Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Feb 3, 2015 - 8:36 AM   
 By:   Stefan Huber   (Member)

Bump this thread again.

Here is my situation - I don't own ANY of this 18 albums in any format (LP/CD/digital).
So for me it's a great deal to grab them at one box.
But I also read reviews that some older editions are little better, than this one.

So, is it better for me to order this set (and if I calculate correctly, it will be still cheaper if I order separate CDs) or I need to wait for another decades 'till someone will release better version?

Thanks a lot!

If you don't have any thus far get it by all means! The only releases that sound consistently better are the Japanese CDs - and those go for big bucks (like at least $30 per title - up to $100 or more). Your next bet are HD downloads of the masters in this box - with $18 or more per title (not CD!) still a bit steep. I see that there also will be some SACDs (although different masterings again) in the next months.

This is the best value-for-money you're going to get - unless you want to take the HD train (and pay considerably more!).

Posted:   Feb 3, 2015 - 8:51 AM   
 By:   Bob Bryden   (Member)

I do concur that in spite of not being the dazzling re-masters some of us had hoped for, this box is fantastic deal for anybody who has not invested in these titles before.

Posted:   Feb 3, 2015 - 9:28 AM   
 By:   JB Fan   (Member)

Ok, thanks!
Will order this from Amazon-de very soon - seems that it's cheapest place where I can grab this one. And they also will recalculate it without 18% tax - another plus for me )))

Posted:   Feb 3, 2015 - 11:51 AM   
 By:   rommel_1942   (Member)

Ok, thanks!
Will order this from Amazon-de very soon - seems that it's cheapest place where I can grab this one. And they also will recalculate it without 18% tax - another plus for me )))

amazon UK is offering this for 23 pounds - the cheapest i saw...

Posted:   Feb 3, 2015 - 12:06 PM   
 By:   MOsdtks   (Member)

Ok, thanks!

I had some of these titles but still ordered this and I was not at all disappointed. Wonderful set.

Posted:   Feb 3, 2015 - 9:28 PM   

Ok, thanks!

THANKS A LOT!!!!
I didn't check UK Amazon this days (when I check it last time - about 2-3 months ago the price was higher).
But hey, now I paid only 23,57 GBP!
So the good thing - it's really lowest price for 18 albums (I'll make recompilation - original LP-programm in separate folder + "bonus" CD with all bonus tracks).
Bad thing - this is "standard shipping", and my previous experience was not so good - no tracking number, package arrived after 2.5 months (!!!) of waiting. But I thought it will be insane to pay 19.99 GBP for item & 25 (or so) GBP for shipping smile
Let's hope that this time all arrives safe and in time.

Posted:   Feb 3, 2015 - 10:39 PM   
 By:   rommel_1942   (Member)

THANKS A LOT!!!!
I didn't check UK Amazon this days (when I check it last time - about 2-3 months ago the price was higher).
But hey, now I paid only 23,57 GBP!
So the good thing - it's really lowest price for 18 albums (I'll make recompilation - original LP-programm in separate folder + "bonus" CD with all bonus tracks).
Bad thing - this is "standard shipping", and my previous experience was not so good - no tracking number, package arrived after 2.5 months (!!!) of waiting. But I thought it will be insane to pay 19.99 GBP for item & 25 (or so) GBP for shipping smile
Let's hope that this time all arrives safe and in time.

Unfortunately i also saw it too late - i bought mine from amazon.com for 75$ but at least i helped someone not to make my mistake smile

Posted:   Feb 4, 2015 - 1:28 AM   
 By:   Peter Greenhill   (Member)

I picked up a copy for £23.99 with free shipping at Amazon UK last night. I have 9 of the 18 albums but it still works out at just £2.60 per album for those I'm missing. One of the main reasons I'm buying is 'Me, Natalie' , a gorgeous score never before released on CD. I'd have paid the £24 just for that one.

Posted:   Feb 24, 2015 - 11:31 AM   

My copy just arrived, now I only ripping all CDs & convert them to iTunes, so only in next 2-3 days I can write about my impressions from this set.

Now can I ask a help?

Does anyone knows, where I can find ALL 18 LP covers (in hi-res)?

Or does anyone knows, whom could I contact at Sony (or any other place) for their versions of covers?
The problem is with my scanner - some defects appears each time I tried to scan (((

Thanks a lot!

Posted:   Feb 24, 2015 - 11:54 AM   
 By:   Jason LeBlanc   (Member)

Mine arrived yesterday from Amazon UK as well! Hopefully will dig into it soon.

Posted:   Feb 24, 2015 - 12:44 PM   
 By:   Spymaster   (Member)

My copy just arrived, now I only ripping all CDs & convert them to iTunes, so only in next 2-3 days I can write about my impressions from this set.

Now can I ask a help?
Does anyone knows, where I can find ALL 18 LP covers (in hi-res)?
Or does anyone knows, whom could I contact at Sony (or any other place) for their versions of covers?
The problem is with my scanner - some defects appears each time I tried to scan (((
Thanks a lot!

I might have just the thing. Bear with me a day or so...

Posted:   Feb 25, 2015 - 2:22 AM   

Posted:   Feb 25, 2015 - 2:31 AM   

Posted:   Feb 25, 2015 - 3:21 AM   

Spymaster, thanks a lot!!!
Now I need only The Great Race cover.

By the way, I already listen some tracks. It's sad that Meglio Stasera was taken directly from DVD. But I hope that one day we will see original score on CD. I'll watch it one more time in next 2-3 days - if I remember correctly, this is the only one Panther movie, where Hank used his Panther theme so often...
Maybe I even try to create list of "unreleased/re-recorded" cues wink

Posted:   Feb 25, 2015 - 4:00 AM   

Oops, sorry, missed that one - here you go!!