Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Aug 13, 2009 - 8:23 AM   
 By:   Jim Phelps   (Member)

As a major, major fan of Steve Ihnat, thanks so much for posting those screencaps! I've yet to acquire this set, but now I'm going to have to....

Feel free to share more. ; )

I think you'll find that everyone in this thread--and several more on this board--are admirers of (the lamentably late) Mr. Ihnat's talent. For the longest time, my wife couldn't tell when he was on screen because the man disappeared so well into a role. The man was brilliant, just brilliant.

Posted:   Aug 13, 2009 - 1:50 PM   
 By:   Altamese   (Member)

>>> think you'll find that everyone in this thread--and several more on this board--are admirers of (the lamentably late) Mr. Ihnat's talent. For the longest time, my wife couldn't tell when he was on screen because the man disappeared so well into a role. The man was brilliant, just brilliant.

In that case, I hope it's permissable to share the URL of a tribute site I'm making for him? Still under construction, but there's some stuff there worth looking at.

Took the liberty of using the Mannix photos from here...

http://volcanoseven.com/BriefCandle

Posted:   Aug 13, 2009 - 2:39 PM   

In that case, I hope it's permissable to share the URL of a tribute site I'm making for him? Still under construction, but there's some stuff there worth looking at.

Took the liberty of using the Mannix photos from here...

http://volcanoseven.com/BriefCandle

Looks good so far! I've bookmarked your site. However, the Bonanza season nine episode featuring Ihnat, "A Dream to Dream" is not really "lost":

http://ponderosascenery.homestead.com/lostepisodes.html

Posted:   Aug 15, 2009 - 7:52 AM   

Happy Birthday to Mike "Touch" Connors, who's 84 today. (and with any luck, my S2 DVDs will arrive in the mail today)

Mike Connors IS Mannix!

Posted:   Aug 15, 2009 - 8:18 AM   
 By:   Stefan Miklos   (Member)

Happy Birthday to Mike "Touch" Connors, who's 84 today. (and with any luck, my S2 DVDs will arrive in the mail today)

Mike Connors IS Mannix!

Happy birthday Joe!

Posted:   Aug 15, 2009 - 9:01 AM   

As a major, major fan of Steve Ihnat, thanks so much for posting those screencaps! I've yet to acquire this set, but now I'm going to have to....

Feel free to share more. ; )

Here are some more about Gus Keller.

Posted:   Aug 15, 2009 - 2:50 PM   
 By:   Altamese   (Member)

Thank you very much, Banacek!!! Much appreciated!

>>>Looks good so far! I've bookmarked your site. However, the Bonanza season nine episode featuring Ihnat, "A Dream to Dream" is not really "lost":

Thanks for this info, Mr. Phelps.

Posted:   Aug 16, 2009 - 2:10 AM   

Thank you very much, Banacek!!! Much appreciated!

>>>Looks good so far! I've bookmarked your site. However, the Bonanza season nine episode featuring Ihnat, "A Dream to Dream" is not really "lost":

Thanks for this info, Mr. Phelps.

Ihnat-wise, he shines in a two-parter entitled "The Inheritors" from "The Outer Limits":
http://www.daystar-productions.eu/tol/tol_s2/tol_eps42.html
http://www.daystar-productions.eu/tol/tol_s2/tol_eps43.html

Posted:   Aug 19, 2009 - 12:34 PM   

Joe Mannix kicked in my mailbox today. Cleaned out my rat hole of an office and picked up my last check from Intertect. Let the beatings begin.

Posted:   Aug 19, 2009 - 1:05 PM   

Joe Mannix kicked in my mailbox today. Cleaned out my rat hole of an office and picked up my last check from Intertect. Let the beatings begin.

The season opener is a real winner! Jason Evers' performance is noteworthy!

Posted:   Aug 21, 2009 - 5:29 AM   

The season opener is a real winner! Jason Evers' performance is noteworthy!

It's a fine start to the "relaunched" Mannix. Good performances all around. And Audree Norton--"Jody"-- was pretty! She was excellent in this.

Lalo delivered an energetic score--fantastic!

BTW, 17 Paseo Verde has the same architecture as a McDonald's location in my neighborhood during the 1970s!

Seriously, season two is looking like a big improvement over the Intertect phase.

Posted:   Aug 21, 2009 - 6:28 AM   

BTW, 17 Paseo Verde has the same architecture as a McDonald's location in my neighborhood during the 1970s!

Seriously, season two is looking like a big improvement over the Intertect phase.

17 Paseo Verde sets are seen in "Bag Woman" when Jean Royce gets in her blue convertible and cornered by Jim and an agent.
It's actually located near the offices of Paramount Pictures.
Season 2 is when "Mannix" really starts to blossom in the "overall" quality and you noticed it.

