Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Dec 27, 2013 - 7:16 PM   
 By:   RM Eastman   (Member)

I remember the days, about 50 or so years ago, when all of the great composers were working. It was just an amazing time for great music; Steiner, Herrmann, Rozsa, Bernstein, Tiomkin and many other composers. It was a great music life back then.

Posted:   Dec 28, 2013 - 11:40 AM   
 By:   Tall Guy   (Member)

I remember the days, about 50 or so years ago, when all of the great composers were working. It was just an amazing time for great music; Steiner, Herrmann, Rozsa, Bernstein, Tiomkin and many other composers. It was a great music life back then.

But the great thing is, we still have the music from the 60s and the 70s, both on disc and increasingly on bluray, which are as good quality as I'll ever need them. You and I might not enjoy ALL the same things, but at least it's all still there. Giacchino, Desplat, Murphy and a few others are putting some stuff out that I enjoy almost as much, and Morricone, Schifrin, Legrand, Williams and other legends from my preferred "silver age" may not be as prolific as they once were but might still surprise.

Posted:   Dec 28, 2013 - 11:40 AM   

May all of our alleys be damnationed...

...and your bugs Satanic?

Posted:   Dec 28, 2013 - 12:24 PM   
 By:   Francis   (Member)

Send for the warlock.

And the psycho too.

Posted:   Dec 14, 2014 - 12:27 AM   

It's been nearly a year, and I gather there's been a Goldsmith release or three. First of all I'm happy to have been prescient... And secondly, what's been YOUR favourite?

I confess, I haven't bought any of them, but then I'm struggling to think of much that I have picked up this year for one reason or another. I'm hoping for a better year all around in 2015, and to catch up with people that I might have neglected, but would you say that 2014 was in fact a landmark year for JG fans?

Posted:   Dec 14, 2014 - 12:42 AM   
 By:   Loren   (Member)

It's been nearly a year, and I gather there's been a Goldsmith release or three. First of all I'm happy to have been prescient... And secondly, what's been YOUR favourite?

for 2014 releases?

1) The List Of Adrian Messenger
2) The Jerry Goldsmith Collection Volume 2 - Piano Sketches
3) Psycho II
4) Deep Rising
5) Night Crossing

Posted:   Dec 14, 2014 - 2:16 PM   
 By:   Kim Tong   (Member)

My favorites for this year:

1) Psycho II
2) Deep Rising
3) Night Crossing
4) The List Of Adrian Messenger

Posted:   Dec 14, 2014 - 2:29 PM   
 By:   johnjohnson   (Member)

Thank you Tallguy. Anyone who has Morricone as his second favorite composer has got to be a jolly good fellow!

Merry Christmas!

I seem to remember the lads @ Movie Boulevard always having good words to say about Morricone.

Posted:   Dec 14, 2014 - 2:41 PM   

Thank you Tallguy. Anyone who has Morricone as his second favorite composer has got to be a jolly good fellow!

Merry Christmas!

I seem to remember the lads @ Movie Boulevard always having good words to say about Morricone.

They always had a good selection of Morricone in the shop, but of course their first love was JB.

Posted:   Dec 14, 2014 - 4:28 PM   
 By:   johnjohnson   (Member)

Merry Christmas!

They always had a good selection of Morricone in the shop, but of course their first love was JB.

Yes. To them, there was none better than JB.

Posted:   Dec 14, 2014 - 7:16 PM   
 By:   SBD   (Member)

Should probably wait for whatever Quartet is cooking, but...

1. The List of Adrian Messenger
2. Dennis the Menace
3. Deep Rising
4. Night Crossing