Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Jul 25, 2010 - 9:12 PM   
 By:   MMM   (Member)

I'm not sure what the Stephen Vincent Benet estate has to do with the music from DEVIL AND DANIEL WEBSTER. But I would love to know. And while all the suggestions being made are fascinating, nobody is considering the fact that most of these various films are published by different companies, and that can create a legal and financial nightmare for a company trying to release them on the same CD. There are many more things to consider when doing a compilation other than "What music would be fun to have together on the same disc?" And some of those things are legal and financial considerations.

Posted:   Jul 25, 2010 - 9:25 PM   
 By:   percepto   (Member)

Leave it to The Grim Reaper of Soundtracks to rain on everyone's parade...

Posted:   Jul 25, 2010 - 9:37 PM   
 By:   MMM   (Member)

I take pride in the fact that I care about and respect legalities. If everyone did, the world would be a much nicer place.

Posted:   Jul 25, 2010 - 9:47 PM   
 By:   haineshisway   (Member)

Nah, the world would be a much nicer place if you would stop playing dirty pool. For others here, simply scroll up to read the truth. And it IS the truth. Plain, simple, and unadorned. It cannot be refuted and therefore it hasn't been. Oh, I suppose the dirty pool player might try to refute it and dance around it, but he'd be lying and I can prove every single bit of it and will be happy to do so.

Posted:   Jul 25, 2010 - 9:51 PM   
 By:   Ed Nassour   (Member)

I take pride in the fact that I care about and respect legalities. If everyone did, the world would be a much nicer place.

The world would be a much nicer place if stupidity, greed and general incompetence were removed from everyone's life. That's not a personal reflection on you. Just a general observation of the relative stupidity of humankind in general.

In a perfect world, everything in the world of music would be available with no red tape or convoluted excuses to keep anyone from enjoying it.

I'm all for earning money. Just figure out the best way to make a buck and still allow people access to music.

For years I've tried to talk studio execs into freeing up music that's rotting away in vaults. The usual excuse involved legalities. I tend to feel it's a convenient excuse since most studios don't wish to bother with issuing soundtracks of older, classic films. As one exec at a big studio once said to me, "if they don't know we have it, they won't keep asking for it."

You would be surprised what's in the vaults. I know. I've been in several of at least three major Hollywood studios. I came across material not catalogued or worse, was listed as being either lost or discarded years before.

In a way it's criminal what goes on. Not as bad as it was say twenty years ago, but still not as it should be.

Posted:   Jul 25, 2010 - 10:05 PM   
 By:   TJ   (Member)

How bout somebody does Korngold's Anthony Adverse? The Varese recording is not exactly spectacular.

Posted:   Jul 25, 2010 - 10:23 PM   

I'd like to see Monstrous do Clifton's Parkers atmospheric score score for "Night of the Demon" (aka "Curse of the Demon") as well as Georges Auric's for the 1945 classic British horror thriller "Dead of Night."

Then of course James F. could take on the complete "Spartacus" giving it the same level of quality displayed recently with Tiomkin's "The Alamo." Then we'd have it all in stereo! And record it dry.

Another terrific score that needs release is "David Buttolph's "House of Wax." Knowing how well David Schecter and his people made "Them!" sound like it was recorded at Warner Brothers, I'm sure they could do the same with Buttolph's music.

Another strong contender is Franz Waxman's "Mr. Roberts." The original WB stereo three tracks are long gone. Only a mono dub down remains.

I was told by at least three people who worked at Warner Brothers including Ray Heindorf that during the 1950s they would reuse their full-coat 35mm mag music masters over and over until they were no longer usable. Then send them out for reclaim. That was Jack Warner's way of saving a buck.

