Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Jun 3, 2014 - 11:48 AM   
 By:   johnjohnson   (Member)

Prepare to get annoyed, flabbergasted and suspicious: it seems that partly-missing classic, The Underwater Menace, may not get a DVD release.

Those following the “missing believed wiped” saga will know that episode two of the Second Doctor serial was found and unveiled to eager Whovians in 2011 alongside “Airlock,” episode three of Galaxy 4. With two of the four now in the archives, we were all expecting animation to accompany them and for a DVD release to be issued to the Classic line later this year. Amazon even listed it for pre-order.

However, Steve Roberts, project leader of the much-loved Restoration Team, seems to have dashed all hopes when he told TVShowsOnDVD:

“[W]e’re the team that remasters the episodes for DVD release and even we don’t have a clue what’s going on with TUM now. From where we’re standing, it’s looking like the range is dead.”

Previously, the last we heard, animation was being halted as the studio doing it “having other higher priority projects.” Even more mysteriously, the above trailer for The Underwater Menace was included on The Moonbase DVD.

So what in the name of Rassilon is happening?!

There are a few options to ponder. Perhaps the range is dead and we won’t get to see it alongside our Second Doctor collections after all. If so, we should all be very disappointed with the BBC. But realistically, would they do that to us?

Perhaps the Restoration Team aren’t being used for this release. It’d certainly be an odd move, if so.

And finally, here’s fuel for the Omnirumour (ongoing rumblings that a vast amount of previously-missing Who has now been found, including Marco Polo): that the other two episodes have been found and they’re still trying to make a deal with Phillip Morris so have delayed the DVD.

Smoke and mirrors, or bitter disappointment? I know which I’d prefer…

http://www.kasterborous.com/2014/06/dvd-release-underwater-menace/

Posted:   Jun 4, 2014 - 11:26 AM   

Scavenging lost Doctor Who episodes: it’s an amazing true tale of keen advocates breaking bureaucracy with dogged and determined passion – and no one’s tale is more fascinating than Sue Malden’s quiet yarn of changing hearts and minds at the BBC during the late seventies and early eighties.

It may be hard to believe now but when Sue started out on a student placement at the BBC film library in the mid-1970’s, there was no formal BBC Videotape archive – only a working film library which maintained the use of current productions.

Speaking to SciFiNow, Sue recalls the slow progress she and her fellow archivist had convincing the BBC to merge both units as a mutual concern:

“There was quite a protracted, drawn-out discussion at the BBC, that eventually ended up with the merge of the film and videotape [collections]. I can’t exactly remember when that happened. It must have been about ’77/’78, something like that.

Prior to that we’d just been the film library and that was because, in a way, all the film that was produced by the BBC was produced by film department and so the library looking after it was managed by film department. Videotape recordings were very much the province of VT engineers and the VT department. And the two didn’t have much to do with one another.”

The onus on changing the minds of the very production minded VT engineers fell to fellow film archivist Anne Hanford, who, arguing quite rightly, that both creative fields were the BBC’s library finally broke that barrier – however, this presented a new problem of cataloguing all the recently admitted videotape stock:

“I remember us getting printouts coming into the library, showing videotape that was being wiped. My boss at the time found out that this sort of thing was going on and managed to get into the loop so that these printouts came to us and we could then start marking them with stuff for retention – overriding the production department’s decision to get rid of it.

For the first couple of times of us doing it nobody took any notice of our decisions, but eventually we got that going… I went and spoke to all the heads of production and engineering, explaining that now we were going to be keeping more videotape and I was going to have responsibility for that.”

The first part of her job was to stop the wiping, rather than actively looking for missing episodes. Unfortunately, when the BBC first starting broadcasting programmes on videotape in 1950, almost nothing of the first ten years remained while for the next ten years prior to Sue’s arrival the records were patchy at best.

Narrowing her focus, Sue decided that she needed a seminal series; something that had touched more than one generation – and only one programme would do; Doctor Who.

During the 1970’s attitudes towards television began to change. Thanks to the a new appreciation of television as an art form in its own right and the sterling work of both the British Film Institute and The National Film and Television Archive, Sue found herself working closely with Paul Madden (their work lead to Madden’s book Keeping Television Alive), fact-checking against the BBC archive.

Discovering an anomaly between the two archives, Sue managed to track down episodes missing from the BBC’s archive to BBC Enterprises – an early incarnation of what we now know as BBC Worldwide, the commercial arm of the BBC.

Speaking to Paul’s contact at Enterprises, Sue made a discovery that is still being examined and studied today:

“I explained to her that: ‘You don’t realise, but some of these titles aren’t actually in the main archive.’ …They’d got no idea… They assumed that the tape had survived. It wouldn’t have occurred them to think that this film recording was unique… This woman was flabbergasted when I told her [and] agreed to let me check out everything they got back; everything that was in their store and everything that was in their catalogue… So, that became a very fruitful period… Obviously there was some Doctor Who in that.

