Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
This is a comments thread about FSM CD: Star Trek: The Next Generation: The Ron Jones Project

Posted:   Feb 17, 2012 - 10:21 PM   
 By:   BasilFSM   (Member)

I went through the FSM catalog after the low quantities thread went up and I found this box again. Considering how slow everything else appears to sell lately (even FSM's low quantity titles aren't selling out), I decided I had procrastinated on this set long enough. I placed my order tonight along with Ben-Hur and Point Blank / The Outfit, for a total of nearly $250.

That's the last of my spending budget available until mid-March. I hope nothing else that I want is released or going on the verge of sellout / out of print until then. (I so badly want to get A Troll in Central Park, but with Intrada's new policy I can relax on that for a bit)

I'd be very interested in hearing the low quantity report on this box - I believe the list of 2010 CDs is next and this is among them. I recall a post from at least a year ago that mentioned the set had only sold 900 units out of 5000... and right now SAE's shopping cart shows that there are 676 units available.

Dismal sales figures, really.

Posted:   Feb 17, 2012 - 10:37 PM   
 By:   bdm   (Member)

You will enjoy this box immensely! As for dismal sales; well, it's STAR TREK, but it's not TOS, and TNG music wise isn't in the same category. If this FSM box had been TOS score; gone in a flash. As it is, a great set; nice scores, and (as with La-La's set) it will sell in time.

TOS scores to come? Gone in a heartbeat! DS9, Voyager and Enterprise score sets? Likely to sell better than TNG sets, but not as well as a TOS set would. Just the way tastes go. Still, I'm very grateful to Mr. Kendall and Jones et al for the FSM box, and look forward to more TREK to comesmile

Posted:   Mar 4, 2012 - 10:09 AM   
 By:   ScottDS   (Member)

Looks like Trekmovie has finally reviewed this set:

http://trekmovie.com/2012/03/03/review-star-trek-the-next-generation-the-ron-jones-project/

"This is a serious set that would be appreciated by many fans. It is a piece of TNG history and for soundtrack aficionados, it really is an ambitious and rewarding experience to enjoy the most complete collection of a Trek composer's music ever collected."

Posted:   Mar 4, 2012 - 8:02 PM   
 By:   dnaden   (Member)

Got it...love it...'nuff said!!!

Posted:   Mar 4, 2012 - 8:09 PM   
 By:   Tom Servo   (Member)

Looks like Trekmovie has finally reviewed this set:

http://trekmovie.com/2012/03/03/review-star-trek-the-next-generation-the-ron-jones-project/

"This is a serious set that would be appreciated by many fans. It is a piece of TNG history and for soundtrack aficionados, it really is an ambitious and rewarding experience to enjoy the most complete collection of a Trek composer's music ever collected."

Good deal! The more press, the better for this set. Being a Trek fan does not always equal being a film/TV music fan, but regardless there are other fans who might discover they really enjoy the scores Ron Jones composed for the show.

Posted:   Mar 25, 2012 - 5:46 PM   
 By:   sr-miller   (Member)

I finally saved up enough to get this and have spent the past 2 weeks listening to it exclusively. Not that it's my favorite music but the only way to become familiar with this much music is through sheer repetition. There is some pleasant music, some interesting music, but, if this were not a "dream project", a different producer would have sensibly distilled this collection down to 3 or 4 CDs.

Having listened several times to the Fred Steiner score to Code of Honor on the La-La Land collection and since re-visited that episode on DVD, I can't help but slightly regret that the Next Generation scores didn't go in that direction. I frankly hear little difference between any of the Next Generation scores (excepting Code of Honor) regardless of the composer. As I type this, I'm listening to Icarus Factor for the 4th or 5th time. It's pleasant enough but I don't remember any of it from the last hearing (or the one before that). On the bright side, I will never get tired of them...

Posted:   Jun 11, 2012 - 4:09 PM   
 By:   David (Giacchino-fan)   (Member)

Finally got this mammoth set from a fellow FSM member at a great price. I really look forward to diving into it. Too bad it's not selling well; such a labor of love that has a huge fanbase ought to be a huge financial success for Lukas and company.

Posted:   Jun 11, 2012 - 4:16 PM   
 By:   Superman1701   (Member)

Finally got this mammoth set from a fellow FSM member at a great price. I really look forward to diving into it. Too bad it's not selling well; such a labor of love that has a huge fanbase ought to be a huge financial success for Lukas and company.

I am very happy with this set as well. As a Trekkie it was a no brainer, but musically there is so much good material in this set. Since Ive had it Ive watched several episodes of TNG (have all the series on dvd/blu ray) and noticed the scores featured in that set alot more. smile

Posted:   Jun 11, 2012 - 5:29 PM   

I finally saved up enough to get this and have spent the past 2 weeks listening to it exclusively. Not that it's my favorite music but the only way to become familiar with this much music is through sheer repetition. There is some pleasant music, some interesting music, but, if this were not a "dream project", a different producer would have sensibly distilled this collection down to 3 or 4 CDs.

Having listened several times to the Fred Steiner score to Code of Honor on the La-La Land collection and since re-visited that episode on DVD, I can't help but slightly regret that the Next Generation scores didn't go in that direction. I frankly hear little difference between any of the Next Generation scores (excepting Code of Honor) regardless of the composer. As I type this, I'm listening to Icarus Factor for the 4th or 5th time. It's pleasant enough but I don't remember any of it from the last hearing (or the one before that). On the bright side, I will never get tired of them...

