Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Sep 10, 2012 - 4:56 AM   
 By:   Jehannum   (Member)

Very reasonable price. It's almost exactly the same cost as a gas boiler fitting assessment at my training centre, so the next one I do I'll tell him "look what you just bought me!"

Posted:   Sep 10, 2012 - 6:05 AM   
 By:   Last Child   (Member)

$224.98 = 1 rabbit fur fedora from Orvis

or phrased another way (and I think this sums it up for some of us):

One Rabbit fur fedora....$224.98.
17 hours of original TREK music...priceless.

Posted:   Sep 10, 2012 - 7:31 PM   
 By:   johnjohnson   (Member)

post deleted.

Posted:   Sep 10, 2012 - 7:32 PM   
 By:   johnjohnson   (Member)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=UA34dfODi4M#!

Posted:   Sep 10, 2012 - 8:36 PM   
 By:   Sigerson Holmes   (Member)

$224.98 = 1 rabbit fur fedora from Orvis

Oh! My paws and whiskers!

Posted:   Sep 11, 2012 - 3:06 AM   
 By:   PLD   (Member)

Very reasonable price. It's almost exactly the same cost as a gas boiler fitting assessment at my training centre, so the next one I do I'll tell him "look what you just bought me!"

Will 6000 customers think that ?

Posted:   Sep 11, 2012 - 6:24 AM   
 By:   Jehannum   (Member)

Will 6000 customers think that ?

I don't know, I just have to get in reply #666.

Posted:   Sep 11, 2012 - 11:00 AM   
 By:   Superman1701   (Member)

Thats a DAMN GOOD price for all that music in an AWESOME looking box!!! There is NOTHING to complain about when literally everything for the show is included in this set. MV and Matt and co have outdone themselves and this is an accomplishment that deserves support...NOT criticism. That being said I'll be picking up more then one copy. I'm a Trekkie like that. wink

Posted:   Sep 11, 2012 - 11:07 AM   
 By:   Nicholas_DW   (Member)

Another voice of reason makes itself heard. My sentiments exactly.

Posted:   Sep 11, 2012 - 11:36 AM   
 By:   bdm   (Member)

Considering what some thought this set would cost initially (check the guesses early in this thread, before Jeff stated the $200 neighborhood in his post) the $225 (less actually) is really fair.

I may have missed what those who are unhappy with this price thought the set would sell for, but the price stated seems reasonable, and within the ball park when compared to other sets of similar number of discs, to me. I would have liked it to cost less, but I guessed (prior to Jeff's post) a cost of $250 - 300, so I'm not going to complain, just buy and enjoy it.

Posted:   Sep 11, 2012 - 1:53 PM   
 By:   sr-miller   (Member)

Is it cheap? - No.
Is it worth the price? - Each person will have to provide their own answer.
Is it a fair price? - Yes. I've been paying $15-$17 a CD since 1984. CD prices have been pretty stable for YEARS. The exceptions are heavily discounted items that aren't moving or re-re-re-releases that have already made their money back.

Posted:   Sep 11, 2012 - 2:15 PM   

There is NOTHING to complain about when literally everything for the show is included in this set.

I'm saving my criticisms for after I get the box (ie if cues are missing or sound bad).

I doubt this will be available, but it would be incredibly helpful if they created a cross index for episodes and tracks, so one could re-arrange cues to conform with a given episode. Episodes with little or no new cues like "City on the Edge" or "Galileo 7" are mostly tracked, and wont appear in their entirety in the box, but I'd still like to hear the entire episode music.

Posted:   Sep 11, 2012 - 2:40 PM   
 By:   Traveling Matt   (Member)

I doubt this will be available, but it would be incredibly helpful if they created a cross index for episodes and tracks, so one could re-arrange cues to conform with a given episode.

That probably won't happen, but I would expect some sort of annotation for the recycled cues (tracked or library) and the episodes in which they appear. I imagine that's one of Mr. Bond's priorities for the booklet.

Posted:   Sep 11, 2012 - 2:52 PM   
 By:   FalkirkBairn   (Member)

There are a number of cue sheet examples for selected episodes listed in Jeff Bond's "Music of Star Trek" book. Maybe this has been done for all the episodes and could be made available.

But, considering the episode "The Alternative Factor" has around 70 cues listed and some being as short as 5 or 6 seconds in length, it would be a major task for anyone to reconstruct the scores as heard in the episodes.

Posted:   Sep 11, 2012 - 4:58 PM   

But, considering the episode "The Alternative Factor" has around 70 cues listed and some being as short as 5 or 6 seconds in length...

which reminds me, even a heavily tracked episode like that had some old cues that seemed to run on a few seconds longer than I've heard previously; I hope those versions are included somewhere.

...it would be a major task for anyone to reconstruct the scores as heard in the episodes.

yes, it would be a nightmare. Still, I think "City on the Edge" would be worth it, and I think the tracklist is relatively short. Ideally, the indexing would be part of a computer program that would rip the cd tracks accordingly. I'm sure Jeff Bond wouldnt mind doing it old school, using punch cards for the program.

Posted:   Sep 11, 2012 - 6:35 PM   
 By:   Jeff Bond   (Member)

There are pdfs of all the cue sheets; they won't be part of the package but it would be cool if we could get them online someday. I'm not sure if there's an issue with that or not. But the cue sheets are not ALWAYS accurate or comprehensive. But they are...fascinating. smile

Posted:   Sep 11, 2012 - 8:21 PM   
 By:   CindyLover   (Member)

I doubt this will be available, but it would be incredibly helpful if they created a cross index for episodes and tracks, so one could re-arrange cues to conform with a given episode.

At this rate someone's going to ask for pictures of the scoring sessions...

Posted:   Sep 11, 2012 - 9:03 PM   
 By:   Joe Sikoryak   (Member)

At this rate someone's going to ask for pictures of the scoring sessions...

I already have. So far, no dice.

Posted:   Sep 11, 2012 - 9:29 PM   
 By:   OneBuckFilms   (Member)

Would have been nice to have scoring stage pics, but understanding they might not be found or exist.

On the plus side, this is going to make for an incredible archive for the home.

Posted:   Sep 11, 2012 - 9:32 PM   
 By:   Sigerson Holmes   (Member)

To tide myself over between the Spielberg "Lincoln" teaser trailer for the full-length trailer, and the full-length trailer itself (which is being revealed later this week), I watched "The Savage Curtain" yesterday. In my faulty memory I somehow mis-remembered that the "taped" music played upon Lincoln's arrival in the transporter room was the traditional "Hail to the Chief," but it wasn't!

What was that music? Was it a library cue, or composed just for Star Trek? Is it in the box?