Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Jul 27, 2012 - 4:28 AM   
 By:   Simon Morris   (Member)

Okay, just a quick update re: CBS's Star Trek: The Next Generation - Season One Blu-ray set. There is a confirmed audio issue that affects 7 episodes in the set - Encounter at Farpoint, Hide and Q, The Big Goodbye, Datalore, 11001001 and Too Short a Season. (Naturally, none of the episodes I watched prior to my review!) The impact is that in the DTS 7.1 mixes for these episodes, character dialogue that should normally be in the center channel is also mixed into the front left and right channels. The other episodes are unaffected. However, there's a secondary audio issue being reported as well in which the PCM audio for some of the extra features on Disc One and Disc Six plays out of sync on at least some models of Blu-ray player. CBS has begun investigating both issues. As soon as we get some kind of official word from them as to what they find to be the cause and how they're going to fix the problems, we'll let you all know.

http://thedigitalbits.com/#072512a

That fella mentions 7 episodes and lists only 6. Presumably the other is Haven, which sounds awful regardless of what sound option you pick.

A shame the sound is messed up on a few episodes, and hopefully they'll set up an exchange procedure once they've corrected them. But the picture is superb.

Posted:   Jul 28, 2012 - 10:38 AM   
 By:   Nicholas_DW   (Member)

I would love to see the remastered "Best of Both Worlds" on the big screen.

See, I feel that "Best of Both Worlds" has been completely overexposed. It's a really good two-parter, but that's all in my opinion. I'm a character man and that one doesn't have lots of character-oriented material in the second half. Overall, the second part feels like a very made-for-TV finale that should have been much greater. That's likely just me though since I see nearly endless praise for it. My favorite part is Picard's wonderful "turn the page" talk with Guinan in the first half.

Posted:   Jul 28, 2012 - 10:41 PM   
 By:   Superman1701   (Member)

Yikes...I'm glad I havent gotten this yet...I'll wait and see what CBS says. Hopefully its corrected by the Vegas Trek con...

Posted:   Jul 31, 2012 - 7:31 AM   
 By:   johnjohnson   (Member)

CBS Home Entertainment and Paramount Home Media Distribution are reacting to consumer complaints about audio anomalies on the new box set of Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 1. A replacement program has been instituted and replacement discs will be sent to consumers free of charge. Following is the official press release with appropriate contact information:

Dear Star Trek Fans, We have discovered an anomaly in the English 7.1 DTS Master Audio track in our Star Trek: The Next Generation Season 1 Blu-ray Box set. There are some episodes that inadvertently had their front channel designations incorrectly mapped, resulting in an undesired playback experience when listening to them in a 7.1 or 5.1 Surround Sound environment. We are quickly working to remedy the situation. Replacement discs (Disc 1, 3 and 4) will be made available free of charge. Please email he.stng@bydeluxe.com">phe.stng@bydeluxe.com for details regarding the replacement program. You may also call 1-877-DELUXE6 (877-335-8936) between 8am to 6pm Pacific, Monday-Friday. We strive to provide our fans the best Blu-ray experience possible and sincerely apologize for this inconvenience.

UPDATE: The fulfillment firm is simply sending replacement discs to those who can verify the code on the inner ring of any of the Blu-ray discs (it's very hard to read, so having a bright light is helpful). There is no need to mail in the defective discs. According to the fulfillment firm, replacement discs will be sent within 5-10 business days after August 10.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=9223

Posted:   Aug 2, 2012 - 7:29 PM   
 By:   henry   (Member)

Anyone know when the corrected sets will be in stores?

Posted:   Sep 6, 2012 - 5:54 AM   

CBS DVD and Paramount Home Entertainment have today announced that Star Trek: The Next Generation - Season 2 is coming to high-def Blu-ray Disc format on December 4th. This 5-disc set stars Patrick Stewart, Jonathan Frakes, LeVar Burton, Brent Spiner, Michael Dorn, Marina Sirtis, Wil Wheaton, and introduces to the cast both Whoopi Goldberg as "Guinan" and Diana Muldaur as "Dr. Pulaski." Also, "Chief O'Brien" (Colm Meaney) becomes a regularly recurring character during this season. This is also the season where The Borg are first introduced to the Trek universe.

