Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Aug 20, 2013 - 9:24 AM   
 By:   Timmer   (Member)

Giant mutant man eating squirrels.

big grin

I do believe there is already a film in the works, no kidding.

Posted:   Aug 20, 2013 - 9:41 AM   
 By:   Thor   (Member)

I don't really care. Anything, really. As long as you kept the atmosphere (the jungle, the research stations, the rainy nights, the awe and wonder etc.) on one hand and the kinetic action setpieces on the other.

But of course, dinosaurs is a very useful 'creature' because they actually existed and one is able to spin some sci fi around that.

Posted:   Aug 20, 2013 - 12:28 PM   
 By:   Mr. Marshall   (Member)

JP3 while a flawed film, is at least entertaining in a "B" movie way with one of the coolest dino showdowns in film history.... (IMHO)

you shoulda quit while you were ahead
LOL
smile
brm

Posted:   Aug 20, 2013 - 2:40 PM   
 By:   henry   (Member)

So much negativity!

I adore the first film -- one of two candidates to my alltime favourite film, and I've seen it at least 30 times -- and am also totally in love with the other two. I just love the JP universe from end to end. I could stay there forever.

So I obviously don't agree with the review, nor most of the comments in this thread, but anyone's free to their opinion.

JURASSIC PARK 4-EVER!

I would like to like the third, and have tried, but I just can't. I do have it on Blu-ray only because it came in the trilogy boxset and they weren't released individually initially. If anyone here wants my JURASSIC PARK 3 Blu-ray copy it's yours for free, but it will come in a slim jewel case since I'm keeping the boxset box. The disc is in mint condition.

Posted:   Aug 20, 2013 - 4:54 PM   
 By:   Michael24   (Member)

I LOVE the first two movies, but despise the third, and am baffled how anyone can like it!confused

I like all three, but would rank #3 above #2. The second has some good set pieces (and a great score, of course), but some of the characters are annoying and, like the joke in #3 says, there's "too much chaos; everything's chaos." big grin

#3 wisely ditches all of that, since we got enough of it in the previous two films, and instead goes for a straight forward action/adventure tale that is purely entertaining and fun. Joe Johnston is one of my favorite directors, and I've yet to be disappointed by anything he's made.

Posted:   Aug 21, 2013 - 12:10 PM   
 By:   Mr. Marshall   (Member)

I LOVE the first two movies, but despise the third, and am baffled how anyone can like it!confused

one word: aviary
brm

Posted:   Aug 21, 2013 - 12:37 PM   
 By:   solium   (Member)

one word: aviary
brm

Score!

Posted:   Aug 21, 2013 - 1:00 PM   
 By:   nuts_score   (Member)

I am actually appalled that people enjoy The Lost World. Outside of three terrific set pieces (the InGen mercenary dinosaur hunt, the T-Rexes and the caravan, and the raptors snatching the survivors in the long grass) it is one of the worst big budget movies I've had the displeasure of sitting though (most recently that honor has gone to Elysium, so fret not Spielberg-baters).

The Lost World is such a complete miscalculation and aberration of the joy that made the first film work, the character of Ian Malcolm (who is now unexpectedly a stupid action hero), and also Crichton's magnificent character work that Spielberg and screenwriter David Koepp adapted for Jurassic Park. Pete Postlewaithe's Roland Tembo is a brilliant character in this film, and should've shared the spotlight alongside Jeff Goldblum but instead he is shafted and the actor's awesome performance is relegated to second fiddle so that the storytellers can make space for Malcolm's black daughter (portrayed by an actress who is not even slightly of mixed race), Julianne Moore's shrieking paleontologist, and Richard Schiff's unfortunate bumbling engineer. Vince Vaughn does good work here, and I actually miss this supporting player version of the actor. There's a nice subplot in Crichton's The Lost World book about rival corporation BioSyn's corporate espionage to theft dinosaur eggs which plays into a subplot from the first book and film. Sadly, The Lost World film is such a hack-job that a compelling case for drama was lost upon the returning screenwriter and director. (Actually, was there a script for this film?)

The less said about the climax in San Diego, the better.

Unsurprisingly, those who stick up to defend The Lost World's bloat also decry Jurassic Park III (a film which notoriously didn't have an unfinished script by the time principal photography began). Outside of an unsatisfying (and obviously hastily-written) finale, JPIII is a dynamite adventure film with amazing effects, terrifying dinosaur action, and the return of the beloved character Dr. Alan Grant. I can highly recommend this one as a satisfying continuation of the world of Jurassic Park.

Now please, take us back to the thriving post-park island of Isla Nublar!

Posted:   Aug 21, 2013 - 1:21 PM   

One of the things I love about TLW was, while a love the first film, is that it gave us something different instead of a retread like with the 3rd. And a poor retread at that. Also, I think the effects in the 3rd were a huge step down. The brachiosaurs and the animatronic spino looked terrible! What happened?

Posted:   Aug 21, 2013 - 1:30 PM   

I am actually appalled that people enjoy The Lost World. Outside of three terrific set pieces (the InGen mercenary dinosaur hunt, the T-Rexes and the caravan, and the raptors snatching the survivors in the long grass) it is one of the worst big budget movies I've had the displeasure of sitting though (most recently that honor has gone to Elysium, so fret not Spielberg-baters).

