Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Jan 17, 2014 - 8:01 PM   
 By:   RM Eastman   (Member)

Yeah, that's nice and all, but this is so generic, it could really be anybody. It's nice to see his name on the poster, I guess.

Very disappointing, quite sad, what has become of Patrick Doyle?

Posted:   Jan 17, 2014 - 8:53 PM   
 By:   DeputyRiley   (Member)

Now it's just another pulsing suspense variation of the BOURNE films.

I would love to hear Doyle's take on contemporary Bourne-type thriller/action music!

Posted:   Jan 18, 2014 - 6:33 AM   
 By:   Maleficio   (Member)

Very disappointing, quite sad, what has become of Patrick Doyle?

What's so sad?

Doyle has to adapt to the modern film scoring environment, hated it may be, to stay employed.

Posted:   Jan 18, 2014 - 10:00 AM   
 By:   Khan   (Member)

Kind of a disappointment. Skimming through, trying to find a trace of the same guy who used to pile on (often to the point of criticism!) the dramatics. Now it's just another pulsing suspense variation of the BOURNE films.

To be honest, it's better music (certainly better composed) of this type than what you'd normally get out of, say, a RC composer or someone similar.

Posted:   Jan 18, 2014 - 10:41 AM   
 By:   ddddeeee   (Member)

It's worth the purchase for 'Faith of Our Fathers' and 'Ryan, Mr President' alone. Some nice quieter cues along the way too. Some of the rhythms and grooves can be a bit anonymous but Doyle's voice does creep in now and again.

Posted:   Jan 18, 2014 - 7:33 PM   
 By:   ryankeaveney   (Member)

Now it's just another pulsing suspense variation of the BOURNE films.

I would love to hear Doyle's take on contemporary Bourne-type thriller/action music!

Then this score is for you!

Posted:   Jan 18, 2014 - 7:58 PM   
 By:   Ado   (Member)

Saw the movie Friday, I think that the movie is pretty good, some real tension and good action.
The score is very good in service of the picture, some pretty good, the action stuff is pretty generic sounding, perhaps a step above RC house blend. This is not something that I would buy and listen to, it is just not tuneful or thematic enough for me.

Posted:   Jan 19, 2014 - 11:14 AM   
 By:   Kev McGann   (Member)

I know the R/C charges got thrown at Doyle for his scores to Thor and Rise/Planet/Apes, but I found them to be very enjoyable, of themselves and in comparison to the many other programmed styled scores out there. Yes, they were stripped down/streamlined Doyle, but his voice could still be heard, if you listened intently enough.
I heard the two pieces at the Doyle concert in December and they sounded pretty good (the last cue reminded me of 90's Goldsmith), so I will treat this score with an open mind.
My decision to buy the CD will depend on what I hear while watching the film, which is about 90% the way I treat new scores now. The other 10% is reserved for new stuff by John Williams, James Horner and Danny Elfman (and a few others, if they bag a new score), which I will buy cos I trust them.

Posted:   Jan 23, 2014 - 11:16 PM   
 By:   WillGoldNewtonBarryGrusin   (Member)

Couldn´t resist and downloaded it from iTunes.

Although it is clearly molded from the current sound imperative, Doyle again manages to make it his own.

Have to listen to it again - but my initial disappointment (based on those dreaded and awful sounding amazon samples) is gone.

This is interesting music. And Doyle remains a fantastic composer, able to survive in this climate.

Posted:   Jan 24, 2014 - 7:44 AM   
 By:   voiced   (Member)

Good to hear some positivity about the music.

Here's a link to a photo album from the London recording sessions:

https://www.facebook.com/timburdenvoiceovers/media_set?set=a.10152143244212229.1073741833.812852228&type=1

Plus a video with interview soundbites and a photo montage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouMlnv8EpXM

The current issue of FSM Online has lots of exclusive video footage and interviews by the way.

Have a good weekend! Tim

Posted:   Jan 24, 2014 - 3:58 PM   
 By:   ddddeeee   (Member)

Just back from the movie, thought it was good fun.

Jack's alarm thing in his room in Moscow is a sort of jingle take on Doyle's theme.

Posted:   Jan 25, 2014 - 6:01 AM   
 By:   WillGoldNewtonBarryGrusin   (Member)

I´m really loving this score. It is juggling the contemporary elements with so much restraint, beautifully creating suspense. And still Doyle does not lose his gift for melodies.