Guest stars include Billy Campbell, Joe Piscopo, Teri Hatcher, William Morgan Sheppard, Suzie Plakson, Chris Latta, Brian Thompson, Mädchen Amick, Carolyn Seymour, Noble Willingham, John Tesh, Nikki Cox, John de Lancie, Robert Costanzo, Majel Barrett, Carel Struycken, Mick Fleetwood, Lance LeGault, Anne Ramsay, and Armin Shimerman. This season, shortened due to a strike in Hollywood, only came to 22 episodes (the final one consisting mostly of clips from earlier episodes). Still, it contained a number of fan-favorite episodes such as "Elementary, Dear Data," "The Measure of a Man" and "The Emissary." As there was with the first season set, the studio plans to hold a theatrical screening event in December promoting the Star Trek: The Next Generation - Season 2 Blu-ray Disc release (details are forthcoming).

Cost is $129.99 SRP. Here's a list of included bonus material (which consists of both extras from previous DVD release of this title, plus new items produced for this Blu-ray version), followed by the packaging and a pre-order link:
Promos
Gag Reel
Featurette: Archival Mission Log: Departmental Briefing Year 2: Production (SD)
Audio Commentary with Dan Curry, Don Berman and Mike Okuda
Audio Commentary with Melinda Snodgrass and Robert Scheerer
Featurette: Reunification: 25 Years After The Next Generation (HD)
The Measure of a Man (HD Extended Version)
The Measure of a Man (Hybrid Extended Version)
Featurette: Archival Mission Log: Inside Starfleet Archives: Penny Juday - Star Trek Coordinator (SD)
Featurette: Making It So: Continuing The Next Generation (HD)
Archival Mission Log: Selected Crew Analysis Year 2 (SD)
Archival Mission Log: Mission Overview Year 2 (SD)
Archival Mission Log: Departmental Analysis Year 2: Memorable Missions (SD)

http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Star-Trek-Generation-Season-2-Blu-ray/17450

Posted:   Sep 6, 2012 - 6:02 AM   
 By:   Francis   (Member)

I read somewhere that they sold near 100.000 sets of the first season so far? I still haven't picked it up but would like to make sure when I do it will have the corrected discs.

Looking forward to season 2!

Posted:   Sep 6, 2012 - 10:26 AM   

Another theatrical event?!? Hopefully it's "Q-Who?" and "The Measure of a Man"! This is fantastic news!!!

Posted:   Sep 28, 2012 - 7:04 PM   

I read somewhere that they sold near 100.000 sets of the first season so far? I still haven't picked it up but would like to make sure when I do it will have the corrected discs.

Looking forward to season 2!

I found a corrected set with the Starfleet logo on the spine at Best Buy today and bought it! Just watched disc 1 and it's fantastic!

Posted:   Sep 29, 2012 - 11:46 AM   

Is the Starfleet logo indicative of the corrected version?

Posted:   Sep 29, 2012 - 3:34 PM   

It is indeed. Also, the barcode is yellow.

Posted:   Sep 30, 2012 - 4:10 AM   
 By:   Francis   (Member)

With the corrected audio thing as well as the high prices for these sets, I've decided to wait for the complete set. I'm sure by this time next year all seasons will be out.

Posted:   Oct 2, 2012 - 12:09 PM   

It is indeed. Also, the barcode is yellow.

Good to know. Thanks.

With the corrected audio thing as well as the high prices for these sets, I've decided to wait for the complete set. I'm sure by this time next year all seasons will be out.

Unless their plans have changed, I thought they were only planning to do 2 a year.

Posted:   Oct 3, 2012 - 5:42 AM   

As you know Star Trek: The Next Generation - Season 1 is already out on Blu-ray Disc, and on December 4th CBS/Paramount will release Season 2 Blu-rays as well. The third season is being worked on as well, and the TrekCore website has a new interview with the team which has been working on this. It's a great inside look at the technical side of this effort, including how difficult it is at times to track down footage. As part of the interview, they reveal near the end that sometimes the hunt for film sequences leads the team to find new bloopers and outtakes, which may come out as extras on future Blu-ray releases...and commentary tracks as well:
TrekCore: Sarah and Wendy, do you sometimes stumble across deleted scenes or bloopers or outtakes when you're going through the boxes, or has that material all been destroyed?

