Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Nov 2, 2012 - 12:06 PM   
 By:   Joseph H.   (Member)

The year is 2015, composer John Williams receives the following Skype transmission from a Disney music executive:

Disney Exec: John, I'm gonna cut right to the chase. We want you to do score the new "Star Wars" film.

JW: *rolls eyes*

Disney Exec: You do want to do the film, John?

JW: *laughs* I thought that it was a 6-film series. I've done a lot of Star Wars music.

Disney Exec. What we were thinking is that you could do the score again

JW: Gee, I don't know.

Disney Exec: Steven Spielberg is directing.

JW: Hmm... well now I HAVE to!

Variety headline:

Composer John Williams reluctantly scores Disney's "Star Wars," recycles 90% previous music

Posted:   Nov 2, 2012 - 12:40 PM   
 By:   Broughtfan   (Member)

I like the idea of the original composer returning to a film franchise (after many years) and composing a new score, one that doesn't reference any of his previous themes (even a new main title theme). I remember Bruce Broughton saying once that if he had "Silverado" to do again that he might score the titles much simpler, perhaps with just a guitar and some strings. If Jerry Goldsmith were still alive it would have been highly interesting to hear his"take" on a re-do of something like "Logan's Run." My guess is he would treat the film as an entirely new entity, eschewing the idea of re-using parts of his 1976 score.

BTW: Does anyone remember that at one time Lucas was considering having Williams re-score parts of "Star Wars" (Episode IV) with the Imperial March (because the theme is in parts 1-111)? What happened there?

Posted:   Nov 2, 2012 - 4:13 PM   
 By:   henry   (Member)

Sorry guys, I have to say it, Conti! Look what he did for MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE. He could use Williams main theme for the opening and then create his own themes like he did for FOR YOUR EYES ONLY. I know it won't happen, but I would love it!smileConti can write any kind of music.

Posted:   Nov 2, 2012 - 4:55 PM   
 By:   SchiffyM   (Member)

BTW: Does anyone remember that at one time Lucas was considering having Williams re-score parts of "Star Wars" (Episode IV) with the Imperial March (because the theme is in parts 1-111)? What happened there?

I don't think that was anything but an internet rumor.

Posted:   Nov 2, 2012 - 5:02 PM   
 By:   henry   (Member)

What happened to the rest of the STAR WARS movies in 3d?

Posted:   Nov 2, 2012 - 5:07 PM   
 By:   yonythemoony   (Member)

Again. If Star Wars will continue, it needs new blood. Not the same names that have been mentioned over and over again. If it's not Giacchino or JNH, then a new composer, who can make his breakthrough and create something unique, but carrying the spirit of the previous scores. Same with the new director and cast (if they'll bring a new cast).

Posted:   Nov 2, 2012 - 5:14 PM   
 By:   Buscemi   (Member)

What happened to the rest of the STAR WARS movies in 3d?

Episodes 2 and 3 will reissued next fall.

Posted:   Nov 2, 2012 - 5:56 PM   
 By:   JJH   (Member)

/

Posted:   Nov 2, 2012 - 5:56 PM   

I would kill for a Cliff Martinez Star Wars score.

razz

Posted:   Nov 2, 2012 - 7:28 PM   
 By:   adamtrons   (Member)

I think Disney proved with TRON: Legacy that they can do a SCI-FI film with talented actors, amazing visuals, state of the art production design and costumes. I think they will do great with STAR WARS. Maybe they will even add more STAR WARS attractions to Tomorrowland. I agree with what others said about George Lucas being good at the creativity but sometimes it's better when someone else directs. My favorite of the films so far is Empire Strikes Back, directed by Irvin Kershner. At least Episodes 7, 8, and 9 will take us out of the Jar Jar Binks era and into what happens after the of the fall of The Empire. Maybe Mark Hamill as an older Obi Wan Kenobi type figure with a new generation of characters.

As for film composer, I hope John Williams can do it. If composer Leo Ornstein can live to 108, then I have hopes for John Williams! If not, then I vote Michael Giacchino or Chris Tilton.

On the subject of expanded STAR WARS soundtracks, all I know is I've been waiting since 2002 for the Attack of the Clones track I will name "Anakins Confession in the Garage".

Posted:   Nov 2, 2012 - 7:28 PM   
 By:   lepedidus   (Member)

Giacchino. I never thought I'd ever say it but I'm not interested in John Williams scoring these movies. His recent work just does not have the classic Star Wars sound. Aside from a few thematic reprises, I feel like Episode 3 is unrecognizable as a Star Wars score. Episode 2 and Episode 1 weren't much closer. I want that classic Star Wars sound and that means I want something of an imitation and Giacchino would do the best possible imitation.

