Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Mar 14, 2014 - 4:18 AM   
 By:   Jim Phelps   (Member)

Many years ago, when I was in my late teens and twenties, I simply could not afford those delightful hardcover museum exhibition catalogs that museum bookstores sold. But oh my how I wanted them. Finances limited my ability to purchase these wonderful books as did my location, seeing as Miami really had (and has) nothing in terms of art museums. I would haunt the local book stores, wishing I could break through that plastic wrap and see the glorious works by the likes of Picasso, Modigliani, Magritte, and Klee.

I also had a serious music problem back then. Namely film scores. Perhaps you too had this "problem."

Now, flash forward twenty-plus years and I find that I am able to travel and when I do, I invariably get myself to the museums. And I find myself, like the middle-aged dope that I am, "making up" for those lost opportunities to "score" those kinds of books I only dreamed of as a twenty-year-old. I would even say the books are better now. I find myself stumbling unto exhibitions of major artists or groups of artists whose works had not been the subject of major exhibitions during the course of my lifetime. I simply cannot resist the treasures within. Online or in the museums themselves. I stagger into the book shop, already overwhelmed and exhausted from having the honor of seeing those masterworks up close (and under the watchful eye of an unhappy docent or paid employee) and I continue to be overwhelmed by the selection within these shops.

Good things come to those who wait, and I have waited nearly twenty-five years and I can now say with some embarrassment and perhaps even a little pride, that I am an art book junkie.

Okay. Confession over for now. Back to Star Wars, Star Trek, and pointless bickering. wink

Posted:   Mar 14, 2014 - 5:01 AM   
 By:   Kev McGann   (Member)

Well Jim, there are lots of Art Books covering both STAR WARS and STAR TREK, so don't reserve your love just for the Masters! wink

Posted:   Mar 14, 2014 - 5:06 AM   

Well Jim, there are lots of Art Books covering both STAR WARS and STAR TREK, so don't reserve your love just for the Masters! wink

Ralph McQuarrie, to name one such artist, is a GOD around the Phelps household!

I also believe that my love for comic book artists has been well established at this forum. smile

Posted:   Mar 14, 2014 - 11:54 AM   
 By:   EuellG   (Member)

I also believe that, I liked this thread.

Posted:   Mar 15, 2014 - 1:26 AM   
 By:   Ron Hardcastle   (Member)

A word about art books and, more to the point, the entire coffee table genre.

As I've noted elsewhere, a not too close friend suffered a mild stroke a few weeks ago as he approached 80 and I had to rescue him and get him hospitalized and later put into a senior care facility, where he'll spent the remainder of his life. When he was unable to do anything but squirm on the floor, I went to his apartment across town, the first time I had even had his address (he uses a p.o. box for his mail), and was startled to find that he had thousands of books, many for art and architecture and photography and music and dance and cinema and political cartoonists and ... and ... and.... Probably the biggest category would be the history of musical theatre, with 3 or 4 big books on Stephen Sondheim, several individual ones on Richard Rodgers, Oscar Hammerstein, Jerome Kern, Larry Hart, Tim Rice, Andrew Lloyd Webber, Noel Coward -- the list goes on and on and on -- plus some impressively massive tomes on the history of American and world theatre. He told me to take any that I wanted and to donate the rest to charitable organizations ... which is easier said than done! Some such organizations had absolutely no interest, while others would consider it only if the books were carefully boxed, which would be quite a job in itself. I wouldn't call this friend a "hoarder" in the usual sense of that word, but he has several large chests of drawers, with each drawer packed to the top with papers that he had carefully collected over several decades. And many of his closets were jammed with newspapers piled from the floor to the ceiling. I had offered a friend who regularly sells on eBAY and Amazon her pick of the books, but she finally decided, without seeing any of them, that there wouldn't be much of a market for such books -- and they are in excellent condition, with a number of them still sealed in plastic.

Too bad I couldn't find a junkie of fine books to volunteer to come get 'em!

Posted:   Mar 15, 2014 - 3:27 AM   

Ron: Those alleged charitable organizations refusing those books sounds like a case of "beggars being choosers."

Thanks for sharing that story.

Posted:   Mar 15, 2014 - 7:10 AM   
 By:   Ron Hardcastle   (Member)

Indeed!

Posted:   Mar 15, 2014 - 8:42 AM   
 By:   solium   (Member)

I have quite a few animation art books. Mostly Disney and Warner Brothers.

I love most of the contemporary sci fi/fantasy artists from the 60's-90's. Brian Froud, Frazetta, Joe Johnston, HR Giger, Ralph McQuarrie among others.

Today's artists working in Hollywood are all carbon copies of one another and all their work blurs together.

Posted:   Mar 15, 2014 - 11:57 AM   

It's staggering what some OOP art books go for, specifically exhibition catalogs. I've been looking for a nice Juan Gris book but there really hasn't been anything published in many, many years. There's one from the 1970s that is supposed to be republished but it's going for $280.00 and not all the painting reproductions are in color. It's a thousand+ page book. The idea is to get in and get these books asap because a year or so down the road, they're going to be ridiculously expensive and it may be decades before anything like them gets published.