I started to talk to Enterprises’ people asking them if they would communicate with their contacts to let them know that we’d prefer to have it back, rather than them wipe it or junk it… Sometimes they would give me lists of countries to who they knew they’d sold things and I suppose that then I was focussing specifically on Doctor Who – trying to trace specific countries where it had been sold…”

It’s down to the hard work of Sue and the BBC archive that we have now recovered and can enjoy most of the lost episodes on VHS first and then DVD – and it’s these practices started by Sue and her department that are responsible for recently turning up more of those fabled lost episodes.

Fandom owes her a great deal indeed.

http://www.kasterborous.com/2014/06/sue-malden-saviour-doctor-whos-early-serials/

Posted:   Jul 21, 2014 - 10:10 PM   

Missing episode hunter Philip Morris, who was responsible for last year's discovery of 9 previously missing episodes from The Enemy of the World and The Web of Fear at a Nigerian television station, has today declined to confirm whether or not he has found any further episodes of Doctor Who.

Morris has been taking part in an online question-and-answer session at the Doctor Who Missing Episodes Discussion Group on Facebook. Since 9pm UK time, Morris has been answering questions submitted by members of the group earlier in the day.

Asked to say whether or not he had found any further episodes, Morris told the group:
A tricky one to answer

And fans will just want a yes or no haven't you or have you. But it's complex all I can say is the wind is blowing the right way be patient. I don't wish to jeopardise the ongoing project in any way .And feel the fans of all lost tv will be very happy with the outcome.

Morris told the group of the dangers inherent in searching unstable areas of the world for vintage television programmes, including encounters with bandits and armed militia and narrowly being missed by a mortar shell in Syria. But he said he had also been inspired by countries such as India, and Ethiopia, which are "nations of very innovative people who find the most amazing ways of doing things with little funding".

Morris defended the statement issued last year, before the return of The Web of Fear and Enemy of the World, which declared the episodes "all gone"

It was a statement of fact. All the original video recordings were wiped, all the known negatives were junked and all out of contract film copies sent to landfill. They are the facts sadly. However moving on from that you have non returned prints audition films. And things which people thankfully thought to take home.
Morris said that the two stories he would most like to see returned are The Tenth Planet, Episode 4 and Power of the Daleks, as these are such key episodes.

However he said fans should not expect any news in the near future.

There are no announcements in the pipeline at present.It can sometimes be the wrong thing with ongoing work and investigation. An example would be during the last announcement I was in a very hostile part of the world and suddenly I was everywhere on tv my anonymity was compromised. Which made the team a target .So we must plan these things carefully for the greater good of the project and the safety of the personnel involved.

BBC Worldwide has previously stated to Doctor Who Magazine earlier this year that "BBC Worldwide does not have any of the 97 missing episodes of Doctor Who, and none of them have been - or are being - restored for release... We're aware of these rumours, and are keen to set the record straight... as we don't want fans' hopes to be falsely raised."

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2014/07/missing-eps-qa-20072014211115.html

Posted:   Jul 22, 2014 - 2:27 PM   
 By:   (Member)   (Member)

Another false hope. It's a big nothing.
Please don't post unless they obtain new materials from foreign countries.
Let's wait for next year to post. Perhaps 2015 will be more encouraging.

Posted:   Jul 23, 2014 - 9:42 AM   

The Myth and the Legend: Recovering Tomb of the Cybermen

http://doctorwhoworldwide.com/2014/07/22/the-myth-and-the-legend-recovering-tomb-of-the-cybermen/

Posted:   Jul 23, 2014 - 9:43 AM   
 By:   Jim Phelps   (Member)

Another false hope. It's a big nothing.
Please don't post unless they obtain new materials from foreign countries.
Let's wait for next year to post. Perhaps 2015 will be more encouraging.

I was going to say the same thing. smile

OT: Hey johnjohnson, show some parity and post news when Woody Allen films get Blu-ray releases. After all, Radio Days is #2 on SAE's best seller list.

Posted:   Jul 23, 2014 - 12:42 PM   
 By:   (Member)   (Member)

Morris told the group of the dangers inherent in searching unstable areas of the world for vintage television programmes, including encounters with bandits and armed militia and narrowly being missed by a mortar shell in Syria. But he said he had also been inspired by countries such as India, and Ethiopia, which are "nations of very innovative people who find the most amazing ways of doing things with little funding".

(…)

There are no announcements in the pipeline at present. It can sometimes be the wrong thing with ongoing work and investigation. An example would be during the last announcement I was in a very hostile part of the world and suddenly I was everywhere on tv my anonymity was compromised. Which made the team a target. So we must plan these things carefully for the greater good of the project and the safety of the personnel involved.

That's the best part when Morris faces danger as a true blue adventurer. Oh, my word!
But I think he should send Randall & Hopkirk Deceased to do the hunting job.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rMpH4QvOzI