Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Mar 16, 2012 - 8:07 PM   
 By:   Scott H.   (Member)

Hey guys, please let me know if you like the Babylon 5 Darkness Ascending cover I did.

If so, I'll do the others the same way.

I have another big batch ready. I just want to complete it with a couple of B5 covers.

Posted:   Mar 17, 2012 - 2:04 AM   
 By:   ChristianK├╝hn   (Member)

Hey guys, please let me know if you like the Babylon 5 Darkness Ascending cover I did.

I have another big batch ready. I just want to complete it with a couple of B5 covers.

That would be a "Hell Yeah!"

Thanks, Scott. The quality of your work is phenomenal! smile

Posted:   Mar 17, 2012 - 2:37 AM   
 By:   eggerty31   (Member)

Excellent work on the B5 Cover. I've had a few bashes at doing these in the past but have never been happy with the finished result.

Posted:   Mar 17, 2012 - 3:33 AM   
 By:   Urs Lesse   (Member)

Scott, a great compliment from my part once again.

The fact that I increasingly find myself going to www.albumartexchange.com before trying Google Image Search should be telling. smile

Thank you for your great work!

Urs

Posted:   Mar 17, 2012 - 12:03 PM   
 By:   Sketchkid   (Member)

Scott you've raised the bar yet again! Thanks so much, a lot of these are just great art images on their own. A couple that I don't think I mentioned before that would look fantastic:

Legend (the U.S. version)
Passion of The Christ

Posted:   Mar 17, 2012 - 2:05 PM   

Scott you've raised the bar yet again! Thanks so much, a lot of these are just great art images on their own. A couple that I don't think I mentioned before that would look fantastic:

Legend (the U.S. version)
Passion of The Christ

Thanks, but the last few batches are not my scans.

Working with original digital images depresses me. There's no way in hell I could scan/process a cover and have it look as good.

I don't have Passion of The Christ nor Legend (US version of Goldsmith score).

However, if there is a Varese Sarabande cover released around 2006 you want, let me know. I might have the original file.

My next batch has some really amazing looking artwork. I'll update this thread when I'm ready to post to AAX. I need to finish one more B5 cover (which will take a while) and at least one FSM cover. A batch doesn't feel complete with out at least one (golden age) FSM cover. smile

Posted:   Mar 18, 2012 - 2:37 PM   
 By:   FarTraveler   (Member)

Hi Scott!

Your work remains awesome. Kudos! I greatly appreciated your advice earlier in the thread about your scanning process. Do you have advice on scanners / brands?

I'm using an old CanoScan 8400F and have been looking to upgrade because I fear that the old bulb is going dark. Been wondering about the newer LED based units. The author of VueScan seems to think Epson is pretty good. What do you use? What do you recommend based on your experience?

Posted:   Mar 18, 2012 - 3:52 PM   

Hi Scott!

Your work remains awesome. Kudos! I greatly appreciated your advice earlier in the thread about your scanning process. Do you have advice on scanners / brands?

I'm using an old CanoScan 8400F and have been looking to upgrade because I fear that the old bulb is going dark. Been wondering about the newer LED based units. The author of VueScan seems to think Epson is pretty good. What do you use? What do you recommend based on your experience?

Hiya!

I use an Epson V500 Perfection Office scanner (same as V500 Photo but with a document feeder). It's a LED unit I believe. It's certainly better than my old UMAX Astra 1220 and Epson 636U.

I wish it was sharper and resolve cyan colors better but no scanner (under $1K) is perfect.

The Epson s/w is decent but I prefer VueScan.

Posted:   Mar 18, 2012 - 5:44 PM   
 By:   FarTraveler   (Member)

Wow, thanks, Scott. Okay, one more scanner related question (I swear this relates to doing soundtrack album art): on my old scanner (which is lit by a florescent lamp), the whites are coming out rather gray, even after it8 color adjustment via VueScan. (The blacks are not particularly dark, however). I have to do a lot of S-Curve work on Photoshop in order to get the gamma back to what the cover looks like. Does that sound like my lamp is going on my old scanner? If so, it is proof that I need to upgrade.

I appreciate that no scanner will be perfect, but do you find that you have to do lots of gamma correction on the Epson V500?

Thanks again for your help! And for your AWESOME covers.

Posted:   Mar 18, 2012 - 11:05 PM   

Wow, thanks, Scott. Okay, one more scanner related question (I swear this relates to doing soundtrack album art): on my old scanner (which is lit by a florescent lamp), the whites are coming out rather gray, even after it8 color adjustment via VueScan. (The blacks are not particularly dark, however). I have to do a lot of S-Curve work on Photoshop in order to get the gamma back to what the cover looks like. Does that sound like my lamp is going on my old scanner? If so, it is proof that I need to upgrade.

I appreciate that no scanner will be perfect, but do you find that you have to do lots of gamma correction on the Epson V500?

Thanks again for your help! And for your AWESOME covers.

AFAIK most LED scanners create images on the brighter side.

Even with my calibrated scanner, I typically adjust black levels upwards a bit (in PS I select Adjust Levels, move RGB upper slider from 0 to 26 or if not good, then adjust curves).

Posted:   Mar 18, 2012 - 11:09 PM   

For you B5 cover lovers...

Which do you prefer?

A: cd scanned with normal color adjustment.

B: titles on cd are further adjusted to like more silver-white like the album pictures on Sonic Images website.

Please let me know as I want these covers to have a consistent look.

(I prefer B myself).

Posted:   Mar 19, 2012 - 1:14 AM   

Prefer B

Posted:   Mar 19, 2012 - 7:39 AM   
 By:   Glenn Butler   (Member)

I agree on B. The contrast helps the title & elements of the drawing really pop.

Posted:   Mar 19, 2012 - 11:02 AM   
 By:   ChristianK├╝hn   (Member)

Third on B, Scott. You don't know how satisfying it feels to FINALLY have proper, hi-res artwork for these things...took only 12 years! big grin Thanks again, friend!

Posted:   Mar 19, 2012 - 12:49 PM   

Third on B, Scott. You don't know how satisfying it feels to FINALLY have proper, hi-res artwork for these things...took only 12 years! big grin Thanks again, friend!

If someone can send me decent scans of the tray cards for first 5 releases (Severed Dreams, etc), I could do those too.

And I'm going with scheme B for now on. When I get the chance, I'll redo And The Rock Cried Out and Darkness Ascending.

Posted:   Mar 21, 2012 - 12:21 PM   

I finally completed another batch. I'll post on AAX soon.

In the time it takes to do one B5 cover, I could do 4 FSM covers. I hope you enjoy them. smile

As always, ratings and comments are greatly appreciated.

Posted:   Mar 21, 2012 - 2:17 PM   
 By:   Anyi   (Member)

Scott, any chances to do "square" (600x600, 800x800...) covers for each of the Friday the 13th soundtracks?

Posted:   Mar 21, 2012 - 2:24 PM   

Scott, any chances to do "square" (600x600, 800x800...) covers for each of the Friday the 13th soundtracks?

Not for a long while. I have way too much on my plate.

Posted:   Mar 21, 2012 - 2:59 PM   
 By:   Julian K   (Member)

In the time it takes to do one B5 cover, I could do 4 FSM covers. I hope you enjoy them. smile

Never mind, Scott, there are only - what - fifty or sixty of them to do! wink

Seriously, though, much appreciated, as always.

Posted:   Mar 21, 2012 - 3:03 PM   

Indeed, these are very much appreciated.