Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Sep 17, 2013 - 3:07 PM   
 By:   haineshisway   (Member)

Nice, looking forward to checking out this one big grin

I can only tell you that I played the original CD once. I really kind of like the film and liked the way the music worked. So, at some point I asked if we could check to see if there was more than on the original CD - and boy did we strike pay dirt. Hearing the score the way Mr. Takemitsu actually wrote it was a revelation and a half. Nick and I both become completely addicted to it. As I say in the notes, it's like a neo-noir fever dream of clashing American and Japanese cultures. Mr. Takemitsu gives us a kind of Chinatown through Japanese and his own unique sensibilities. It's unique, and a complete one-off.

Posted:   Sep 17, 2013 - 3:08 PM   
 By:   captain_avis   (Member)

*deleted*

How come?

I posted a link to the box office grosses of movies from the 90s still trying to work out clues for the release, but in the mean time you'd indicated that a correct guess was made, hence my post was outdated.

I'm totally unfamiliar with this score and the composer, so I look forward to hearing your samples on Monday. I'm curious, you referred to a shocking lack of an Oscar Nomination in one of the composers scores... which one was that?

Chris.

Posted:   Sep 17, 2013 - 3:08 PM   
 By:   Eugene Iemola   (Member)

Very good, Bruce. I knew there had to be a decent release of this someday. Wait 'til the word gets out.

Posted:   Sep 17, 2013 - 3:15 PM   

*deleted*

How come?

I posted a link to the box office grosses of movies from the 90s still trying to work out clues for the release, but in the mean time you'd indicated that a correct guess was made, hence my post was outdated.

I'm totally unfamiliar with this score and the composer, so I look forward to hearing your samples on Monday. I'm curious, you referred to a shocking lack of an Oscar Nomination in one of the composers scores... which one was that?

Chris.

His brilliant score to Kurosawa's Ran. What an omission that was.

Posted:   Sep 17, 2013 - 3:20 PM   

Very good, Bruce. I knew there had to be a decent release of this someday. Wait 'til the word gets out.

Nick and I both felt the score's mediocre reputation had everything to do with that first CD release and the way the music is chopped up in the film (although it's still effective) and we wanted to do something about it. Takemitsu was a bit of a genius and this score is really wonderful - symphonic, with a bit of traditional Japanese instruments (never overdone or stupid) and great use of the Ondes Martinot and some wonderful saxophone work. It's just this wonderful neo-noir fusion of US and Japan musical cultures, just as it should be for a film about US and Japanese clashing cultures.

Posted:   Sep 17, 2013 - 3:29 PM   
 By:   JohnnyG   (Member)

*deleted*

How come?

Chris.

Yes, it was. But we're talking about a strong year, Bruce, the year of "Out of Africa" and "Silverado" and "Agnes of God". OK, I guess "Witness" or "The Color Purple" could be left out...

Anyway, it doesn't really matter. I'm gonna buy this! Takemitsu was really great. His music for Kurosawa's "Dodes'kaden" is one of the loveliest I've ever heard in films!

Posted:   Sep 17, 2013 - 3:33 PM   

*deleted*

How come?

Chris.

Yes, it was. But we're talking about a strong year, Bruce, the year of "Out of Africa" and "Silverado" and "Agnes of God". OK, I guess "Witness" or "The Color Purple" could be left out...

Anyway, it doesn't really matter. I'm gonna buy this! Takemitsu was really great. His music for Kurosawa's "Dodes'kaden" is one of the loveliest I've ever heard in films!

I certainly would have given Ran a nod over The Color Purple, with it's fifteen or twenty composers.

I love his Dodes'kaden score - just brilliant, but I love everything I've ever heard by him - it is a complete treat to have him on Kritzerland - his only US film scoring assignment.

Posted:   Sep 17, 2013 - 3:58 PM   
 By:   Grecchus   (Member)

I'm curious, Bruce. The Yakuza was a blind buy some way back. Haven't looked back. Is this something similar? I don't mean a Grusin lookalike, but an equivalent form from the other side of the coin.

Posted:   Sep 17, 2013 - 4:11 PM   

I'm curious, Bruce. The Yakuza was a blind buy some way back. Haven't looked back. Is this something similar? I don't mean a Grusin lookalike, but an equivalent form from the other side of the coin.

It's hard to describe - best to listen to the samples when we post on Monday morning. It's kind of sax noirish but suffused with a Japanese sensibility - very moody, sometimes Herrmannesque. I don't remember The Yakuza - now might be a good time to listen again smile

Posted:   Sep 17, 2013 - 4:15 PM   
 By:   bagby   (Member)

*deleted*

How come?

Chris.

I certainly would have given Ran a nod over The Color Purple, with it's fifteen or twenty composers.

I love his Dodes'kaden score - just brilliant, but I love everything I've ever heard by him - it is a complete treat to have him on Kritzerland - his only US film scoring assignment.

To each his own. I'd have kept Color Purple and kicked out the synth nonsense (except for one cue) of Jarre's Witness. 'Building the Barn' for orchestra is great. Synth, not so much, and the rest of the score is 'meh' to me. But then I'm that way with almost all things Jarre.

