Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Oct 28, 2017 - 8:26 AM   
 By:   robertmro   (Member)

Dutton Vocalion is taking preorders for the first time release of the 1975 Charles Gerhardt RCA Lost Horizon: The Classic Film Scores of Dimitri Tiomkin with The Thing from Another World Suite on SACD Hybrid Multi-channel CD.

The Thing from Another World Suite was not included on the original release or to the best of my knowledge on any of the subsequent reissues only appearing on a separate recording.

This is a powerhouse rendition of one the greatest sci-fi scores of the 1950s.

https://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=CDLK4608

Posted:   Oct 28, 2017 - 8:36 AM   
 By:   robertmro   (Member)

Boy is this wankey website hard to post on from an iPhone!

Posted:   Oct 28, 2017 - 9:42 AM   
 By:   chriscoyle   (Member)

This is interesting. Are they going to rerelease the whole series?
Chris

Posted:   Oct 28, 2017 - 12:32 PM   
 By:   Bob DiMucci   (Member)

Dutton says: "All tracks available in stereo and multi-channel." Does "multi-channel" mean that they are going back to the Dolby Surround mix of the 1989 RCA release?

Posted:   Oct 28, 2017 - 12:40 PM   
 By:   Mr. Marshall   (Member)

Dutton says: "All tracks available in stereo and multi-channel." Does "multi-channel" mean that they are going back to the Dolby Surround mix of the 1989 RCA release?

don't ask me!

ahahahahhaa!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted:   Oct 28, 2017 - 12:52 PM   
 By:   WILLIAMDMCCRUM   (Member)

I don't know, but they generally do their OWN audiophile remastering.

As regards the whole series, who knows, but for some reason the LH was the most elusive of the series. There may even have been less pressings. Someone here will know.

Posted:   Oct 28, 2017 - 3:13 PM   
 By:   Bob DiMucci   (Member)

I just noticed that Dutton has the suite from THE THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD asterisked as "*Previously unreleased in quadraphonic sound." But when that suite first appeared on CD in 1991, it too was on a Dolby Surround disc. What Dutton seems to be referring to, however, is that the LOST HORIZON LP, in addition to being released in normal stereo, was also released in a quadraphonic version. See the "Quadradisc" logo in the upper left corner of the album cover below.

I wonder if Dutton will be using THAT mix for their release, or whether they will access the original tapes to do a totally new mix? I didn't know that some of the Gerhardt albums were released in quadraphonic sound. CAPTAIN BLOOD (Korngold, Steiner, Waxman, Friedhofer) and CITIZEN KANE (Herrmann) were also released that way.

Posted:   Oct 28, 2017 - 4:37 PM   
 By:   jskoda   (Member)

Dutton has done a number of RCA quad LP releases on SACD, and I'm pretty sure they're using the quad masters provided by RCA.

Posted:   Oct 29, 2017 - 3:23 AM   
 By:   michael469   (Member)

Dutton Vocalion is taking preorders for the first time release of the 1975 Charles Gerhardt RCA Lost Horizon: The Classic Film Scores of Dimitri Tiomkin with The Thing from Another World Suite on SACD Hybrid Multi-channel CD.

The Thing from Another World Suite was not included on the original release or to the best of my knowledge on any of the subsequent reissues only appearing on a separate recording.

WHOA! This was one of my all time favourite LPs. I picked up the entire set of Gerhardt's as they came out. Pure heaven. The Things was released on their compilation LP and CD. The Search for Paradise choral piece on the originals was incredible with the ending notes sending goosebumps and hairs tingling on the back of the neck. Just incredible.

So-- ordered!

Posted:   Nov 4, 2017 - 2:08 PM   
 By:   BornOfAJackal   (Member)

What a tremendous re-release, especially with the discrete multi-channel.

Any of you fanboys out there looking for a tremendous sci-fi score blind buy could not do better than this Gerhardt/NPO suite from The Thing from Another World.

Posted:   Nov 8, 2017 - 5:15 AM   

WHOA! This was one of my all time favourite LPs. I picked up the entire set of Gerhardt's as they came out. Pure heaven. The Things was released on their compilation LP and CD. The Search for Paradise choral piece on the originals was incredible with the ending notes sending goosebumps and hairs tingling on the back of the neck. Just incredible.

