibe from the beginning which is a good thing in my book.

Yavar

There are several more samples on the composer's Soundcloud page.

Posted:   Nov 23, 2017 - 8:15 PM   
 By:   joan hue   (Member)

I thought that brief cue was quite lovely.

Posted:   Nov 24, 2017 - 12:02 AM   

"Christmas With A Capital C"
Composed by Edwin Wendler
Limited to 500 Copies
Order now to receive a personalized CD cover with your name on it:
Order ($14.95): https://tinyurl.com/y7jprlv5

It's the Holidays so where's all the new Christmas themed score releases? Howlin Wolf Records has you covered!

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL OFFER !!!
(Personalized CD + Autographed Sheet Music)

For the first time a soundtrack label will offer a personalized CD booklet with your name on it! If you order before Tuesday November 28th at midnight (PST) you will receive an extra booklet personalized with your name on it! ALSO, 10 random customers who buy this CD before Tuesday November 28th at midnight will also receive a signed sheet music page from the composer.

With all the great releases our favorite labels are giving us this time of year, there is one thing missing ... a Christmas themed album full of sleigh bells, memorable themes and great old school film score writing that we all miss so very much. Edwin was asked to write a melodic score that tugs at the heart strings and was given an orchestra and not just any orchestra, The City Of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra. Along with this great orchestra, Edwin also composed two new GORGEOUS and moving songs that were performed by the Illumine Men's Chorale in Seattle.

TRACKLIST - (AUDIO SAMPLES ON WEBSITE)

1. Journey to Trapper Falls (2:21) (AUDIO SAMPLE ON WEBSITE)
2. Rivals (1:55)
3. My Country (1:44)
4. Cody and Sienna (1:37)
5. Expressions (2:13)
6. Test Race (1:18)
7. Meetings (3:01)
8. Nativity (4:40) (AUDIO SAMPLE ON WEBSITE)
9. Taking Action (2:14)
10. Cookies Delivery (3:33)
11. Investigating Mitch (3:22)
12. See the Person (1:50)
13. Christmas Cup (1:33) (AUDIO SAMPLE ON WEBSITE)
14. Angel Makayla (3:03)
15. Gifts and Statues (5:30) (AUDIO SAMPLE ON WEBSITE)

BONUS TRACKS:
16. Joyful Hope (2:53) (AUDIO SAMPLE ON WEBSITE)
17. Journey to Trapper Falls (Alternate, Demo) (1:54)
18. Sleep, Sweet Babe (from Winter Medley) (2:37)

BLACK FRIDAY OFFER!!
PERSONALIZED CD cover - a first for a soundtrack label !
AUTOGRAPHED sheet Music from the score (LIMITED) !
All of this for a low price of $14.95 + shipping !

ORDER: https://tinyurl.com/y7jprlv5
Expected to start shipping the week of December 11th - 15th

Posted:   Nov 24, 2017 - 12:50 AM   
 By:   David Colvin   (Member)

samples sound great actually and i have never heard of this film but have heeard of the composer of course. nativity is really extraordinary actually. hope I win some sheet music from the score. shipping is between the 11 and 16th right? meaning it will ship sometime during that week or on a certain day? i'm not the quickest with these things.

Posted:   Nov 24, 2017 - 1:02 AM   

Thanks D.C.! Actually shipping is expected somewhere between the 11 and the 15th if everything goes right, fingers crossed! Not the 16th. Booklets will be mailed to the composer overnighted, he'll sign them all to whoever then sent to the record company so they can mail out everything.

Sheet music will be shipped separately as for the size, poster tube smile

The audio samples speak for themselves as to how solid the music is. Hope people just go listen smile

Posted:   Nov 24, 2017 - 6:07 AM   
 By:   solium   (Member)

Sounds like a sweet little score. To bad it's limited to only 500 copies. Unless there will be a second edition of 500 copies followed by a general unlimited edition. wink

Posted:   Nov 24, 2017 - 12:03 PM   

Nope, this is strictly a 500 release so if you want a copy get it now. The whole album is everything I love about Christmas oriented music, sleigh bells and just great writing. The writing on Nativity is just beautiful where he has the mens chorale for the first couple of minutes. Music to my ears. Glad now that everyone else will finally be able to enjoy this. This project literally took 6 YEARS to get to you and a lot of hard work and crazy managers. But we made it smile

Posted:   Nov 24, 2017 - 1:11 PM   
 By:   Tall Guy   (Member)

The audio samples speak for themselves as to how solid the music is. Hope people just go listen smile

They certainly do. Lovely excerpts and I especially liked the dynamics on the Nativity track. I listened to that one a couple of times and I rarely do that with samples unless it’s Ennio or Dmitri!

Posted:   Nov 24, 2017 - 1:34 PM   

TALl Guy thanks! Just told Edwin and he’s smiling from ear to ear smile

Posted:   Nov 24, 2017 - 11:15 PM   

Thanks for all the orders, looks like Edwin is going to be quite busy the next week or so signing all these covers. IF you do order and you want it made out to another person just email Howlin Wolf Records info@howlinwolfrecords.com and let them know along with your order number!