I'm aware I'm wanting something kind of boring but it's what I want.

Anyone else feel similarly?

Posted:   Nov 2, 2012 - 7:50 PM   
 By:   adamtrons   (Member)

I think while working on the Special Editions, either George Lucas or John Williams said in an interview they hoped to insert the Imperial March into a New Hope. However, I can't find the video on Youtube at the moment and it's entirely possible I hallucinated the entire thing. Perhaps a John Williams fan can check their archives. :=) They did not add Vader's Theme after all but I don't know why. What I do know is that for Jedi, they ended up replacing the original "Lapti Nek" with "Jedi Rocks" as well as "Yub Nub" replaced with "Victory Celebration". I miss the Ewok song the most but I have the MECO Ewok Celebration Extended Mix, so I'll get over it.

Posted:   Nov 2, 2012 - 8:34 PM   

the Jedi rocks is the single worst addition to the special editions.

I can actually forgive him for all the other ones, save the Han Solo screw up.

I'd give Shaun Rutherford's left nut for those two things to be gone.

(I haven't seen the NEW stuff since the last Blu-Ray release)

Posted:   Nov 2, 2012 - 10:08 PM   
 By:   Joseph H.   (Member)

Giacchino. I never thought I'd ever say it but I'm not interested in John Williams scoring these movies. His recent work just does not have the classic Star Wars sound. Aside from a few thematic reprises, I feel like Episode 3 is unrecognizable as a Star Wars score. Episode 2 and Episode 1 weren't much closer. I want that classic Star Wars sound and that means I want something of an imitation and Giacchino would do the best possible imitation.

I'm aware I'm wanting something kind of boring but it's what I want.

Anyone else feel similarly?

I thought Episode I was an extremely good score, but I think after seeing how bad the movie turned out to be, Williams didn't put the same effort into Eps. II and III (and who can blame him?)

Posted:   Nov 3, 2012 - 8:46 AM   
 By:   random guy   (Member)

Don Davis
John Debney
Elliot Goldenthal
John Powell

Posted:   Nov 3, 2012 - 9:54 AM   
 By:   Sir Patrick Spens   (Member)

I like whoever came up with the Conrad Pope idea. Giacchino, McNeely, Davis, Debney, I can live with these too. Anyone bring up David Newman? I think he'd do a good job.

Posted:   Nov 4, 2012 - 1:42 AM   
 By:   billyearle   (Member)

Peter Griffin can score it!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHAeXoHDSf4

He's really adept at Williams's style...

This is great, off topic, but any idea which season this is from? I gotta get the dvd.

Posted:   Nov 4, 2012 - 2:02 AM   
 By:   johncutler112003   (Member)

What if Disney went the route of hiring two composers?

One of the most successful reboots was Batman Begins with Newton-Howard and Zimmer. I can see Disney hiring two composers or at the very least Williams to do the themes and another big composer.

Posted:   Nov 4, 2012 - 3:38 AM   
 By:   marty1   (Member)

Since John Williams nominated Don Davis to take the helm in JP3 then he would be the obvious choice. His score for that film really kept the heart of Williams style but added his own dramatic edge to it in parts.

Next choice would either be David Arnold, who style for sci fi is again similar to Williams, or Michael Giacchino. His Star Trek theme was great and I still feel that his full creativity is yet to be explored, a project of this scale would give him a great chance to shine, I am sure he would not disappoint.

Whoever does it will still need to keep to a similar style and feel as the music is what made Star wars what it is today. What they will have to bring in is new themes for new characters and not only make them blend in together but make them memorable, something that only John Williams does really well. Most people, even if they are not into film scores, will recognise Williams themes above everyone elses. Whoever takes over will seriously have to rise to this challenge.

I wish people would stop putting down the prospect of more Star wars films. I am extremely passionate about films but the bottom line is they are supposed to be entertaining, even though the newer episodes were lacking in good natural character dialogue and banter they were certainly not boring. The most important elements of these films were great action, visuals, sound fx and of coarse, the music. Not the oscar winning performances or story lines.
You ask most kids if they prefer the new or the old episodes and most of them prefer the new, so again we are generation biased towards whatever we grew up with.

I am really looking forward to the new episodes and this time if George Lucas is in the background maybe we will get a director that can bring the more human element that we can associate with and add it to some seriously good action.

Marty

Posted:   Nov 4, 2012 - 6:28 AM   
 By:   solium   (Member)

Daft Punk of course!