The Lost World is such a complete miscalculation and aberration of the joy that made the first film work, the character of Ian Malcolm (who is now unexpectedly a stupid action hero), and also Crichton's magnificent character work that Spielberg and screenwriter David Koepp adapted for Jurassic Park. Pete Postlewaithe's Roland Tembo is a brilliant character in this film, and should've shared the spotlight alongside Jeff Goldblum but instead he is shafted and the actor's awesome performance is relegated to second fiddle so that the storytellers can make space for Malcolm's black daughter (portrayed by an actress who is not even slightly of mixed race), Julianne Moore's shrieking paleontologist, and Richard Schiff's unfortunate bumbling engineer. Vince Vaughn does good work here, and I actually miss this supporting player version of the actor. There's a nice subplot in Crichton's The Lost World book about rival corporation BioSyn's corporate espionage to theft dinosaur eggs which plays into a subplot from the first book and film. Sadly, The Lost World film is such a hack-job that a compelling case for drama was lost upon the returning screenwriter and director. (Actually, was there a script for this film?)

Unsurprisingly, those who stick up to defend The Lost World's bloat also decry Jurassic Park III (a film which notoriously didn't have an unfinished script by the time principal photography began). Outside of an unsatisfying (and obviously hastily-written) finale, JPIII is a dynamite adventure film with amazing effects, terrifying dinosaur action, and the return of the beloved character Dr. Alan Grant. I can highly recommend this one as a satisfying continuation of the world of Jurassic Park.

Ha, ha...isn't it great that we all can relate to a film in so different ways? smile

I find THE LOST WORLD to be a superb film (there are a couple of flaws, but nothing to detract from the overall experience).

At least we can agree on the merits of JPIII.

Posted:   Aug 21, 2013 - 1:34 PM   

People complain about the t-rex sneaking up without impact tremors in the first two films, but the spino did the same in the third. You couldn't hear the impact tremors but you could hear a phone ring inside the spino?

Posted:   Aug 21, 2013 - 1:37 PM   

Ha, ha...isn't it great that we all can relate to a film in so different ways? smile

I find THE LOST WORLD to be a superb film (there are a couple of flaws, but nothing to detract from the overall experience).

At least we can agree on the merits of JPIII.

Thor, I admire your love of the trilogy.smileEveryone is free to love whatever movie they want. I love the first two too, but I just can't get into the third.

Posted:   Aug 21, 2013 - 1:37 PM   

People complain about the t-rex sneaking up without impact tremors in the first two films, but the spino did the same in the third. You couldn't hear the impact tremors but you could hear a phone ring inside the spino?

I call that artistic licence. There wouldn't be much surprise excitement if you constantly heard the thundering footsteps of the dino. You don't hear the footsteps of the T-Rex in the first film either, when he pops out from behind the bushes to eat a velociraptor or when he comes to save the day in the end (to speak nothing of how he stumbled in through the too-small door to begin with).

Posted:   Aug 21, 2013 - 1:40 PM   

I call that artistic licence. There wouldn't be much surprise excitement if you constantly heard the thundering footsteps of the dino. You don't hear the footsteps of the T-Rex in the first film either, when he pops out from behind the bushes to eat a velociraptor or when he comes to save the day in the end (to speak nothing of how he stumbled in through the too-small door to begin with).

I know, but people complain about the artistic licence in the first and second movie, but not the third?

Posted:   Aug 21, 2013 - 1:47 PM   

Also, people complain about Goldblum being annoying in the second, but Tea Leoni's character in the third was the most annoying character in recent years!

Posted:   Aug 21, 2013 - 1:56 PM   

I'm just so happy I like all of them! smile

Posted:   Aug 21, 2013 - 1:57 PM   

Instead of the spino killing the t-rex, it should have eaten Leoni's character! That would have been a better movie.

Posted:   Aug 21, 2013 - 2:30 PM   
 By:   Octoberman   (Member)

... or when he comes to save the day in the end (to speak nothing of how he stumbled in through the too-small door to begin with).

Hey! Who left the loading dock wide open? Dammit you guys, don't you know what can happeAAAAAAAARRRRG!!!!!!

Posted:   Aug 21, 2013 - 5:12 PM   
 By:   Timmer   (Member)

JURASSIC PARK is tied for first with RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK for my all time favorite movie.

You really got to go out and see more movies then. Seriously!

Perhaps OnlyGoodMusic could enlighten us as to why someone shouldn't choose these two films as their all time favourites? roll eyes

Posted:   Aug 21, 2013 - 5:16 PM   
 By:   nuts_score   (Member)

Also, people complain about Goldblum being annoying in the second, but Tea Leoni's character in the third was the most annoying character in recent years!

I didn't think Goldblum was annoying in part 2 (though his daughter and Julianne Moore were), but Ian Malcolm behaved in completely non-Ian Malcolm behaviors throughout the film. That was not the Malcolm from the first film or book. It was a poor caricature of an un-reluctant hero.

Tea Leoni, however, yes she was shrill. One yearns for the strong female center that Laura Dern brought to Jurassic Park in the other two, and judging by the theory of diminishing returns, JP4 is to feature a female Japanese helicopter pilot who can't help but get her shirt wet every once in awhile as she screams and runs from a docile triceratops.