Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Aug 9, 2017 - 1:39 PM   
 By:   Bond1965   (Member)

According to imdb, Elliot Goldenthal is scoring the new Jane Fonda/Robert Redford Netflix film OUR SOULS AT NIGHT directed by Ritesh Batra (THE LUNCHBOX, THE SENSE OF AN ENDING).

I was kind of surprised because Goldenthal doesn't score many projects unless they are for Julie Taymor and Batra has used Max Ricther in his past projects.

Here's a teaser for the film:

James

Posted:   Aug 9, 2017 - 2:38 PM   
 By:   Thor   (Member)

If it's true, that's rather intriguing -- not the assignment itself (I thought THE LUNCHBOX was OK, but by no means a visionary film), but, as you say, the fact that he's working for another outside the usual suspects.

Posted:   Aug 9, 2017 - 2:56 PM   
 By:   Justin Boggan   (Member)

This must be the mystery film score Goldenthal was working on.

I checked out the website of the music editor listed on IMDb, and on that editor's personal website, he lists the film -- the only film with no composer by it. And he's worked plenty of times with Goldenthal.

Posted:   Aug 9, 2017 - 3:21 PM   
 By:   daretodream   (Member)

I was kinda hoping for something more daring but, like I always say, any Goldenthal is better than no Goldenthal at all.

I noticed the release date says Sep 1, 2017, which means that he's either finished writing and recording the score or is currently in the process of recording it.

Posted:   Dec 1, 2017 - 12:38 AM   
 By:   trstnvnk   (Member)

Watched the film last night on Netflix. It's a sweet, small film with fine performances but overall nothing special.

The same can be said for Goldenthal's score. It's a small, intimate score perfomed by a small ensemble (mostly guitars) that works well in the film.

Posted:   Dec 1, 2017 - 2:44 AM   

Might not be the biggest Goldenhal score, but I still like a soundtrack release. A new Goldenthal soundtrack album is extremely rare these days.

Posted:   Dec 1, 2017 - 3:05 AM   
 By:   Kev McGann   (Member)

I had to laugh when the two main stars were on Graham Norton promoting this film and Graham mentioned how the title could be misconstrued as a rather unfortunate pun (arseholes at night) and their genuine amazement when it dawned on them.

Posted:   Dec 1, 2017 - 3:17 AM   

I had to laugh when the two main stars were on Graham Norton promoting this film and Graham mentioned how the title could be misconstrued as a rather unfortunate pun (arseholes at night) and their genuine amazement when it dawned on them.

It was just Jane, not Robert...but yeah -- funny moment. smile