Listen to a cue like "The Activation" - so tender and subtle, it would have been cranked up to the max by other composers. Doyle steps back, does not hit the viewer/listener over the head.

Yep, I´m a fan.

Posted:   Jan 25, 2014 - 8:36 AM   
 By:   JamesSouthall   (Member)

My review, for anyone who's bothered:

http://www.movie-wave.net/jack-ryan-shadow-recruit/

Posted:   Jan 25, 2014 - 9:12 AM   
 By:   Maleficio   (Member)

My review, for anyone who's bothered:

http://www.movie-wave.net/jack-ryan-shadow-recruit/

Greatly enjoy your reviews, keep them coming!

Posted:   Jan 25, 2014 - 12:29 PM   
 By:   David (Giacchino-fan)   (Member)

Greatly enjoy your reviews, keep them coming!

I echo the sentiment. I gain a good insight into scores that interest me with your details reviews. Thanks!

Posted:   Feb 1, 2014 - 11:19 AM   
 By:   Luc Van der Eeken   (Member)

Received the score thursday, saw the movie this afternoon. It's a decent action-thriller, well made and well acted. The score...? I'm on my fifth listen and I think it's a huge, huge dissapointment apart from a powerful Russian hymn. I ended up liking 'Thor' and 'Rise Of the Planet of the Apes' because there were still enough Doyle trademarks and his style managed to get through. But this is some of the most generic scoring I've heard in a long while...even for RC standards. And I'm saying this as a huge Doyle fan. Supposedly, the music is performed by the London Symphony but you couldn't tell. I don't mind electronics but it's all so boring. I can only hope we get the 'old' Doyle back for Cinderella but this is without a doubt (for me anyway) one of the biggest dissapointments of 2014. I'm gonna give it another go tomorrow because I desperately wanna like it but chances are slim...

Posted:   Feb 6, 2014 - 4:28 PM   
 By:   Bob DiMucci   (Member)

Saw JACK RYAN today. It's a contemporary action film. Everyone knows what that means. If you want specifics, it has a bit more soul than last year's similarly-Russian-set A GOOD DAY TO DIE HARD, and fewer explosions, but less (attempted) wit. Not as much style as the last MISSION; IMPOSSIBLE--not as much bone-crunching action as the last BOURNE. Doesn't really distinguish itself at all. And neither does the score. Take the scores from RYAN, and the last DIE HARD, MISSION:IMPOSSIBLE, and BOURNE films, categorize all the cues by type (establishing shot, chase scene, tender interlude, suspense scene, fight scene, etc.), then select a cue at random for the necessary scene. Would any of these films suffer greatly? I think not.

Posted:   Feb 18, 2014 - 2:02 AM   
 By:   Kev McGann   (Member)

I pretty much hated everything about this film.
I wouldn't say I've been a huge fan of the previous Ryan films, but I remember liking them (and their scores) more or less.
This one just rubbed me up the wrong way in every way.
I've never been partial to Keira Knightleys simpering chinny pouting acting? style, so she got on my nerves from the off.
Costner! I don't remember his facial expression or delivery changing during any of the scenes he was in. Richard Gere must have been busy.
I liked Pine in the first Star Trek reboot but he seems to have had a charisma bypass since then.
The less said about Branagh and his Russian bad guy role the better, I think.
The plot seemed to take all the boring, exposition bits from the Mission Impossible and Bourne films, jettison the fun and excitement and leave it there. And I was incredulous by the end at the unbelievable contrivances we were expected to swallow.
And the score!!! I have heard the CD so I know there are some okay cues on there, but you wouldn't know it from the film. The Russian choir cue is barely there and we get 20 seconds of the Ryan Mr President track before it's dialled out for more incessant thump thump thump.
The only thing I did enjoy was seeing my fair city of Liverpool being used to double for Moscow at night during the car chase sequence. Very cool.
Otherwise, a misfire on all counts for me.

Posted:   Feb 18, 2014 - 5:01 AM   
 By:   Spymaster   (Member)

I've never been partial to Keira Knightleys simpering chinny pouting acting

Oy... Words must be had! ;-)

Posted:   Feb 18, 2014 - 5:22 AM   
 By:   Shaun Rutherford   (Member)

I liked Pine in the first Star Trek reboot but he seems to have had a charisma bypass since then.

I've noticed this as well. He's great in Star Trek (2009), but he's been curiously terrible in everything else since.