Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Sep 30, 2012 - 6:07 PM   
 By:   dan the man   (Member)

But people, notice if you look down the whole thread it is about 50/50, which tells you something about the media telling us everyone should get a shot.

Posted:   Sep 30, 2012 - 7:18 PM   
 By:   mastadge   (Member)

What does the media have to do with it?

Generally a vaccine is very similar to the disease it help immunize against: that's how it works. They find, make or cultivate a less dangerous version of the disease or another microbe with a similar structure, give it to you, and let your immune system learn how to handle it, so that if you ever come into contact with the actual deadly version of the disease your immune system will be equipped to deal with it immediately. As in any medical intervention, there is some risk, but as a general thing the risk from the vaccine is much lower than the risk from the actual disease itself. Further, vaccines aren't just for the individual but serve a community purpose: there are many people in any city who are immuno-compromised or cannot take the vaccine for other reasons. Thus, the more people who can take the vaccine, the greater the herd immunity: the fewer vectors the disease has to get at those who can't. It is no coincidence that after every ridiculous vaccination media scare infection rates of diseases shoot way up.

Posted:   Sep 30, 2012 - 7:56 PM   

Your points are valid, but there are some people who just as well don't take it and nothing bad will happened to them.Like health care, each person should decide what they want and don't want, nothing should be forced down someone's throat, Unless of course one in life is doing harm to another from every stage of the human lifespan, then the word choice could be wrong.

Posted:   Sep 30, 2012 - 8:08 PM   

Oh, I don't propose mandating vaccinations. I just wish sensationalist vaccine scares would stop spreading dangerous misinformation about them.

Posted:   Sep 30, 2012 - 8:55 PM   
 By:   jpteacher568   (Member)

I have always gotten a flu vaccination ever since I was in high school and everyone was concerned about the swine flu around 1975-1976. The main reason I get one now is that I teach foreign students who do come to class sneezing and coughing during the seasonal weather changes and I cannot afford to get sick.

Posted:   Oct 1, 2012 - 4:10 AM   
 By:   CinemaScope   (Member)

Yep, in half an hours time. I don't know what good it does, but it's free & I only have to walk round the corner to my doctor.

Posted:   Oct 1, 2012 - 4:25 AM   
 By:   Francis   (Member)

Posted:   Oct 1, 2012 - 10:08 AM   
 By:   Michael24   (Member)

I've never gotten a flu shot. Well, maybe when I was a kid, but I don't remember. Certainly never in my adult life. I don't get sick that often anyway, and when I do it's nothing a few days' rest and some over-the-counter meds can't take care of.

Posted:   Oct 10, 2013 - 9:00 PM   

Two years ago my girlfriend got a flu shot and was sick from FEBRUARY to MARCH. Last year she didn't get a flu shot and she was not sick at all. Makes you wonder. Folks are you getting one this year?

Posted:   Oct 10, 2013 - 10:07 PM   
 By:   joan hue   (Member)

Yes, as I said above, I'll never skip it. Got it 2 days ago.

Posted:   Oct 11, 2013 - 11:51 AM   
 By:   Mr Greg   (Member)

Of course....I lost a very, very dear friend to Flu (he was a fit and healthy 25 year-old), and will not take the chance.

Posted:   Oct 11, 2013 - 12:03 PM   
 By:   solium   (Member)

Two years ago my girlfriend got a flu shot and was sick from FEBRUARY to MARCH. Last year she didn't get a flu shot and she was not sick at all. Makes you wonder. Folks are you getting one this year?

Obviously a flu shot is actually injecting a small amount of the virus into your system so you can build up an immunity to it. Afterwards if your exposed to the full force of the virus your body has a better chance of fighting off the infection. If the flu shot didn't work it's because the immune system was to weak to begin with. For the record same thing happened to me. Got a flu shot then got the flu a few years back.

Posted:   Oct 11, 2013 - 12:40 PM   

Obviously a flu shot is actually injecting a small amount of the virus into your system so you can build up an immunity to it. Afterwards if your exposed to the full force of the virus your body has a better chance of fighting off the infection. If the flu shot didn't work it's because the immune system was to weak to begin with. For the record same thing happened to me. Got a flu shot then got the flu a few years back.

