Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Sep 15, 2011 - 8:42 PM   
 By:   Lukas Kendall   (Member)

Lukas,

can you offer the Bronisalu Kaoeror the Johnny Mandell box to your faithful customers who already purchased the Raskin seat and plan to Oder $150 worth of cds?

Thanks!

Hi Rob and people with similar questions, please email me, lukas@filmscoremonthly.com

lk

Posted:   Sep 15, 2011 - 8:47 PM   
 By:   Advise & Consent   (Member)

Gone for it:

Big Wednesday (Poledouris)
The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter (Grusin)
Telefon/Hide In Plain Sight (Schifrin/Rosenmen)
The Dark Of The Sun (Loussier)
The Wrath Of God (Schfrin)
Tootsie (Grusin)

All fine choices - expect to be amazed by Dark of the Sun - my favorite in a long list of favorites from FSM.

Posted:   Sep 15, 2011 - 9:06 PM   
 By:   sprocket   (Member)

So I picked out the FSM releases I had really never got round to buying (like ROME ADVENTURE, 7 FACES OF DR LAU, and ROOM 222) and others which I liked the samples of (100 RIFLES and the big surprise HAWKINS ON MURDER - where'd that come from?).

Plus, I threw in THE FIVE MAN ARMY to push me over the top. smile

Thanks, Lukas. We appreciate all your hard work!

Unfortunately, my wallet is now hyperventilating because when I went to pay, in the final checkout step, previously chosen CDs of a deleted order I almost made a couple of days ago magically appeared, wanting to go for the ride, I guess. So I had to buy them, too. roll eyes

Posted:   Sep 15, 2011 - 10:35 PM   
 By:   ZapBrannigan   (Member)

Yesterday I ordered

100 RIFLES
FLIM FLAM MAN / A GIRL NAMED SOONER
ROOM 222 / ACE ELI
WHOSE LIFE IS IT, ANYWAY?

That's a huge order by my standards. The only time I've spent more on a single FSM order was for the Blue Box.

Posted:   Sep 16, 2011 - 12:03 AM   
 By:   Steve Johnson   (Member)

This is SUPREME! Just got a phat bonus check and now Big Daddy's goin' shoppin....

Posted:   Sep 16, 2011 - 12:31 AM   

DONE. just spent 112 samolians.

Posted:   Sep 16, 2011 - 9:21 AM   

DONE. just spent 112 samolians.

So...? Tell us what you bought!

Posted:   Sep 16, 2011 - 9:49 AM   
 By:   Shaun Rutherford   (Member)

Yesterday I ordered

100 RIFLES
ROOM 222 / ACE ELI

That's a huge order by my standards. The only time I've spent more on a single FSM order was for the Blue Box.

Ace Eli was a letdown, mainly because it just sounds like assssss. 100 Rifles and Whose Life are going to blow the barn doors off, but in totally different ways.

Posted:   Sep 16, 2011 - 11:03 AM   
 By:   Gary S.   (Member)

Yesterday I ordered

100 RIFLES
ROOM 222 / ACE ELI

Ace Eli was a letdown, mainly because it just sounds like assssss. 100 Rifles and Whose Life are going to blow the barn doors off, but in totally different ways.

For me the better part of the Room 222/Ace Eli disc is the Room 222 music, but then I watched the show on its original run.

Posted:   Sep 16, 2011 - 2:47 PM   
 By:   jonathan_little   (Member)

100 Rifles was my first FSM purchase and it's still one of my favorite FSM albums.

Posted:   Sep 16, 2011 - 5:38 PM   
 By:   ScottDS   (Member)

Here's what I'm tentatively planning on getting. I welcome any and all opinions...

-633 Squadron/Submarine X-1 (1964/1969) by Ron Goodwin
I've never seen the films but I own Where Eagles Dare which made me a Goodwin fan for life.

-The Bridge at Remagen/The Train (1969/1964) by Elmer Bernstein/Maurice Jarre
I've never seen The Bridge... but I'm a fan of Bernstein, especially when he's in bombastic action mode. On the other hand, I've seen The Train but I've never been much of a Jarrehead. I do, however, enjoy his approach here.

-Coma/Westworld/The Carey Treatment (1978/1973/1972) by Jerry Goldsmith/Roy Budd/Fred Karlin
This one has been on my wish list for a while.

-Ice Station Zebra (1968) by Michel Legrand
I've seen the film but it's been a while. I recall liking the music though I don't own any other Legrand scores.

-Logan’s Run (1976) by Jerry Goldsmith
I haven't seen the film in years but, being a Goldsmith sci-fi guy (yeah, join the club), I suppose this one is required listening. smile (Some of the electronic stuff is a bit of a turn-off for me, though.)

