Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Mar 23, 2017 - 7:31 AM   
 By:   ZapBrannigan   (Member)

https://www.amazon.com/Twilight-Zone-Companion-Scott-Zicree/dp/1879505096/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1490279207&sr=1-1

There's a review on Amazon stating that the 2nd edition is defective, missing page 41 (see link).

But now I'm wondering if the reviewer just got a rare defective copy, and the 2nd edition is actually fine. Does anybody have it?

Apart from the misprint question, comments on the book in general? I just ordered a 1982 copy of the 1st edition on eBay. This will be the liner notes for when my Blu-ray set arrives.

Posted:   Mar 23, 2017 - 7:48 AM   
 By:   David Sones (Allardyce)   (Member)

The book is OK but unfortunately the author puts way too much of his opinions into his comments about the episodes, as if he's the authoritative decider on which episodes are great and which are not. Really turned me off especially when he shredded what I think are some of Rod Serling's finest stories.

Posted:   Mar 23, 2017 - 8:01 AM   
 By:   jenkwombat   (Member)

I agree with Mr. Sones. The author knocks some really good episodes, when it's not really necessary. frown However, if you can put up with that, the book is not bad....

Posted:   Mar 23, 2017 - 8:20 AM   
 By:   Last Child   (Member)

yeah, it was as if the author loved the show as a kid, but his adult mind magnified any flaws to the point where he was very disappointed. Some critiques were just wrong, such calling out Serling's "bad" politics in the thinly veiled episode about Castro. Or claiming the viewer is cheated by an unrealistic tease in "No time like the past" because no sniper would aim and shoot an empty gun. What actually happened was Andrews fires a dud bullet, and struggles to re-load the gun.

Posted:   Mar 23, 2017 - 8:48 AM   
 By:   RoryR   (Member)

The book is OK but unfortunately the author puts way too much of his opinions into his comments about the episodes, as if he's the authoritative decider on which episodes are great and which are not. Really turned me off especially when he shredded what I think are some of Rod Serling's finest stories.

Wow! What a display of ego. What book on the series have you had published?

Posted:   Mar 23, 2017 - 9:13 AM   
 By:   Mr. Marshall   (Member)

LOL!
touche!

Posted:   Mar 23, 2017 - 9:24 AM   
 By:   David Sones (Allardyce)   (Member)

How is it a display of ego to offer what I thought of the book? So I need to be a published author to have an opinion about someone else's opinion? By that perspective, then you would need to be a filmmaker to spew opinions on any movies you see. That's ridiculous, but so is your comment which is intended to do nothing more than provoke me.

Posted:   Mar 23, 2017 - 9:27 AM   

How is it a display of ego to offer what I thought of the book? So I need to be a published author to have an opinion about someone else's opinion? By that perspective, then you would need to be a filmmaker to spew opinions on any movies you see. That's ridiculous, but so is your comment which is intended to do nothing more than provoke me.

LOL!
touche!

Posted:   Mar 23, 2017 - 10:09 AM   

Rory, you're projecting again. Three people voiced a similar criticism in as many posts, so you might reign in your own ego and consider the point we were making.

Posted:   Mar 23, 2017 - 10:15 AM   
 By:   Mike_J   (Member)

How ridiculous. I've never run a restaurant or directed a movie or written a soundtrack - does that mean I can't express a view on those things without it being about ego? Of course not.

I'm sure I speak for quite a few people here when I say please give it a rest Rory - your attempts at being this board's Harlan Ellison really aren't impressing anyone and you are just making yourself look stupid.

Posted:   Mar 23, 2017 - 10:50 AM   

I have the original edition of this but haven't read it in decades. I seem to recall it was pretty thoroughly researched it honestly can't recall whether it was actually well written.

If anyone wants my copy they are welcome to it for postage only.

Posted:   Mar 23, 2017 - 11:37 AM   
 By:   ScottyM   (Member)

Cut the author a little slack, this book was written 35 years ago before books of this type were commonplace. Actually, this book was the standard by which many other "companions" and "compendiums" were held. Every few years, I haul out my copy and reread it. I don't always agree on his views of certain episodes, but his passion and research were obvious. And he had access to many people involved in the series who are not longer with us. I have yet to read a better book on the series.