Posted:   Sep 17, 2013 - 4:15 PM   
 By:   Grecchus   (Member)

It's hard to describe - best to listen to the samples when we post on Monday morning. It's kind of sax noirish but suffused with a Japanese sensibility - very moody, sometimes Herrmannesque. I don't remember The Yakuza - now might be a good time to listen again smile

Thanks, Bruce. Not necessarily sounding like Yakuza, but 'impressing' in a similar way is what was on my mind. Just love that buzz of suspense . . . smile

Posted:   Sep 17, 2013 - 7:54 PM   
 By:   Josh   (Member)

Wow! Rising Sun. Awesome. Great pick, BK. I'm there.

Posted:   Sep 17, 2013 - 8:02 PM   
 By:   crogrr   (Member)

I'm not sure if I have the original Rising Sun CD - I must go upstairs and re-check my library (yeah, sorry - I have WAY too many CD's!.....and LP's). But - to get back on Topic - I got Pleasure/Company today and the sound is just stunning - truly vintage Newman for this type of film. Newman fans - don't miss this!!!!

Posted:   Sep 17, 2013 - 8:44 PM   

I'm not sure if I have the original Rising Sun CD - I must go upstairs and re-check my library (yeah, sorry - I have WAY too many CD's!.....and LP's). But - to get back on Topic - I got Pleasure/Company today and the sound is just stunning - truly vintage Newman for this type of film. Newman fans - don't miss this!!!!

Wow, that was FAST!

Posted:   Sep 17, 2013 - 8:54 PM   
 By:   La La Land Records   (Member)

Seconded! smile

Great score. Good book. Crappy film. Snipes was miscast. Connery, on the other hand, WAS Capt Connor. Read Crichton's description of him in the book and you can hear Connery's voice when he speaks! lol

If you think RAN is great take a listen to Takemitsu's BLACK RAIN (the Japanese film, not the Scott/Zimmer one). I know Zack Tow at Howlin Wolf Records will be as happy as I am with this release.

If you like Japanese scores (not counting Hisashi) this is a must buy -- especially double the length! Can't wait to hear it.

MV

Posted:   Sep 17, 2013 - 9:25 PM   

Seconded! smile

Great score. Good book. Crappy film. Snipes was miscast. Connery, on the other hand, WAS Capt Connor. Read Crichton's description of him in the book and you can hear Connery's voice when he speaks! lol

If you think RAN is great take a listen to Takemitsu's BLACK RAIN (the Japanese film, not the Scott/Zimmer one). I know Zack Tow at Howlin Wolf Records will be as happy as I am with this release.

If you like Japanese scores (not counting Hisashi) this is a must buy -- especially double the length! Can't wait to hear it.

MV

Black Rain is great as is The Face of Another. There are several great Takemitsu compilations on CD, all highly recommended.

Posted:   Sep 17, 2013 - 9:47 PM   
 By:   Sirusjr   (Member)

Why not counting Hisaishi? wink

Posted:   Sep 18, 2013 - 3:03 PM   
 By:   Sirusjr   (Member)

My CD of Pleasure of His Company just arrived today!

Sound quality is superb. Still haven't gotten to the extras yet wink

EDIT: Yeah, the main score is fantastic. I like a few of the extras but the last few waltz tracks are a bit much for me.

Posted:   Sep 18, 2013 - 5:01 PM   
 By:   manderley   (Member)

PLEASURE arrived on my doorstep yesterday afternoon and I listened to it several times last night! Of course, I've been waiting for this for 50+ years, so I've been somewhat anxious! smile

Newman's romantic melodies are lovely and his integration of the Paramount source tunes---"Lover," "Personality," "Champagne Waltz" and others is just perfect---obviously what is needed in the wedding reception sequences. One of the memorable stand-out themes for me was always the jaunty, Astaire-"Pogo Poole" melody, which always reminded me of the Tom Ewell "jaunty" melody he whistles in SEVEN YEAR ITCH, which had been derived (by Newman?) from a song featured in a 1930s TCF musical.

The orchestrations and the orchestra performance are quite good, too, and though it doesn't appear that Edward Powell moved over from Fox to do this, there were several other Fox orchestrator names I recognized.

I'm thrilled to have this musical remembrance of Newman's talent, and of the delightful, witty and elegant film the music accompanies.

Thanks, Bruce!

(And thanks for the Preminger set, too, which I've listened to a number of times already. Though I've seen the films, these "forgotten" scores are a wonderful discovery. "Directors Sets" would be an excellent series to consider. The Alice Faye/Dick Haymes recordings on the FALLEN ANGEL tracks also make me long for more musical releases from Kritzerland. I still hope those are being considered as well.)

Posted:   Sep 18, 2013 - 5:24 PM   

My CD of Pleasure of His Company just arrived today!

Sound quality is superb. Still haven't gotten to the extras yet wink

EDIT: Yeah, the main score is fantastic. I like a few of the extras but the last few waltz tracks are a bit much for me.

Which is why they're in the bonus section rather than the film program smile