-Mutiny on the Bounty (1962) by Bronislau Kaper
I've never seen the film and I don't own any Kaper but I've read many reviews of Horner's Trek scores that mention this as an inspiration. I suppose I can't go wrong then?

-The Taking of Pelham One Two Three (1974) by David Shire
I love the film and this one has also been on my wish list for a while.

Posted:   Sep 16, 2011 - 5:51 PM   

I kept clicking on the ACE samples over and over, and found myself saying "I want ROOM 222 but ACE ELI is talking me out of it!" I ended up getting it anyway, along with the other three. smile

Posted:   Sep 16, 2011 - 7:03 PM   
 By:   Basil Wrathbone   (Member)

can you offer the Bronisalu Kaoeror the Johnny Mandell box to your faithful customers who already purchased the Raskin seat and plan to Oder $150 worth of cds?

I have all but five or six of all the titles FSM has produced, bought at full price.
Watching all this is like a scene from A Tale of Two Cities or Marie Antoinette, with revolutionaries opening the doors to the prized treasures of Versailles, and allowing the rabble to pillage the art for 5 francs a time.

Posted:   Sep 16, 2011 - 7:12 PM   
 By:   Anthony Marose   (Member)

I have all but five or six of all the titles FSM has produced, bought at full price.
Watching all this is like a scene from A Tale of Two Cities or Marie Antoinette, with revolutionaries opening the doors to the prized treasures of Versaille, and allowing the rabble to pillage the art for 5 francs a time.

Boo hoo. Lukas needs his money.

Posted:   Sep 16, 2011 - 7:39 PM   

You mean you thought the music sounded like the air out of one? That's the only sound I can associate with "sounds like assssss.

Posted:   Sep 16, 2011 - 9:43 PM   
 By:   Basil Wrathbone   (Member)

Thanks to people who didn't buy his wonderful releases when they were released, or even within years of them being made available, he's making less money now than he should have done.

SAE should have maintained a Database of every customer who has purchased FSM CDs from them. At a click of a mouse they could have collated all the customers who bought 100 titles, 50 titles, 200 titles or 10 titles. They could also have coded categories of purchases and identified who was buying, for example, Golden Age or exclusively 80s and 90s stuff, or whatever. Custom promotions could then have been e-mailed to specific groups, instead of mass fire sales. There's no point bemoaning a dozen sales of the Raksin set in 2011 when nothing whatsoever was done to promote it during that time and it sat there forgotten and gathering dust. With a simply-maintained database they could have instantly identified hundreds of customers who have bought FSM Golden Age CDs but did not order the Raksin. A custom e-mailed promotion could have been sent out to them and interest in the title boosted.
Instead, I got an e-mail from SAE today telling me The Space Children was available, a day after it had already arrived in my mail box!

Posted:   Sep 16, 2011 - 9:52 PM   

Thanks to people who didn't buy his wonderful releases when they were released, or even within years of them being made available, he's making less money now than he should have done.

SAE should have maintained a Database of every customer who has purchased FSM CDs from them. At a click of a mouse they could have collated all the customers who bought 100 titles, 50 titles, 200 titles or 10 titles. They could also have identified by purchases who was buying, for example, Golden Age or exclusively 80s and 90s stuff, or whatever. Custom promotions could then have been e-mailed to specific groups, instead of mass fire sales. There's no point bemoaning a dozen sales of the Raksin set in 2011 when nothing whatsoever was done to promote it during that time and it sat there forgotten and gathering dust. With a simply-maintained database they could have instantly identified hundreds of customers who have bought FSM Golden Age CDs but did not order the Raksin. A custom e-mailed promotion could have been sent out to them and interest in the title boosted.
Instead, I got an e-mail from SAE today telling me The Space Children was available, a day after it had already arrived in my mail box!

A database? Are you mad, sir? Or just full o' poop...

Posted:   Sep 16, 2011 - 10:04 PM   
 By:   Lukas Kendall   (Member)

Please don't argue on our account...it's been a great run, and it's not quite over. The Raksin promotion is going well. I do wish we had been able to invest in better and more targeted marketing strategies, but they aren't free!

Lukas

Posted:   Sep 17, 2011 - 1:39 AM   

Please don't argue on our account...it's been a great run, and it's not quite over.

It's absolutely not over. Your legacy will live on until the last CD player wears out, the last hard drive crashes, and the last iPod has been left on the bus.

Posted:   Sep 17, 2011 - 6:02 AM   
 By:   ScottDS   (Member)

Please don't argue on our account...it's been a great run, and it's not quite over.

It's absolutely not over. Your legacy will live on until the last CD player wears out, the last hard drive crashes, and the last iPod has been left on the bus.

I see a new TV special... Life After People: The FSM Edition. smile