Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Sep 24, 2013 - 9:33 PM   
 By:   haineshisway   (Member)

I didn't think this would be for me, but the clips changed that. Looking forward to it arriving.

The guessing usually begins when the current title starts shipping. So some clews please!
I think you said the next one is already pressed and ready to go, didn't you?

I did indeed. It's a little early for clews, but guess away!

Posted:   Sep 24, 2013 - 10:03 PM   
 By:   Basil Wrathbone   (Member)

It's a little early for clews, but guess away!

OK... I'll get the ball rolling with... a 60s title... by a composer who has previously featured on Kritzerland... and is dead.

Posted:   Sep 24, 2013 - 10:12 PM   

It's a little early for clews, but guess away!

OK... I'll get the ball rolling with... a 60s title... by a composer who has previously featured on Kritzerland... and is dead.

Perfect guesses - none right, but perfect nonetheless smile

Posted:   Sep 24, 2013 - 10:15 PM   
 By:   Lokutus   (Member)

OK then... smile

living composer, new to Kritzerland and perhaps something from the 70s? smile

Posted:   Sep 24, 2013 - 10:27 PM   
 By:   PFK   (Member)

From the 50s?

Posted:   Sep 24, 2013 - 10:39 PM   

Well, I can't retire for the night without registering some small success. So I'll venture...

A thriller.... that has had a previous CD release... by an American composer.

Posted:   Sep 24, 2013 - 10:55 PM   

Well, I can't retire for the night without registering some small success. So I'll venture...

A thriller.... that has had a previous CD release... by an American composer.

I'm not sure it would be categorized as a thriller, but who knows. I can't answer some of these questions posed by you and others because it's complicated. American is correct. The problem with clews is as soon as I give one or two real details it will probably be guessed quickly.

Posted:   Sep 25, 2013 - 12:23 AM   

Posted:   Sep 25, 2013 - 1:08 AM   
 By:   billyearle   (Member)

I hope this doesn't sell out too quick. Waiting for a few more "must have" new releases to show up so I can save on shipping to Japan (and I'm close to bankrupt). In addition to that very good six cd Takemitsu filmscore set someone mentioned, I got those massive "Complete Takemitsu" box sets that came out in Japan a few years back. I was hoping I wouldn't have to buy anymore of his soundtracks after that hefty investment, but it seems the box set doesn't include that much more (if any) score than the album did (at least it got rid of the interrupting source cues). I'm not quite a completist, but my gut is telling me the extra material on this new CD will signifigantly enhance the listening experience, thinking of the 2CD Ran vs the LP.

Posted:   Sep 25, 2013 - 5:08 AM   
 By:   Josh "Swashbuckler" Gizelt   (Member)

DP

Posted:   Sep 25, 2013 - 5:09 AM   
 By:   Josh "Swashbuckler" Gizelt   (Member)

I only saw this film once, as while it wasn't howlingly bad, it also wasn't all that great either. My biggest problem with it is that everything it did well, I feel I'd seen done better in other movies. I did remember finding the score arresting in the film, but I wasn't taken with it on the album. I do like Takemitsu, I am really enjoying the samples, though, and the noir flavor is right up my alley, so this one is going into the shopping cart.

Posted:   Sep 25, 2013 - 5:22 AM   
 By:   Peter Greenhill   (Member)

I've just cancelled my SAE order for 'White Dawn' and 'True Grit' and resubmitted with the addition of 'Rising Sun'!.

Interesting that many of the people who are listening to the samples are finding them better than expected and ordering.

Posted:   Sep 25, 2013 - 6:23 AM   
 By:   Ado   (Member)

Shipping this morning. Given the decade of the film, it's a little shocking that there aren't more comments, but what do I know? I see a lot of releases that are, how shall I put it, not of this quality from this era and those get tons of comments. I guess this maybe isn't a film people who came of age in that era actually saw? Odd, since they seem to have seen every single other film made in the decades of the 80s and 90s.

Well, hopefully there will be more discussion once the CDs reach people.

This is not the kinda of film that people in high school or college were watching in 1993, at least seems so to me. I think that comprises about half of us here, yeah I know - wild guess on our demographics on FSM and I know that there are plenty of old guys here too, and a few women, but apparently not many.

In any case, it seemed to me unless you were a specific fan of Connery or a fan of Philip Kaufman, (gee does Kaufman have 'fans') then you might have seen it if you were like a 'adult' in 1993, as in a serious kinda grown-up person well past college, someone that took a briefcase to work if you were a guy - and wore nice shoes that were shiny polished, and combed your hair slicked back, and drove a Ford Crown Vic, or a Cadillac to work at - your , real estate office or your accounting firm. The youngsters were watching Jurassic Park repeatedly, True Romance or Groundhog Day.

Posted:   Sep 25, 2013 - 10:19 AM   

Nope. smile

Or are you asking what "period" the film is from?

Posted:   Sep 25, 2013 - 10:28 AM   

Nope. smile

Well, if that's what it was, I'd definitely dance a jig! Especially if it also had a comma and a colon in the bonus section.

Posted:   Sep 25, 2013 - 10:31 AM   

Nope. smile

Well, if that's what it was, I'd definitely dance a jig! Especially if it also had a comma and a colon in the bonus section.

I would do any soundtrack with a colon. This one doesn't have a colon, however, although I tried to insert one but was caught.

I can say this: A two-CD set for a one-CD price.

Posted:   Sep 25, 2013 - 10:32 AM   
 By:   Ado   (Member)

Nope. smile

In the end Bruce, it does not matter that much if people saw Rising Sun, but yes, I think lots of people did not see it, although $60 million domestic gross was not awful in that day.

I have tons of scores for films that I really dislike, or I have never seen at all.

Psycho 2 is a fine example of a fine score that I would like expanded and given proper treatment (HINT HINT) that is a terrible film that hardly anyone watched.

Posted:   Sep 25, 2013 - 10:36 AM   

Nope. smile

In the end Bruce, it does not matter that much if people saw Rising Sun, but yes, I think lots of people did not see it, although $60 million domestic gross was not awful in that day.

I have tons of scores for films that I really dislike, or I have never seen at all.

Psycho 2 is a fine example of a fine score that I would like expanded and given proper treatment (HINT HINT) that is a terrible film that hardly anyone watched.

Rising Sun spent ten weeks at the top of the box-office chart and its worldwide gross is considerably higher than the 60 million domestic - it was a hit. But I completely understand there are many who don't care for it - I didn't care for it that much back then, but it's kind of aged well and seems better now.

Posted:   Sep 25, 2013 - 10:38 AM   
 By:   PFK   (Member)

Nope. smile

I would do any soundtrack with a colon. This one doesn't have a colon, however, although I tried to insert one but was caught.

From the 50s? 60s?

Posted:   Sep 25, 2013 - 10:39 AM   

Nope. smile

From the 50s? 60s?

Nope, but we have many, many releases coming from those decades.