Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Apr 10, 2014 - 9:26 AM   
 By:   Heath   (Member)

Farnon's title music for this movie is, in my opinion, as good as they get. Whenever I catch it, I am, as we say in England, gobsmacked.

Here's a taste I found on Youtube. Sound quality's not too good, but you get the point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ox4g2Xko_Fc

Isn't it time some label looked into a release? A full Shalako too.

Posted:   Apr 10, 2014 - 11:24 AM   
 By:   Bob DiMucci   (Member)

Isn't it time some label looked into a release? A full Shalako too.

I'll second both of those. But if we can't get the BEAR ISLAND score, can we at least get a Region 1 DVD of the film so we can listen that way? And if we can't get the full SHALAKO score, can we at least get the LP on CD?

Posted:   Apr 10, 2014 - 1:58 PM   
 By:   vinylscrubber   (Member)

I would also enjoy hearing Farnon's score for BEAR ISLAND on CD. And, I would also enjoy seeing the film on DVD in it's original aspect ratio and in Dolby Stereo, as the lowly VHS release was only a mono version of this early Canadian produced Dolby Stereo film. (Don't recall if HBO or Cinemax even ran this one in stereo back in the day.)

Posted:   Apr 11, 2014 - 12:00 AM   
 By:   bobbengan   (Member)

The main title to BEAR ISLAND is included on an old Edel album called "Best of Adventure", a rare compilation that also includes excerpts from some unexpected gems: NATE AND HAYES, ARACHNOPHOBIA, THE DUELIST, RIDDLE OF THE SAND, THE RIDDLE OF THE SANDS, SHOOT TO KILL and lengthy suites from REMO, JAWS: THE REVENGE and THE GOONIES, in addition to some of the more expected stuff from related genres (Indy, Cliffhanger, Jurassic Park etc.).

This was a very early Nic Raine / City of Prague Philharmonic project and is a neat little album.

I'd be interested to hear more of BEAR ISLAND for sure. I've literally just discovered Farnon as a composer last week with his score to SHALAKO, which blew me away, cheesy male chorus/lyrics aside. Excellent main theme and symphonic writing in that one!

Posted:   Apr 11, 2014 - 1:13 PM   
 By:   Bob DiMucci   (Member)

I've literally just discovered Farnon as a composer last week with his score to SHALAKO, which blew me away, cheesy male chorus/lyrics aside. Excellent main theme and symphonic writing in that one!

Here's a suite of SHALAKO's music. I remember when I originally found the LP in a bargain bin. I had never even heard of the film, let alone the composer and the music. But I've been a fan ever since, and 45 years after the film's release, still await the score CD.

Posted:   Apr 11, 2014 - 1:39 PM   
 By:   judy the hutt   (Member)

I would love a C D of Captain Horatio Hornblower music by Mr. Farnon

Posted:   Apr 11, 2014 - 1:41 PM   
 By:   Justin Boggan   (Member)

Barry was offered "Shalako", but:
"I was offered one with Sean Connery and Brigitte Bardot, Shalako, which I thought I might like to do. Then I saw the film and decided I didn't."