Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Apr 1, 2014 - 5:53 PM   
 By:   Smaug   (Member)

In addition to the new A Midsummer Night's Dream Goldenthal composed for the new theater opening in Brooklyn in November that'll be released on Zarathustra later this year,

-he released a chamber music record (released today, April 1st) which is scrolling on the banner at iTunes Classical which features the world premiere of his String Quartet No.1 "The Stone Cutters"

-on May 2 he celebrates his 60th birthday

-on May 6 his Othello Symphony is being released:
Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/Elliot-Goldenthal-Othello-Symphony/dp/B00JEJMAJW/

-May 8 his new Symphony in G# Minor is premiering at the Pacific Symphony Orchestra in Orange County on a program of works by Williams, Shore, and Horner. The program will be broadcast on KUSC.

I posted the other day for those near NYC, he's appearing for a Q & A with Julie Taymor on April 4.

Othello Symphony:

Posted:   Apr 1, 2014 - 6:08 PM   
 By:   Khan   (Member)

Othello preordered!

Also, I'm enjoying the Stone Cutters release. That brass quintet is quite the revelation, too.

Posted:   Apr 1, 2014 - 6:56 PM   
 By:   Cvalda   (Member)

Was afraid this was going to be an April Fools post!

Preordered the Othello Symphony -- if I remember correctly, it was only 30 minutes long so here's hoping there's something else on the disc, $20 with shipping from Amazon is a bit steep for that, especially when I have the ballet CD.

Naturally Amazon didn't ship the Chamber Works disc til today, ugh, but can't wait to hear it whenever it does get here.

Posted:   Apr 1, 2014 - 7:10 PM   
 By:   Tango Urilla   (Member)

I've never seen the ballet, but as a fan of both Goldenthal and Othello, I will definitely be picking this up.

Posted:   Apr 1, 2014 - 7:22 PM   
 By:   Smaug   (Member)

I think Othello Symphony is 35 minutes long. I welcome a new version - if there's 100 Mahler Fifth Symphony's I'll take 2 Othello's!

Posted:   Apr 1, 2014 - 7:44 PM   
 By:   Cvalda   (Member)

I think Othello Symphony is 35 minutes long.
Still a bit short for this high a price point without any other filler on the disc. But's Goldenthal, I'm just happy to have him back wink

Posted:   Apr 1, 2014 - 8:02 PM   
 By:   Shaun Rutherford   (Member)

The Stone Cutters disc is only about 38 minutes, too. He wrote most of these pieces, save for the String Quartet, when he was 20-24 years old. Crazy.

Posted:   Apr 1, 2014 - 8:21 PM   

The Stone Cutters disc is only about 38 minutes, too. He wrote most of these pieces, save for the String Quartet, when he was 20-24 years old. Crazy.

The man has some skills.

Posted:   Apr 1, 2014 - 9:02 PM   
 By:   Tom Servo   (Member)

Great set of releases for Goldenthal fans, very glad to see these since his absence from films has been notable.

Posted:   Apr 2, 2014 - 12:17 AM   
 By:   Thor   (Member)

It's great that stuff is happening. As usual, some minor quibbles -- like desiring one of his many unreleased concert works over another version of OTHELLO and the inclusion of the previously available brass quintet on the STONE CUTTERS disc -- but as I said, just minor quibbles.

Wish I'd been able to attend any of these functions -- or that they had been timed with my NY visit in June -- but there you go.

I'll probably buy all of this; and hope I'll be able to catch the KUSC broadcast of the concert.

Posted:   Apr 2, 2014 - 10:26 AM   
 By:   Lokutus   (Member)

and MORE fantastic Goldenthal news might be coming very soon!

Posted:   Apr 2, 2014 - 11:07 AM   
 By:   ChristianK├╝hn   (Member)

Wait...EG is turning 60? In words: SIXTY? Damn that flying time...

Posted:   May 6, 2014 - 12:21 PM   

I received my copy of OTHELLO a day early (thanks Amazon), but have just now got around to listening to it. While I'm not done, I will say that the arrangements and trimming Goldenthal did to get this to symphony length are great. I don't feel it's a replacement for the Varese CD; rather, it can stand side by side it as an imagination. The redone Tarantella movement is incredible - the new combination of the pitch bending horns with the sultry sax utterly works.