Posted:   Jul 25, 2010 - 10:24 PM   
 By:   Preston Neal Jones   (Member)

M-to-the-third-power, I'm guessing you were tired when you read my post. I was referencing not THE DEVIL AND DANIEL WEBSTER but JOHN BROWN'S BODY. A lot of Schumann's choral score comprises musical settings of Benet's verses, and thus the songs probably have shared copyrights -- lyrics by Benet, music by Schumann -- which is why I surmised that the Benet estate would be involved. To say nothing about publishers, as you pointed out, another reason why things can get complicated. Jeep -- oops, sorry, Steve.

Posted:   Jul 25, 2010 - 10:25 PM   

The world would be a much nicer place if stupidity, greed and general incompetence were removed from everyone's life. That's not a personal reflection on you. Just a general observation of the relative stupidity of humankind in general.

Actually, it is a personal reflection on him and suits him to a T.

Posted:   Jul 25, 2010 - 11:31 PM   
 By:   percepto   (Member)

My point, Mr. Schecter, is that you're incapable of letting people make simple suggestions or even wistfully hoping for a beloved piece of music they've waited decades to hear without unceremoniously stepping in and whizzing on their dreams with your relentless faux legalese and sour grapes. It's a message board, for pete's sake. Not "Dragnet."

So sue me...

Posted:   Jul 26, 2010 - 12:07 AM   

Call a lawyer and sue me,
Sue me
What can you do me,
I love you.
Give a holler and hate me
Hate me
Go ahead, hate me!
I LOVE YOU!

Posted:   Jul 26, 2010 - 10:14 AM   
 By:   Yavar Moradi   (Member)

Why did it have to happen to THIS THREAD, dammit?

Yavar

Posted:   Jul 26, 2010 - 10:31 AM   

Why did it have to happen to THIS THREAD, dammit?

Yavar

As I said before - you know who to thank. We all know who to thank.

Posted:   Jul 29, 2010 - 8:16 PM   
 By:   Hbeale   (Member)

That certainly would be something that many of you would want to have. Are you reading this Tadlow or Tribute Film Classics ?The Night Of The Hunter is a soundtrack so special that it becomes one of the characters in that classic film. The LP release contains some tracks from the movie but also narration and dialog.

Posted:   Sep 10, 2013 - 12:52 PM   
 By:   Mike Skerritt   (Member)

I hesitated to bump this given the direction of the discussion, but it's a valid topic and I'm curious to know if any headway's been made on a possible release, re-recording or otherwise. The film has been airing on MGM HD and I happened on the river scene last night, which is astonishing.

Posted:   Sep 10, 2013 - 5:14 PM   
 By:   arthur grant   (Member)

I hesitated to bump this given the direction of the discussion, but it's a valid topic and I'm curious to know if any headway's been made on a possible release, re-recording or otherwise. The film has been airing on MGM HD and I happened on the river scene last night, which is astonishing.

Hey Mike!

Sorry to post here but I just saw your name come up and wanted to say Hi after all this time.
Can you e-mail me your e-mail? arthur@thecinemacafe.com

Posted:   Sep 10, 2013 - 7:06 PM   
 By:   Jeff Bond   (Member)

I think the problem with this is recreating the vocal performance of the girl that sang the song--it's kind of the centerpiece of the score and it would be a real challenge to get that right. But this would be my top choice for a score rerecording right now.

Posted:   Sep 11, 2013 - 12:31 AM   
 By:   Doug Raynes   (Member)

Arrow Films in the UK is releasing this on Blu-ray in October and amongst the extras is an isolated music score and effects track.

http://www.arrowfilms.co.uk/index.php?tle_id=809&art_id=48

Posted:   Sep 11, 2013 - 1:38 AM   
 By:   OnlyGoodMusic   (Member)

I got the OST with the Charles Laughton narration, and from that (and having seen the film several times) my impression is there's not enough music to fill a CD, so it would have to be coupled with something else - but what else?

Posted:   Sep 11, 2013 - 5:04 AM   
 By:   OnyaBirri   (Member)

Even though Mitchum's voice works with the score at some key moments I think the music would survive without it.

Mitchum's singing is the main thing I remember about the score. If they don't tack Mitchum onto it someplace, this albino koala ain't buying it.