Glad folks are enjoying the samples! It's the only Christmas themed album this season!

Posted:   Nov 25, 2017 - 10:39 PM   
 By:   RonBurbella   (Member)

What a pleasant surprise!

As a longtime aficionado of Christmas scores, I jumped right to the audio samples (which is unusual for me) before reading all the posts. And I'm listening...and listening...so WHERE are the jingle bells? HOW can he score a Christmas film without jingle bells? Yes, they're there in "Gifts and Statues" cue. Whew! Now to wait for the CD. Congratulations, Edwin. And perfect seasonal timing to boot.

Ron Burbella

Posted:   Nov 26, 2017 - 9:56 AM   
 By:   spanosdm   (Member)

Those samples are just lovely!

Posted:   Nov 26, 2017 - 12:18 PM   
 By:   Justin Boggan   (Member)

I found it rather generic and forgettable. If there was a theme, I don't remember identifying one.
I think I hear a temp track for Christmas Cup.

Posted:   Nov 26, 2017 - 1:07 PM   
 By:   Tall Guy   (Member)

Fa la la la la / la la la laaaaa!

Posted:   Nov 26, 2017 - 1:29 PM   

Maybe it's because I've had the good fortune of listening to this a bit longer than most of you, I know the themes especially the theme in track 1, Journey To Trapper Falls quite well and yes it is a theme. When we have superhero films and composers talk about themes which consists of 2 notes or 3, what Edwin wrote for track 1 is most certainly a solid theme. There was no temp on this score, luckily which let Edwin write solid music that pretty much everyone on this post has agreed is good music. Keep listening, you'll remember. I was that exact same way when I first heard Rey's Theme from Star Wars. I wasn't getting it, couldn't remember it until several listens. Nativity is my absolute favorite, the mens chorale, the percussion hit the melody, just makes me weep. It also makes me remember one of our dear friends Bill Begley who luckily got to hear some of the score before he passed and he just loved it.

Edwin made the album in memory of his dad who recently passed and one of our own, Bill Begley.

Posted:   Nov 27, 2017 - 2:33 AM   
 By:   eewee1975   (Member)

Hi Everybody,

Edwin here. This album has been in various planning stages for 6 years, and I am so thankful that finally, the performances by the City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra, the Illumni Men's Chorale, and flutist Sandro Friedrich will be released on CD so other people can hear them. Somebody asked about conductors. DMD mentioned who conducted the orchestra. I thought I'd share the complete album credits, in case you'd like some more info:

Music Composed and Produced by Edwin Wendler
Album Executive Producers: Wall Crumpler, Zach Tow, and Peter Hackman
Music Performed by The City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra
Orchestra Contractor: James Fitzpatrick – Tadlow Music
Orchestra Conductor: Richard Hein
Orchestra Recorded by Jan Holzner at Smecky Music Studios, Prague, Czech Republic
Flute Solos: Sandro Friedrich
Flute Recorded by Sandro Friedrich at PowerFlute, Reichenburg, Switzerland
Clarinet (Track #17): Ciarán Hope
Clarinet Recorded by Ciarán Hope at Pangaea Music, Hollywood, CA, USA
Choir: Illumni Men’s Chorale
Choir Director: Christopher McCafferty
Choir Conducted by Sean M. Haley and J. Scott Kovacs
Choir Recorded by Steve Ditore at Jack Straw Productions, Seattle, WA, USA
Arranging and Programming: Edwin Wendler
Music Mixed by Herman Owen at Spheres Music, Hollywood, CA, USA
Album Mastered by Elliot Herman at Herman Studios, Burbank, CA, USA
Album Art Direction and Design: Alan L Dull – D73 Concepts
Album Art Consultant: Luis Miguel Rojas
Album Production Consultants: Benjamin Chee, Raúl Marti
Album Promotion Consultant: Jeremy Hawkins

Somebody mentioned that they were unable to identify a main theme. I'm referencing the samples from the Howlin' Wolf Records website here: During the "Journey to Trapper Falls" excerpt, the theme is played on the piano, with the strings only playing some of the notes in parallel. The theme appears again in the excerpt from "Nativity," at the :56 mark, played by piano and celesta. Another iteration of the main theme can be heard in the excerpt from "Gifts and Statues," 18 seconds in, and then again at 1:14 in a bouncy version. Finally, in the snippet from "Joyful Hope," the choir sings the main theme at the :36 mark, with the lyrics, "Now the good will of heav’n is shown..." The main theme makes many more appearances throughout the album, and I did my best to give it enough variations as to not sound repetitive. I think that, from a musicological standpoint, a strong argument can be made that the theme is identifiable, at least it was designed to be. It definitely is to the director.

This album is a bit of an experiment for me, as I am planning to sign and personalize an extra booklet for each person who will have bought this CD before November 28. I am so very thankful to anybody who buys and listens to this recording! I know it's not everybody's cup of tea (What is?) but if this music makes you smile, and if it gives you a little bit of the holiday spirit, then my work is done. :-)