Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Oct 16, 2013 - 10:58 AM   
 By:   David Sones (Allardyce)   (Member)

Dolores Claiborne
Batman

Posted:   Oct 16, 2013 - 11:19 AM   
 By:   betenoir   (Member)

Bridget Fonda!

Oops, I see you meant music . . .

Posted:   Oct 16, 2013 - 1:32 PM   
 By:   JohnnyG   (Member)

I can't believe there are so few votes for NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS!...

It's the only Elfman score that I've ever gone crazy about! Watching Burton's striking visual creation with Elfman's Weill-esque music was and still is one of the top cinematic experiences of my life!

(Very honorable mentions:
- Black Beauty
- Dolores Claiborne)

Posted:   Oct 16, 2013 - 1:48 PM   
 By:   crocodile   (Member)

Oh dear, so many scores of his are great. BATMAN RETURNS, STANDARD OPERATING PROECDURE, SOMMERSBY, THE WOLFMAN. But if I was to pick one, I'd go with MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE. Now this is a devilishly clever thriller music and a very witty take on Shifrin's style. Not to mention Train Time cue and how piles up 4-5 themes on top of each other.

Karol

Posted:   Oct 16, 2013 - 4:36 PM   
 By:   KonstantinosZ   (Member)

I consider BATMAN RETURNS to be Elfman's masterpiece!

after that my favourites are:

Sommersby
The Nightmare before Christmas
Edward Scissorhands
Batman

also I have a thing for The Simpsons theme!

Posted:   Oct 16, 2013 - 5:39 PM   
 By:   Loren   (Member)

Not my top composer but strangely I have an avalanche of his soundtracks. So my favourite are in no particular order Midnight Run, Batman the movie, Beetlejuice, Alice in Wonderland and Planet of the Apes.
On the other hand I have a precise order list for my favourite Nightmare Before Christmas editions: 1) German, 2) Spanish, 3) French, 4) Italian, 5) String Quartet Edition, 6) English.

Posted:   Oct 16, 2013 - 7:22 PM   
 By:   edwzoomom   (Member)

Sommersby, Black Beauty, Edward Scissorhands.

Posted:   Oct 16, 2013 - 7:38 PM   
 By:   Wedge   (Member)

BATMAN RETURNS.

Posted:   Oct 17, 2013 - 12:54 PM   
 By:   Kev McGann   (Member)

Impossible to pick one!
Some of my faves are..

SOMMERSBY
BIG FISH
INSTINCT
EDWARD SCISSORHANDS
ARTICLE 99
REAL STEEL
MILK
THE FAMILY MAN

There's very little by Elfman I don't like.
The guy's a genius to me.

Posted:   Oct 17, 2013 - 12:58 PM   
 By:   nerfTractor   (Member)

DOLORES CLAIBORNE by a mile, and I am someone who deeply loves just about everything Elfman has done.

Posted:   Oct 17, 2013 - 1:35 PM   
 By:   Dr Lenera   (Member)

Edward Scissorhands. We really need the complete score for this one, though the album's great anyway.

Posted:   Oct 17, 2013 - 1:48 PM   
 By:   nz   (Member)

Edward Scissorhands-by far his best.Loved "Dark Shadows",too.

Posted:   Oct 17, 2013 - 1:50 PM   

Edward Scissorhands. We really need the complete score for this one, though the album's great anyway.
AMEN!I've been wanting an expanded deluxe release of it for years.Maybe Intrada,Kritzerland,or La-La-Land will do one someday.

AMEN!I've been wanting an expanded deluxe release of it for years.Maybe Intrada,Kritzerland,or La-La-Land will do one someday.

Posted:   Oct 17, 2013 - 1:51 PM   

Posted:   Oct 17, 2013 - 1:51 PM   

Posted:   Oct 17, 2013 - 2:59 PM   
 By:   Yavar Moradi   (Member)

The Nightmare Before Christmas is his magnum opus, I think (plus he sang in it, too!) but my personal favorite which I can play any time and never tire of is probably Black Beauty. Thanks again LLL for the reissue!

Yavar

Posted:   Oct 18, 2013 - 7:31 AM   
 By:   paulhickling   (Member)

BATMAN - Brilliant new composer to me at the time with wonderful Herrmann-esque touches
BATMAN RETURNS - The opening with the Penguin had me cheering it was so amazing
ALICE IN WONDERLAND - First heard at the RAH, got to me in Leeds, new cd on non-stop
MARS ATTACKS !- A friend told my I'd love that title sequence, and I almost cheered, again!
NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS - Loved title song, rest grew on me over time

And I have a thing for The Flash Theme.

Posted:   Oct 18, 2013 - 9:57 AM   
 By:   Synchrotones   (Member)

Nightmare Before Christmas.
A Civil Action.
Black Beauty.