Posted:   Aug 22, 2009 - 2:55 PM   

Four episodes into S2 now and I can say that I love Gail Fisher! She and Mike Connors have great chemistry together. She has a wonderful speaking voice and is fun to watch. She makes the most of her limited screen time and I'm looking forward to more.

I like how Intertect is still mentioned, and he explains why he left. Peggy even visits Intertect for information and the employee there says something like, "we spend an hour a every day hating Mannix."

Also nice to hear our man Jerry Fielding score "Pressure Point", an episode with notable vintage TV actors Paul Stewart and Harold Stone. Check out Stewart in Hawaii Five-O S3, "Ten-Thousand Diamonds and a Heart" as the mobster from the age of Capone, Willard Lennox.

Posted:   Aug 22, 2009 - 3:01 PM   
 By:   Eric Paddon   (Member)

I have to be honest, I miss the Intertect dynamic and the love-hate relationship between Mannix and Wickersham. Without it, Mannix comes off more as just another formula private eye loner type but the Intertect dimension at least offered a new variant.

Posted:   Aug 22, 2009 - 6:12 PM   

I have to be honest, I miss the Intertect dynamic and the love-hate relationship between Mannix and Wickersham. Without it, Mannix comes off more as just another formula private eye loner type but the Intertect dimension at least offered a new variant.

I like Campanella and the Intertect concept, but the presence of those room-sized computers would've dated the show even more, though seeing as I love dated things, that wouldn't be a problem. I just don't think they really did anything with the Intertect angle.

Posted:   Aug 23, 2009 - 1:05 AM   

Four episodes into S2 now and I can say that I love Gail Fisher! She and Mike Connors have great chemistry together. She has a wonderful speaking voice and is fun to watch. She makes the most of her limited screen time and I'm looking forward to more.

I like how Intertect is still mentioned, and he explains why he left. Peggy even visits Intertect for information and the employee there says something like, "we spend an hour a every day hating Mannix."

Also nice to hear our man Jerry Fielding score "Pressure Point", an episode with notable vintage TV actors Paul Stewart and Harold Stone. Check out Stewart in Hawaii Five-O S3, "Ten-Thousand Diamonds and a Heart" as the mobster from the age of Capone, Willard Lennox.

The change of producer helps the show from a quality perspective.
Wilton Schiller only worked on season 1 and then the winning team of writers Ivan Goff and Ben Roberts tookover.
How do you like Joe's new car? Do you remember the tank he used to drive during season 1?

Posted:   Aug 29, 2009 - 12:36 PM   

"Edge of the Knife" is a GREAT Mannix episode!!! Great supporting cast with Fritz Weaver, Ford Rainey, Geraldine Brooks, Eve Plumb(?), and the great Red West.

A fine score by George Duning and outstanding direction by Stuart Hagmann--lots of artsy-fartsy angles and zooms worthy of Mission: Impossible. Duning's score, particularly in the climactic rooftop chase and fight was so good. And the ending could've been mawkish in the wrong hands, but they pulled it off with genuine emotion and flair.

Posted:   Oct 20, 2009 - 8:55 AM   

"The Solid Gold Web" was an intense, interestingly-directed episode (by M:I vet Sutton Roley) and I loved every minute of it. Sally Kellerman has been following me around this week, first I see her on Five-O ("The Big Kahuna"), then as a ingenue on Cheyenne, and today on Mannix. I hope she's okay! wink

BTW, who composed the music for "The Solid Gold Web"? There's no credit other than Schifrin for the theme. Interesting sounds when Diana (Kellerman) is on the oceanside cliff and Joe is searching for her. Reminds me of the dream sequence in The Conversation!

And season three is out next week.

Posted:   Oct 20, 2009 - 11:17 AM   

"The Solid Gold Web" was an intense, interestingly-directed episode (by M:I vet Sutton Roley) and I loved every minute of it. Sally Kellerman has been following me around this week, first I see her on Five-O ("The Big Kahuna"), then as a ingenue on Cheyenne, and today on Mannix. I hope she's okay! wink

BTW, who composed the music for "The Solid Gold Web"? There's no credit other than Schifrin for the theme. Interesting sounds when Diana (Kellerman) is on the oceanside cliff and Joe is searching for her. Reminds me of the dream sequence in The Conversation!

This is stock music. The cliff scene you described uses the following score: "Edge of the Knife" by George Duning who follows the path of one of his sentimental "Star Trek" score.
During the prologue, Kellerman runs down stuntman Charles Picerni as Johnny who appears three times during MISSION S6: "Encore", "The Miracle" and "Trapped"!

PS: The plot of "Edge of the Knife" (the kidnapped daughter of a surgeon) will be recycled in HFO's season 3: "And a Time to Die"!
Aloha!

Posted:   Oct 20, 2009 - 3:36 PM   

This is stock music. The cliff scene you described uses the following score: "Edge of the Knife" by George Duning who follows the path of one of his sentimental "Star Trek" score.

Ah, no wonder I liked it. In a previous post, I was raving about that episode and score, too.