Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
This is a comments thread about FSM CD: Ben-Hur

Posted:   Feb 16, 2012 - 9:03 AM   
 By:   Moonie   (Member)

While I was reading about the 2000 for Ben-Hur, CNN was playing in the background... and they were talking about the SEVENTEEN MILLION sales (in the USA alone!) of The Bodyguard soundtrack.

Yes people (not me) are buying up Whitney cds like they are going out of style Geesh

Posted:   Feb 16, 2012 - 9:06 AM   

I'm interested by the design choice of a purple strip on the graphics. It doesn't seem to pick up on any colors in the poster artwork and would seem a bit of an odd choice, but the overall effect is splendid.

Lovely Art Work on this release , wonderful , Lukas your the best , well next to Edo at SAE wink

Posted:   Feb 16, 2012 - 9:09 AM   
 By:   Joe Brausam   (Member)

This honestly is some of the most gorgeous artwork I've ever seen for an album release.

Posted:   Feb 16, 2012 - 9:09 AM   
 By:   Senojanaidni   (Member)

Lovely Art Work on this release , wonderful , Lukas your the best , well next to Edo at SAE wink

yes i agree, the art work for this set is very impressive, great job guys ,like it very much.

Posted:   Feb 16, 2012 - 9:10 AM   
 By:   John McMasters   (Member)

It doesn't get any better than this. Thank you ! Immediately ordered.

Posted:   Feb 16, 2012 - 9:12 AM   

When I head about this a week ago I went right to the wife with my biggest please please please face , she said ok , shes the best , love you dear smile

Posted:   Feb 16, 2012 - 9:18 AM   
 By:   SchiffyM   (Member)

While I was reading about the 2000 for Ben-Hur, CNN was playing in the background... and they were talking about the SEVENTEEN MILLION sales (in the USA alone!) of The Bodyguard soundtrack.

Worth keeping in mind before we rant here about "the idiots" who release song soundtracks in lieu of score!

Posted:   Feb 16, 2012 - 9:19 AM   
 By:   Michael Condon   (Member)

Happily ordered! Soundtrack release of the year so far!

Posted:   Feb 16, 2012 - 9:33 AM   
 By:   Morricone   (Member)

I am delighted that Lukas, as his endgame of releases, has picked such a wildly eclectic range of releases as SPACE CHILDREN and BEN-HUR. It was why I really loved the FSM label. Anything was possible.

Ordered.

Posted:   Feb 16, 2012 - 9:45 AM   
 By:   WILLIAMDMCCRUM   (Member)

I'm staggered as to how they found all the previously assumed unrecorded pieces, of which there are quite a few. That must be an epic story in itself.

Very well done, FSM.

Posted:   Feb 16, 2012 - 9:47 AM   
 By:   Ron Pulliam   (Member)

I'm interested by the design choice of a purple strip on the graphics. It doesn't seem to pick up on any colors in the poster artwork and would seem a bit of an odd choice, but the overall effect is splendid.

Purple, of course, was the royal color of the Roman caesars and their families.

Posted:   Feb 16, 2012 - 10:01 AM   
 By:   solium   (Member)

Purple, of course, was the royal color of the Roman caesars and their families.

Maybe my eyes are deceiving me, but I see "purple" in the graphic. Subliminal in the shading and shadows but its there.

Posted:   Feb 16, 2012 - 10:07 AM   
 By:   Tom Guernsey   (Member)

I'd been putting off rooting through my boxes of CDs to find the rather splendid Rhino boxed set so I could import the score to iTunes (a happy memory of buying it at a superb little CD shop in Caen in France which had the odd distinction of stocking every one of Randy Newman's song album and most of his soundtracks as the owner was an American ex-pat who loved Randy Newman). Also, wanted to display it in the growing display area surrounding my Elfman/Burton boxed set. Looks like I'll have another version of a great score to add to the collection. Seem to recall the Rhino version sounded pretty great, but look forward to hearing what about decade and whatever of technological improvement can do. Ordered. Of course.

Posted:   Feb 16, 2012 - 10:22 AM   
 By:   Anthony Marose   (Member)

Lukas, is it possible that if this sells out rapidly, you'll press more than 2,000 - maybe another batch?

Posted:   Feb 16, 2012 - 10:41 AM   
 By:   captain_avis   (Member)

Lukas, is it possible that if this sells out rapidly, you'll press more than 2,000 - maybe another batch?

SAE has phenomenal customer service and I'm sure that many of you that are worried about a rapid sell out are loyal, repeat customers. Maybe if you e-mail them and ask them nicely, they would be willing to put a copy on hold for you? I'm sure no one at SAE/FSM wants to see this sell out and then start turning up on eBay for 3x the price like the Herrmann box.

Chris.

Posted:   Feb 16, 2012 - 11:01 AM   
 By:   mbmarrs   (Member)

Any chance of a separate 2-disc set with just the film score by itself and not all the extra stuff? Maybe if there's a sell-out of the 5-disc set?

Posted:   Feb 16, 2012 - 11:08 AM   
 By:   captain_avis   (Member)

Any chance of a separate 2-disc set with just the film score by itself and not all the extra stuff? Maybe if there's a sell-out of the 5-disc set?

Well the 2-Disk Rhino is going for super cheap on Amazon right now and that seems to have a fairly good reputation despite its age...

Posted:   Feb 16, 2012 - 11:08 AM   
 By:   toposs   (Member)

Ordered : Thank you Lukas and also Frank K. Dewald for his commentary on all the tracks.
This is Golden Age music at his best in an fantastic presentation.

Posted:   Feb 16, 2012 - 11:09 AM   
 By:   manderley   (Member)

I'm sorry that some who want this are not able to purchase it right away.

It is certainly a "Special Event" release in soundtrack collecting history, and a major achievement in assembly and research---more than 50 years after the film it celebrates.

Still, for all of this, I don't believe anyone has yet commented on what a great deal this non-box-set BEN-HUR actually is---5 very full discs for only $12 apiece! If we were buying these discs separately from FSM, it would be $100.

Back in the '50s-'60s, the price for the 3 albums together was about $14---just for LPs, with a fraction of the material on this set. With today's inflation, $14 in 1960 would be about $106.39 today. So.....in buying this today, I've paid far less (in relative terms), for far more material, than I did originally. And it's a much better production.

I also don't think anyone has commented on the "other" MGM LP of BEN-HUR---the one on the Metro label. It's buried deep in my holdings and I can't put my hands on it at this moment, but it also had a gorgeous purple cover and the BEN-HUR stone edifice logo (though this one was the stacked, angled version, not the single-height curved one). I always thought this cover was the most beautiful of them all.

It was on the cheaper Metro label, the successor to the Lion label, and it was, of course, a reissue. It was also slightly cut down in running time from the original album it replaced as I recall.

But I can't remember which of the original albums it replaced. Was it Savina, Kloss 1, or Kloss 2??? Does anyone else remember this album?

Over the years, the various BEN-HUR albums must have been the most exploited soundtrack in the MGM Records inventory.

Posted:   Feb 16, 2012 - 11:10 AM   
 By:   Joe Caps   (Member)

I'm staggered as to how they found all the previously assumed unrecorded pieces, of which there are quite a few. That must be an epic story in itself.

Very well done, FSM.

oh dear. WHO said they were previously unrecorded?