Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Aug 9, 2017 - 1:39 PM   
 By:   Bond1965   (Member)

According to imdb, Elliot Goldenthal is scoring the new Jane Fonda/Robert Redford Netflix film OUR SOULS AT NIGHT directed by Ritesh Batra (THE LUNCHBOX, THE SENSE OF AN ENDING).

I was kind of surprised because Goldenthal doesn't score many projects unless they are for Julie Taymor and Batra has used Max Ricther in his past projects.

Here's a teaser for the film:

James

Posted:   Aug 9, 2017 - 2:38 PM   
 By:   Thor   (Member)

If it's true, that's rather intriguing -- not the assignment itself (I thought THE LUNCHBOX was OK, but by no means a visionary film), but, as you say, the fact that he's working for another outside the usual suspects.

Posted:   Aug 9, 2017 - 2:56 PM   
 By:   Justin Boggan   (Member)

This must be the mystery film score Goldenthal was working on.

I checked out the website of the music editor listed on IMDb, and on that editor's personal website, he lists the film -- the only film with no composer by it. And he's worked plenty of times with Goldenthal.

Posted:   Aug 9, 2017 - 3:21 PM   
 By:   daretodream   (Member)

I was kinda hoping for something more daring but, like I always say, any Goldenthal is better than no Goldenthal at all.

I noticed the release date says Sep 1, 2017, which means that he's either finished writing and recording the score or is currently in the process of recording it.

Posted:   Dec 1, 2017 - 12:38 AM   
 By:   trstnvnk   (Member)

Watched the film last night on Netflix. It's a sweet, small film with fine performances but overall nothing special.

The same can be said for Goldenthal's score. It's a small, intimate score perfomed by a small ensemble (mostly guitars) that works well in the film.

Posted:   Dec 1, 2017 - 2:44 AM   

Might not be the biggest Goldenhal score, but I still like a soundtrack release. A new Goldenthal soundtrack album is extremely rare these days.

Posted:   Dec 1, 2017 - 3:05 AM   
 By:   Kev McGann   (Member)

I had to laugh when the two main stars were on Graham Norton promoting this film and Graham mentioned how the title could be misconstrued as a rather unfortunate pun (arseholes at night) and their genuine amazement when it dawned on them.

Posted:   Dec 1, 2017 - 3:17 AM   

I had to laugh when the two main stars were on Graham Norton promoting this film and Graham mentioned how the title could be misconstrued as a rather unfortunate pun (arseholes at night) and their genuine amazement when it dawned on them.

It was just Jane, not Robert...but yeah -- funny moment. smile

Posted:   Dec 18, 2017 - 2:34 PM   

Just watched the film. It's a pretty decent 'chamber drama', although it's not very original. What you come away with here is the chemistry between Fonda and Redford.

Goldenthal's score is unlike anything else he's done. In fact, you couldn't even tell it's by him. A lot of it sounds like Gustavo Santaolalla. A bit folksy, lots of acoustic guitar, very consonant, not a 'cluster' in sight. Alas, Netflix has said 'no' to a soundtrack release, according to the Goldenthal people.

Posted:   Dec 18, 2017 - 2:37 PM   
 By:   Justin Boggan   (Member)

Alas, I've said "no" to Netflix.