Wendy Ruiz: It's not been destroyed. It's just hard to identify it. There's nothing really labelling it as an outtake or blooper. We have some notes, but not many, and when we do find notes for what we can clearly figure out to be a blooper or an outtake, we set them aside for the blu-rays.

TrekCore: So there is a chance that those will be coming on future sets?

Wendy Ruiz: That's our hope, yes!

TrekCore: Can you tell us any more?

Wendy Ruiz: We're barely starting our search now for Season 3 bloopers and outtakes. If we find stuff, and if it's interesting enough, then we'll use if hopefully.

...Craig Weiss: The one thing about Star Trek, and the company [CBS] is that they listen to the fans. [The Fans] also have a huge voice in this. So, they are very influential - so I'm sure if the fans … like, if the fans really wanted Deep Space Nine as a blu-ray release, the company would really look at that and take it into consideration. In this franchise, the fans really drive a lot of what happens.

TrekCore: I think that's what's more surprising. I know there was a large demand after Season 1 asking if future seasons were going to get audio commentaries, and now CBS are indeed doing those for Season 2. This is great to see - how much the feedback process is influencing the blu-rays, and how much CBS are taking on board.

Craig Weiss: Absolutely. That's why the fans are so important. For future shows like Deep Space Nine, if [the fans] start lighting up those message boards that they're so thrilled with this product and would love to see that, then the company starts to really listen to that.
Our thanks to reader Adam Walker for the heads-up about this interview, with this cool information about the upcoming ST:TNG Blu-ray Disc season sets. As they say, if Trek fans want more of this type of work for Deep Space Nine (or other shows) for additional Blu releases, the interest has to be there on these BD sets coming out now. And don't just say it, either...vote with your dollars! Star Trek: The Next Generation - Season 3 plans are in the works, and we'll have info about that once it's available: stay tuned!

http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Star-Trek-Generation-Blu-ray-Plans/17559

Posted:   Nov 2, 2012 - 5:45 AM   

Yesterday we brought you the official CBS/Paramount press release for Star Trek: The Next Generation - Season 2 on Blu-ray Disc, coming to stores on December 4th. One of the features of this press release we reported on was that it contained a complete, finalized list of all the extensive bonus materials which are on this 5-disc set.

Except that it didn't. Today we learned that it was actually missing two items that should have been mentioned as part of Disc 4: Audio Commentary on the "Q Who?" epsiodes, with Dan Curry, Rob Bowman and Mike & Denise Okuda, and Deleted Scenes from episodes such as "Up the Long Ladder." Our thanks the studio for providing us this information, and also to Adam Walker of TrekCore for his assistance with this. Here is a revised list of the on-disc contents with this list, copied and pasted from materials sent to us by the studio's P.R. team:
Disc One:
Episodes
The Child
Where Silence Has Lease
Elementary, Dear Data
The Outrageous Okona
Loud as a Whisper
Special Features
Episode Promos
Promo #1
Promo #2
Promo #3
Promo #4
Promo #5
1988 On-Air Season Two Promo
Energized! Season Two Tech Update
1988 Reading Rainbow segment with LeVar Burton
2012 Reading Rainbow iTunes Promo
Archival Mission Log: Department Briefing Year 2 - Production

Disc Two:
Episodes
The Schizoid Man
Unnatural Selection
A Matter of Honor
The Measure of a Man
Special Features
Episodic Promos
Promo #1
Promo #2
Promo #3
Promo #4
The Measure of a Man (HD Extended Version)
Audio Commentary with Melinda Snodgrass and Mike & Denise Okuda
The Measure of a Man (Hybrid Extended Version)

Disc Three:
Episodes
The Dauphin
Contagion
The Royale
Time Squared
The Icarus Factor
Special Features
Episodic Promos
Promo #1
Promo #2
Promo #3
Promo #4
Promo #5
Gag Reel
Archival Mission Log: Inside Starfleet Archives: Penny Juday, Star Trek Coordinator
Archival Mission Log: Selected Crew Analysis Year Two

