Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Sep 18, 2013 - 7:46 PM   
 By:   PFK   (Member)

I got the Newman cd today. Only took two days and I live 2,500 miles east of Los Angeles! I usually get them in just two days, must have a good postal connection.

Just started to play it now. Great sound quality and just a delightful score. Sure is wonderful to have it. Alfred Newman was such a huge talent. Never saw the film so this score is new to me.

Thanks Bruce and I look forward to more Kritzerland golden age cds down the road. smile

Posted:   Sep 19, 2013 - 3:10 AM   
 By:   ajhfsm   (Member)

The strings are on full throttle! Saccharine with extreme vibrato.

COUNTERFEIT TRAITOR remains my goto Alfred, best dramatic underscore. Probably one of the least liked amongst Alfred Newman fans hence it hasn't sold out.

I'm really looking forward to the Takamitsu.

Posted:   Sep 19, 2013 - 3:04 PM   
 By:   Sigerson Holmes   (Member)

What's the likelihood of a new & improved Newman "Airport," Kritzerland?

Posted:   Sep 19, 2013 - 4:02 PM   
 By:   Yavar Moradi   (Member)

At the present time the chances of Airport from Kritzerland: 0%. Bruce presently has no studio relationships outside these three: MGM, Paramount, and as of this past year, Fox. He has no connection yet with Sony/Columbia, Warner Bros. (which includes pre-1986 MGM titles and RKO), or Universal. Hence no Airport unless it comes from Intrada or perhaps LLL...

Yavar

Posted:   Sep 19, 2013 - 7:41 PM   
 By:   haineshisway   (Member)

At the present time the chances of Airport from Kritzerland: 0%. Bruce presently has no studio relationships outside these three: MGM, Paramount, and as of this past year, Fox. He has no connection yet with Sony/Columbia, Warner Bros. (which includes pre-1986 MGM titles and RKO), or Universal. Hence no Airport unless it comes from Intrada or perhaps LLL...

Yavar

But the lovely thing is - things change. Just know that we're constantly working to change things. Diligently. All the time. smile

Posted:   Sep 19, 2013 - 7:42 PM   
 By:   ajhfsm   (Member)

Go Bruce! I love your stuff.

Posted:   Sep 19, 2013 - 9:11 PM   

Yavar

But the lovely thing is - things change. Just know that we're constantly working to change things. Diligently. All the time. smile

Bruce, I hope in time you will be able to issue a few "Max Steiner at Warner Bros." cds! smile

Now Playing: The Pleasure of His Company! smile

Posted:   Sep 19, 2013 - 9:33 PM   
 By:   Sirusjr   (Member)

What's wrong with the Airport CDS that are out? Again, like True Grit, I don't know the state of the scores.

Posted:   Sep 19, 2013 - 9:44 PM   
 By:   Josh Mitchell   (Member)

What's wrong with the Airport CDS that are out?

Out of print and expensive on the second-hand market.

Posted:   Sep 19, 2013 - 9:48 PM   

What's wrong with the Airport CDS that are out?

Out of print and expensive on the second-hand market.

Also, the CD/LP is a re-recording with a probably smaller orchestra and shorter than the complete soundtrack score. Still, I always liked the LP, bought it when it came out. Missed the CD. Page Cook told me Ken Darby conducted the LP re-recording as Alfred Newman was too ill.

Posted:   Sep 19, 2013 - 10:22 PM   
 By:   Basil Wrathbone   (Member)

I enjoyed two plays of Pleasure of His Company today. Very nice indeed.

Are we getting any closer to 3:10 to Yuma?

Posted:   Sep 19, 2013 - 11:02 PM   
 By:   haineshisway   (Member)

I enjoyed two plays of Pleasure of His Company today. Very nice indeed.

Are we getting any closer to 3:10 to Yuma?

Not at the moment. I'm ever hopeful and we're actually going to try a back door and see if that helps.

Posted:   Sep 19, 2013 - 11:26 PM   
 By:   McMillan & Husband   (Member)

we're actually going to try a back door and see if that helps.

Oh, matron!

Posted:   Sep 20, 2013 - 2:58 PM   
 By:   smuli of finland   (Member)

I'm ever hopeful and we're actually going to try a back door and see if that helps.

I once was a back door man.
Unrelatedly: nowz-a-days I find myself liking some of these older score better and better. I used to be prejudiced against them, mostly because of poor sound quality. That has improved in recent years. I while back I made a guest appearance on a Finnish radio show, played some Newmans (skipped Joey, of whom I have only two). Thomas, Randy, David and Alfred were represented. David's theme (for Dumbo Drop) was the best of those, but Alfred's was definitely the best single track of the bunch. Even as an anti-religionist I proudly admit loving 'The Robe', especially the 'Finale/Hallelujah'.
To get back on topic, I'll be ordering me some Alfred soon, namely this topic's album. Exclamation mark.

Posted:   Sep 20, 2013 - 3:44 PM   
 By:   Entr'acte   (Member)

Ordered this with COUNTERFEIT TRAITOR - can't wait to listen to both.

Any idea when we might get a complete version of ANNE FRANK?

Posted:   Sep 20, 2013 - 5:00 PM   
 By:   Sirusjr   (Member)

Sound quality is certainly an issue on some but thankfully many recent releases sound phenomenal.

Posted:   Sep 29, 2013 - 2:07 PM   
 By:   Doug Raynes   (Member)

Been listening to THE PLEASURE OF HIS COMPANY today. I’m not familiar with the film and don’t recall ever seeing it. Usually I don’t like to buy a soundtrack if I don’t know the film but Alfred Newman is one of my rare exceptions. This is Newman in easy listening mode and that’s not of course meant to be derogatory in any way – I grew up in a household which delighted in such music and this score has great nostalgic appeal. Wonderfully melodic, the musical themes effortlessly drift over one. Ideal music for unwinding and relaxing at the end of the day.

Posted:   Sep 29, 2013 - 8:10 PM   

Been listening to THE PLEASURE OF HIS COMPANY today. I’m not familiar with the film and don’t recall ever seeing it. Usually I don’t like to buy a soundtrack if I don’t know the film but Alfred Newman is one of my rare exceptions. This is Newman in easy listening mode and that’s not of course meant to be derogatory in any way – I grew up in a household which delighted in such music and this score has great nostalgic appeal. Wonderfully melodic, the musical themes effortlessly drift over one. Ideal music for unwinding and relaxing at the end of the day.

I too have been enjoying this cd greatly. It's very relaxing, at times has the sound of Newman's 1940s night club music. It has something most film scores of recent decades really lack, it has real melodies! Just a beautiful score with excellent sound quality. Great cd Bruce! smile