I still prefer this book to the horribly edited and error ridden TOS books by Marc Cushman, whose research is not only sloppy, but littered with outright falsehoods.

Posted:   Mar 23, 2017 - 2:36 PM   
 By:   RoryR   (Member)

please give it a rest Rory - your attempts at being this board's Harlan Ellison really aren't impressing anyone and you are just making yourself look stupid.

At least I try to be Harlan Ellison when I make myself look stupid. The rest of you do it without trying.

Posted:   Mar 23, 2017 - 3:18 PM   

please give it a rest Rory - your attempts at being this board's Harlan Ellison really aren't impressing anyone and you are just making yourself look stupid.

At least I try to be Harlan Ellison when I make myself look stupid. The rest of you do it without trying.

You set the bar so high mate, none of us can hope to compete.

Posted:   Mar 23, 2017 - 3:19 PM   

Cut the author a little slack, this book was written 35 years ago before books of this type were commonplace. Actually, this book was the standard by which many other "companions" and "compendiums" were held. Every few years, I haul out my copy and reread it. I don't always agree on his views of certain episodes, but his passion and research were obvious. And he had access to many people involved in the series who are not longer with us. I have yet to read a better book on the series.

I still prefer this book to the horribly edited and error ridden TOS books by Marc Cushman, whose research is not only sloppy, but littered with outright falsehoods.

Now that's interesting because I was going to get those for my Kindle - but from what you say the TOS books are not worth having?

Posted:   Mar 23, 2017 - 3:23 PM   
 By:   Angelillo   (Member)

Isn't that one a much better book ?

https://www.amazon.com/Twilight-Zone-Unlocking-Television-Classic/dp/0970331096/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1490307644&sr=1-1&keywords=The+Twilight+Zone%3A+Unlocking+the+Door+to+a+Television+Classic

Posted:   Mar 23, 2017 - 4:24 PM   

Cut the author a little slack, this book was written 35 years ago before books of this type were commonplace.

You're correct in that we should be giving him accolades for the research, interviews, etc. It's unfortunate his opinions taint one's impression of the book as a whole. For example, I recall him seemingly annoyed that Richard Matheson named characters after his daughter Tina in a few episodes. I can share in his critique of Serling's work, but dont mess with Matheson!

Posted:   Mar 23, 2017 - 5:22 PM   

Cut the author a little slack, this book was written 35 years ago before books of this type were commonplace.

You're correct in that we should be giving him accolades for the research, interviews, etc. It's unfortunate his opinions taint one's impression of the book as a whole. For example, I recall him seemingly annoyed that Richard Matheson named characters after his daughter Tina in a few episodes. I can share in his critique of Serling's work, but dont mess with Matheson!

I read this but do not remember details.
Serling certainly wrote his share of crappy eps. Which ones does the author single out that apparently incense the fans on this board?

Posted:   Mar 23, 2017 - 5:38 PM   

I read this but do not remember details.
Serling certainly wrote his share of crappy eps. Which ones does the author single out that apparently incense the fans on this board?

All of them (lol). I'm not against his Serling criticism ("A man can think alot of thoughts..." roll eyes ), but he seems to find something to complain about in most of the episodes.

Posted:   Mar 23, 2017 - 5:38 PM   
 By:   ZapBrannigan   (Member)

Isn't that one a much better book ?

https://www.amazon.com/Twilight-Zone-Unlocking-Television-Classic/dp/0970331096/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1490307644&sr=1-1&keywords=The+Twilight+Zone%3A+Unlocking+the+Door+to+a+Television+Classic

That does look good, but at $40 it's kind of pricey.

Does anyone have the Zicree 2nd edition, the one I passed on in case the Amazon review was right about the defect on p. 41? Do we think that was just his copy, or the whole run?

I remember handling THE TWILIGHT ZONE COMPANION in a bookstore in 1982, and I really wanted it, but $9.95 back then was like $25 in today's money, and I was broke in those days. I'm eager to see it show up, hopefully within a week.