Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Jun 1, 2014 - 9:52 AM   
 By:   bobbengan   (Member)

By happenstance I came across a terrible Charles Band-produced B-movie from the late 80's called TRANSFORMATIONS recently. I was immediately struck by the score, which is big, orchestral, highly varied and as a result - combined with a lack of a composer credit at the onset - made me surmise that this film was probably spotted with library cues. Lo and behold, come the end credits, I see a tag reading "Music Scoring by Associated Production Music".

There's a recurring love theme that sounds a LOT like an Alfi Kabiljo composition, esp. the love theme from SCISSORS. I can't help but wonder if some of the music is his.

There are two pieces that, in particular, really interest me: The opening and closing title cues.

The opening title is an exciting piece with rhythm-setting woodwinds performing over a long-lined string/brass motif. The main title can be found here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joeIUI7fcVI

And then there's the end title, which is a wonderful, ravishing, faintly melancholy theme for piano and orchestra. Though the video calls this piece a love theme, it is not sued in the film as such, and is only heard during the end title. I've had this piece stuck in my head for weeks and I'm dying to know who composed it"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycDablzPWZM

And a version without the opening and closing bits clipped off, but in poorer sound quality:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mb5kG_LR-W8

I've contacted APM Music several times with this inquiry, to no response. I defer to the experts here.

Any and all help would be phenomenally appreciated!

Posted:   Jun 2, 2014 - 4:32 PM   

Wanted to give this a quick bump in the hopes that someone knows these pieces!

Posted:   Jun 11, 2014 - 12:04 PM   

One more bump!

Posted:   Jun 11, 2014 - 8:16 PM   
 By:   Justin Boggan   (Member)

I don't recognize any of them.

Alternatively, you could look for composers working at APM during the time the film was releases, and simply e-mail them (if you can find a way to contact each), and provide the linsk and ask.

Here's a quick list to possibly get your started:

John Cacavas (unfortunately he's gone now, but maybe somebody at his estate answers his e-mail still)
Harry Edwards
Jonathan Jans
Johnny Sedona

Also, you might want to try and reach the music supervisor for the film:
Jonathan Bogner (he's also a producer, so you might have to hunt him down that way)

Posted:   Jun 27, 2014 - 4:44 PM   

I don't recognize any of them.

Alternatively, you could look for composers working at APM during the time the film was releases, and simply e-mail them (if you can find a way to contact each), and provide the linsk and ask.

Here's a quick list to possibly get your started:

John Cacavas (unfortunately he's gone now, but maybe somebody at his estate answers his e-mail still)
Harry Edwards
Jonathan Jans
Johnny Sedona

Also, you might want to try and reach the music supervisor for the film:
Jonathan Bogner (he's also a producer, so you might have to hunt him down that way)

Funny you should mention all of this - I did in fact email Bogner months ago (no response) and Jay Kamen, the director, who stated that post on the film was taken out of his hands and he has no idea who the composers involved were.

I searched for all the composers you mentioned above fairly exhaustively and alas, no dice. It DOES sound like it *could* be a Cacavas composition a little, both of them...

I emails APM music again, here's hoping for an answer before too long!