Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Jun 26, 2014 - 1:23 PM   
 By:   Goldsmith Forever   (Member)

Of course Deep Rising is no masterpiece in the Goldsmith's canvas, but surely is one hell of a score by any standard!

Posted:   Jun 26, 2014 - 1:41 PM   
 By:   filmusicnow   (Member)

I did a complete 180 on this score while working on the booklet--as anyone who read my original FSM review will know, this was probably one of my least favorite Goldsmith albums ever in its original form. Hearing it in its full form and in this spectacular sound mix really rehabilitated it to my ears and the score has a lot of interesting elements--I love the two heroic themes and the material for Famke Jannsen is really effective counterpoint to all the heavier elements in the rest of the score. Quite a fun listen. In the 90s I of course judged every Goldsmith score against Patton and Alien--looking back now it's easier to see how incredibly lucky we were to have such a prolific composer still banging out scores--I still prefer listening to any of Goldsmith's final decade of work to just about anything produced today.

Same here Jeff!