Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Dec 1, 2013 - 6:15 AM   
 By:   welwynfilmstudios   (Member)

French label Carlotta Films has revealed that it plans to release on Blu-ray acclaimed director Billy Wilder's (Sunset Boulevard, Kiss Me, Stupid) Fedora (1978), starring William Holden, Marthe Keller, Michael York, Mario Adorf, José Ferrer, and Hildegard Knef. The preliminary release date set by Carlotta Films is February 26th.

Fedora was recently restored in 2K by Bavaria Media in cooperation with CinePostproduction, Germany. Earlier this year, the new restoration was screened in the Classics section of the Cannes Film Festival.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=12695

Posted:   Dec 1, 2013 - 9:58 AM   
 By:   Jameson281   (Member)

Olive Films has announced plans to release a Blu-ray in the U.S. in 2014; no release date has been announced.

Posted:   Dec 1, 2013 - 10:50 AM   
 By:   Brad Wills   (Member)

Any word as to whether Rozsa's butchered score will be reinstated in its proper form?

Posted:   Dec 1, 2013 - 1:59 PM   
 By:   John B. Archibald   (Member)

By "restored," they mean the quality of the picture?

Or, have any additional scenes been added?

Not a bad movie, with not a bad score; just very reminiscent of SUNSET BOULEVARD, which was way better... (Also reminds me of another old-star-makes-comeback film, THE LEGEND OF LYLAH CLARE, which is more of a potboiler, though still entertaining.)

Posted:   Dec 1, 2013 - 2:05 PM   
 By:   Ron Hardcastle   (Member)

John: Re: "Not a bad movie, with not a bad score; just very reminiscent of SUNSET BOULEVARD, which was way better... (Also reminds me of another old-star-makes-comeback film, THE LEGEND OF LYLAH CLARE, which is more of a potboiler, though still entertaining.)"

This is funny. I read the above before looking to see who had written it, and I said "That's John," and it was.

Posted:   Dec 2, 2013 - 10:01 AM   
 By:   Ron Pulliam   (Member)

There are two VERY GOOD things about "Fedora".

First and foremost, there is the soundtrack album of the score by Rozsa. Not the mix in the film...just the LP and CD soundtracks.

Second is the scene in which Henry Fonda (playing himself) presents an Oscar to "faux" Fedora. I think this scene was what Wilder was hoping the whole film would live up to.

It will, however, be as huge a disappointment on Blu ray as it was in the theater.

Posted:   Dec 2, 2013 - 11:26 AM   
 By:   Brad Wills   (Member)

There are two VERY GOOD things about "Fedora".

First and foremost, there is the soundtrack album of the score by Rozsa. Not the mix in the film...just the LP and CD soundtracks.

Second is the scene in which Henry Fonda (playing himself) presents an Oscar to "faux" Fedora. I think this scene was what Wilder was hoping the whole film would live up to.

It will, however, be as huge a disappointment on Blu ray as it was in the theater.

It suffered tremendously is post-production, apparently. The ultimate fatal flaw, IMO, is the dreadful dubbing of Marthe Keller and Hildegarde Neff. Ruins the whole movie. As for the score, the LP/CD is a lush re-recording. It would be great if the original sessions have been used to create a brand new mix, and present the score intact. It would probably give to to the film the suggestion of crumbling grandeur that it sorely needs. Still, I find the story intriguing.