So-- ordered!

Well, have received and listened to the disc. I have only listened to the redbook CD layer but even so, I can hear the increased clarity - instruments I could not hear before are present and the soundstage is much more transparent/open.

For me this was an excellent purchase.

Posted:   Nov 8, 2017 - 6:04 AM   
 By:   Amer Zahid   (Member)

So-- ordered!

Well, have received and listened to the disc. I have only listened to the redbook CD layer but even so, I can hear the increased clarity - instruments I could not hear before are present and the soundstage is much more transparent/open.

Nice. But are you encoding the output of this via an SACD Player?

Posted:   Nov 8, 2017 - 6:04 AM   
 By:   Amer Zahid   (Member)

So-- ordered!

Posted:   Nov 8, 2017 - 10:39 AM   

So-- ordered!

If I understand you correctly, alas no. I am relying on a standard CD player. Hence I am only able to access the CD layer but even that has remarkably clearer sound compared to the dolby and non dolby version I also have.

Posted:   Nov 8, 2017 - 12:12 PM   
 By:   Ed   (Member)

Quad sound is a very different thing than Dolby Surround, particularly as it was implemented in the initial RCA cd issues. Sadly RCA never did reissue the “Spectacular World of Classic Film Scores” when they did their recent remaster. Nor Close Encounters/Star Wars so maybe there’s hope.

It was always Gerhardt’s intention to add the extra music back into the CD versions of each album but RCA abandoned that idea in favor of the Surround exercise.

Posted:   Nov 8, 2017 - 2:27 PM   
 By:   BornOfAJackal   (Member)

michael469: Well, have received and listened to the disc. I have only listened to the redbook CD layer but even so, I can hear the increased clarity - instruments I could not hear before are present and the soundstage is much more transparent/open.

I'm very pleased to hear this. I'd contemplated seeking the Lost Horizon CD with The Thing suite included. Dutton Vocalion have freed me from this chore in the best way possible.

After last year's Watership Down SACD re-master from Dutton Vocalion, I had no problem laying down the $20.23usd it takes to get this imported from England.

Posted:   Nov 8, 2017 - 7:10 PM   
 By:   Preston Neal Jones   (Member)

The first two CD's of the Gerhardt series released by RCA were expanded from the original LP contents by including tracks from other LP's in the series: Korngold/THE SEA HAWK and Waxman/SUNSET BOULEVARD. That's as far as it got. Subsequently, they re-released these two albums in their original LP configurations, followed by all the other titles in the series. If memory serves, they also put out a CD of "The Spectacular World..."

Posted:   Nov 9, 2017 - 3:31 AM   

The first two CD's of the Gerhardt series released by RCA were expanded from the original LP contents by including tracks from other LP's in the series: Korngold/THE SEA HAWK and Waxman/SUNSET BOULEVARD. That's as far as it got. Subsequently, they re-released these two albums in their original LP configurations, followed by all the other titles in the series. If memory serves, they also put out a CD of "The Spectacular World..."

Yes, the latter is correct. I have "The Spectacular World ..." CD. I also have the original LP as well.

Interestingly, The back cover of the Vocalion booklet has a photo of "The original stereo master (side 2) of the "Lost Horizon" album." Written in pencil or pen it also says 'Side II Dolby Master".

There is an image of the "The Spectacular World ..." LP on the back of the Vocalion CD and it is next to the asterisked 'The Thing from Another World - Suite" track listing on the Vocalion CD. Underneath the image is asterisked "Previously unreleased in quadraphonic sound".

But "The Spectacular World ..." LP info says "LP RL 42005 (1977) Stereo/Quadraphonic" and "The Thing from ..." is on that LP. I think I am missing something here as "The Thing from .." is stated as previously unreleased in Quadraphonic sound but the LP was in Quadraphonic sound.

Some help here would be appreciated.

Posted:   Nov 9, 2017 - 9:26 AM   

Dutton has done a number of RCA quad LP releases on SACD, and I'm pretty sure they're using the quad masters provided by RCA.

Yes, I confirmed this with Vocalion. You are correct.

Posted:   Nov 9, 2017 - 9:26 AM   

Yes, I confirmed this with Vocalion. You are correct.