Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Mar 31, 2015 - 7:30 AM   
 By:   Thomas   (Member)

I agree. Great value for money, especially if like me you don't have too much of the content already. I could pick a few highlights but it's really all good. I've had mine about a month now and I've been listening to it extensively.

Posted:   Apr 3, 2015 - 7:23 AM   
 By:   dragon53   (Member)

Here's a review of the new set---including some negative comments about the audio quality of some of the cds.

Link: http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/henry-mancini-the-classic-soundtrack-collection/?utm_campaign=Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_source=email-359

Posted:   Apr 3, 2015 - 10:31 AM   
 By:   Bob DiMucci   (Member)

Here's a review of the new set---including some negative comments about the audio quality of some of the cds.

Link: http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/henry-mancini-the-classic-soundtrack-collection/?utm_campaign=Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_source=email-359

Here's the relevant paragraph on the sound quality:

"Sadly, Mancini’s scores have been shockingly underrepresented on CD. Most of the big hits were briefly available on excellent sounding Spanish RCA CDs. Charade and Breakfast at Tiffany’s were released on JVC XRCDs. The Pink Panther and Breakfast at Tiffany’s are available on Speakers Corner LPs that must be heard to be believed. The Pink Panther is also still available on an RCA (Buddha) CD. The complete dramatic soundtrack for Breakfast at Tiffany’s, including Audrey Hepburn singing “Moon River” in mono, has been released by Intrada. This recording presents a completely different perspective of the music as it demonstrates Mancini’s ability to write dramatic underscore. All of those CDs and LPs, if you can find them, are sonically preferable to The Classic Soundtrack Collection by a considerable margin. However, this collection is valuable because it is the only available collection of the majority of Mancini’s important scores, most of which are difficult or impossible to find on CD now, so it will be desirable for Mancini’s many fans despite the disappointing sound."