Disc Four:
Episodes
Pen Pals
Q Who?
Samaritan Snare
Up The Long Ladder
Manhunt
Special Features
Episodic Promos
Promo #1
Promo #2
Promo #3
Promo #4
Promo #5
Audio Commentary with Dan Curry, Rob Bowman and Mike & Denise Okuda
Deleted Scenes
Archival Mission Log: Departmental Analysis Year 2: Memorable Missions

Disc Five:
Episodes
The Emissary
Peak Performance
Shades of Gray
Special Features
Episodic Promos
Promo #1
Promo #2
Promo #3
Reunification: 25 Years After Star Trek: The Next Generation
Making It So: Continuing Star Trek: The Next Generation
Part 1: Strange New Worlds
Part 2: New Life and New Civilizations
Archival Mission Log: Mission Overview Year Two

http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Star-Trek-Generation-Season-2-Extras/17689

Posted:   Nov 2, 2012 - 5:00 PM   

I'm so excited about the extended version(s) of "The Measure of a Man"! I never thought I'd see that done for a TV episode, but now that it's been presented I HAVE to see it. And what an episode to have footage restored. Fantastic!

Posted:   Feb 6, 2013 - 10:49 AM   

Season Three of Star Trek: The Next Generation took televised science fiction storytelling to new heights. Now, on high definition Blu-ray, the seminal season of this beloved series is more spectacular and compelling to watch than ever. Experience such thought provoking episodes as "The Survivors," "Sins of the Father," "The Offspring" and one of the great cliffhangers in television history; Part One of "The Best of Both Worlds"...like never before in glorious 1080p with 7.1 sound.
Following the success of the first two seasons on high-def format, CBS/Paramount have today announced that Star Trek: The Next Generation - Season 3 is coming to Blu-ray Disc on April 30th. Bonus Material for this 6-disc BD set includes:
Promo Trailers for all 26 episodes (SD)
Audio Commentary on selected episodes with participants such as Rene Echevarria, Jonathan Frakes, Ron Moore, Ira Steven Behr and David Carson
Archival Mission Log: Selected Crew Analysis Year Three (SD)
Archival Mission Log: Mission Overview Year Three (SD)
Archival Mission Log: Departmental Briefing Year Three: Production (SD)
Archival Mission: Departmental Briefing Year Three: Memorable Missions (SD)
Star Trek The Next Generation: Inside The Writer's Room (HD)
Resistance is Futile: Assimilating The Next Generation (HD)
A Tribute to Michael Piller (HD)
Bloopers: Gag Reel (HD)

http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Star-Trek-Generation-Season-3-and-Best-of-Both-Worlds/18030

Posted:   Feb 6, 2013 - 10:50 AM   

Yesterday CBS/Paramount announced that April 30th will see a pair of TV-on-BD releases in the Trek-i-verse, with Star Trek: The Next Generation - Season 3 6-Blu-ray-disc set, and a special single-disc release of Star Trek: The Next Generation - The Best of Both Worlds on Blu-ray, with both parts of the fan-favorite story brought together in one place, in high definition! In our previous write-up we had the extras, package art and price ($129.99 SRP) for Season 3, but not for The Best of Both Worlds.

Today we've learned that the Borg-infested title will cost $27.98 SRP, and it includes a Gag Reel, an Audio Commentary (with Director Cliff Bole, Mike and Denise Okuda, and actress Elizabeth Dennehy), and the Featurette "Regeneration: Engaging the Borg" (a behind-the-scenes look at the Borg via interviews with cast, writers, producers, visual effects staff and makeup artists). Note that the studio describes these as "Exclusive, brand new bonus content that won't be available on the Season Three or Season Four Blu-ray discs."

http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Star-Trek-Generation-The-Best-Of-Both-Worlds/18036

Posted:   Feb 6, 2013 - 3:34 PM   

Jeez! A spoiler alert would have been nice before just showing us the cover of the Best of Both Worlds set! wink

Posted:   Feb 6, 2013 - 4:49 PM   
 By:   Michael24   (Member)

I'll definitely buy the Blu-Ray of "The Best of Both Worlds." I still can't afford the season sets at the moment, but this will be a nice buy to hold me over, plus it will allow me to finally unload my old "Borg Collective" set.