....except that the Flu viruses within the vaccine are dead and inactive....you can not get Flu from a Flu vaccine. HOWEVER, some of the side-effects can include certain symptoms that may be flu-like. Also, if you had Flu (it is possible to have early stages without realising it) or many other conditions (including the common cold) BEFORE you had the vaccine then Flu can develop whether you have the vaccine or not. Plus, of course, most people who say they have flu just simply don't....they have something else that displays flu-like symptoms. A Doctor friend of mine has an adage - if someone turns up to his surgery saying they have Flu, then they don't have Flu.

Also - no vaccine is 100% effective of course...but if you are in the "At Risk" group it's worth spending a few quid on...

Posted:   Oct 11, 2013 - 12:49 PM   

....except that the Flu viruses within the vaccine are dead and inactive....you can not get Flu from a Flu vaccine. HOWEVER, some of the side-effects can include certain symptoms that may be flu-like. Also, if you had Flu (it is possible to have early stages without realising it) or many other conditions (including the common cold) BEFORE you had the vaccine then Flu can develop whether you have the vaccine or not. Plus, of course, most people who say they have flu just simply don't....they have something else that displays flu-like symptoms. A Doctor friend of mine has an adage - if someone turns up to his surgery saying they have Flu, then they don't have Flu.

Also - no vaccine is 100% effective of course...but if you are in the "At Risk" group it's worth spending a few quid on...

Interesting I didn't know all of that. I assumed I got the flu from the flu shot! Thxs for expanding on how that stuff works.

Posted:   Oct 11, 2013 - 1:20 PM   

Yeah, vaccines are not just injecting you with "a little bit" of the disease. They basically do 1 of 3 things to a pathogen to prepare a vaccine:

1) They kill it.
2) They breed a strain in the lab that has mutations that render it harmless, but that still has the same bits that your immune system would recognize on the dangerous form.
3) They use technology to produce just the part of the pathogen that your immune system recognizes but not a whole organism.

(For instances, many viruses have a "shell" that houses the dangerous genetic bits inside of it. So they might inject you with just the empty shell, so that your immune system can prepare for it, but without the stuff inside the shell that could start wreaking havoc in your own cells.)

Posted:   Oct 11, 2013 - 1:31 PM   

Interesting I didn't know all of that. I assumed I got the flu from the flu shot! Thxs for expanding on how that stuff works.

It's amazing how few people actually DO know...the number of times I've heard "No, I'm not getting the vaccine because it gives you 'Flu so what's the point?"...I should point out that some of my clients are in the "At Risk" group hence why I've done my homework over the years, plus losing a good friend to Flu does tend to concentrate the mind a little!!...but no, you didn't get it from the shot - you either already had it, or you got some side effects/symptoms which you (probably quite reasonably) mistook for 'flu, or it just simply wasn't effective on you.

Posted:   Oct 11, 2013 - 1:49 PM   
 By:   henry   (Member)

It's amazing how few people actually DO know...the number of times I've heard "No, I'm not getting the vaccine because it gives you 'Flu so what's the point?"...I should point out that some of my clients are in the "At Risk" group hence why I've done my homework over the years, plus losing a good friend to Flu does tend to concentrate the mind a little!!...but no, you didn't get it from the shot - you either already had it, or you got some side effects/symptoms which you (probably quite reasonably) mistook for 'flu, or it just simply wasn't effective on you.

Very insightful my friend.smile Also, are their any longterm side effects from flu shots?

Posted:   Oct 11, 2013 - 2:07 PM   

Very insightful my friend.smile Also, are their any longterm side effects from flu shots?

Nothing to write home about....there is some suspicion that a possible long term side effect might be onset of Guillan-Barre Syndrome - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guillain-Barre_syndrome - which is highly unpleasant! But the odds are highly stacked in your favour...and if you go by some figures available, you are more likely to get the syndrome if you DON'T have the Flu vaccine. But - of course - NO vaccine is 100% safe 100% of the time...as with everything else in life, it's about playing the odds.

Posted:   Oct 11, 2013 - 2:31 PM   

Mr Greg & mastadge : Fascinating stuff. Always enjoy learning something new.

Posted:   Oct 11, 2013 - 3:15 PM   
 By:   Sirusjr   (Member)

I also appreciate the information about how it works. I haven't had a flu shot in years if ever, much to my boyfriend's annoyance. I really hate those needles and the minor discomfort they give. I did have a really bad case of the flu a few years back that led to me spending a week in bed and that really sucked.