Interesting that you do not hear much difference between the composers on TNG... when I watched the show from week to week when Jones and McCarthy alternated, their respective style and approach I found quite distinct. It was akin to having a Goldsmith-type score one week and then a Horner style the next. Not scientific at all, of course, but I think the differences in their scores is that marked, I could tell within a few notes which composer it was. And this continued on to the Chattaway years as well, although there is much more similarities to be found between his TNG scoring style and McCarthy's.

Admittedly, not every Jones score is a memorable winner, "The Icarus Factor" a good example, but I find that out of his 42 scores there are only a few that fall into this category. Each usually had a new distinct theme, episodic-specific instrumentation both acoustic and electronic and/or memorable, ostinato-based action cues. I can't imagine ever confusing his score for "Datalore" with "Who Watches The Watchers" or "Evolution" with "Devil's Due".

Posted:   Jun 11, 2012 - 5:29 PM   

Interesting that you do not hear much difference between the composers on TNG... when I watched the show from week to week when Jones and McCarthy alternated, their respective style and approach I found quite distinct. It was akin to having a Goldsmith-type score one week and then a Horner style the next. Not scientific at all, of course, but I think the differences in their scores is that marked, I could tell within a few notes which composer it was. And this continued on to the Chattaway years as well, although there is much more similarities to be found between his TNG scoring style and McCarthy's.

Admittedly, not every Jones score is a memorable winner, "The Icarus Factor" a good example, but I find that out of his 42 scores there are only a few that fall into this category. Each usually had a new distinct theme, episodic-specific instrumentation both acoustic and electronic and/or memorable, ostinato-based action cues. I can't imagine ever confusing his score for "Datalore" with "Who Watches The Watchers" or "Evolution" with "Devil's Due", for instance.

Posted:   Jun 11, 2012 - 10:51 PM   
 By:   Nicholas_DW   (Member)

I also can't believe that anyone would have trouble telling them apart. The Goldsmith/Horner analogy is exactly what I was thinking!

Confusing "The Emissary" with "Time Squared"? Im-possible!

Before I pretty much had who scored what memorized (as far as the Jones years anyway), I used to play a game in which the episode would start and, as soon as the music began, I'd say, "Ron Jones!" or "Dennis McCarthy!" My accuracy was only slapped down by "Remember Me". I knew it was a bit thematic for McCarthy at that point, but didn't think it sounded like Jones. In my ignorance, I guessed Jones anyway. Damn you Chattaway! It would have been Jones had it not been for the scheduling mix-up. Damn you Berman!

I do it with Voyager when I watch that too, since I don't know the series insanely well.

Posted:   Jun 12, 2012 - 6:40 AM   
 By:   Traveling Matt   (Member)

Too bad it's not selling well; such a labor of love that has a huge fanbase ought to be a huge financial success for Lukas and company.

There seems to be quite a difference in passion between the fanbase for the series and the fanbase for the music, unfortunately. There isn't much apparent overlap, and so poor sales aren't that surprising.

A box of the complete TOS, however, would be another story... smile

Posted:   Jun 12, 2012 - 9:00 AM   
 By:   chriss   (Member)

I I used to play a game in which the episode would start and, as soon as the music began ... I do it with Voyager when I watch that too, since I don't know the series insanely well.

I do that nice little game too! smile
I must say that I'm quite good at identifying a David Bell score when the episode starts.

Posted:   Jun 13, 2012 - 5:52 AM   
 By:   Zeno Cosini   (Member)

A box of the complete TOS, however, would be another story... smile

Ooooooh, you are absolutely right!!!!!

Posted:   Jun 15, 2012 - 9:44 AM   
 By:   chriss   (Member)

My accuracy was only slapped down by "Remember Me". I knew it was a bit thematic for McCarthy at that point, but didn't think it sounded like Jones. In my ignorance, I guessed Jones anyway. Damn you Chattaway! It would have been Jones had it not been for the scheduling mix-up. Damn you Berman!

Jones was originally scheduled to score the episode "The Dauphin". I wonder what he would have done with this story of a bittersweet unfulfilled love!

Btw, it's always fun to revisit this Ron Jones box!

Posted:   Jun 15, 2012 - 11:44 AM   
 By:   CrazyQuark   (Member)

Jones was originally scheduled to score the episode "The Dauphin". I wonder what he would have done with this story of a bittersweet unfulfilled love!

Probably some very good stuff. xD
Episodes where I missed him the most would include "Descent" (well that was an obvious one) and especially "Relics" - not so much because of Scotty's presence, but more because of the Dyson-sphere plot. I have the feeling this thing would have inspired him to compose some really, really great stuff.

Btw, it's always fun to revisit this Ron Jones box!

It is indeed! smile

Posted:   Jul 22, 2012 - 12:15 PM   
 By:   Yavar Moradi   (Member)

This is a fantastic set. I love how each and every score is unique and doesn't sound like any of the others. He really did score these like miniature features, which is great. This is on the level of the Batman TAS scores and definitely deserved this definitive box set.

I did think I would point out to whoever edits the CD descriptions on the site that they might like to remove the following statement: "Due to licensing restrictions, there will not be any download sales or individual releases of the discs. "

Seeing as how all but the last disc or two ARE now available as downloads.

Yavar

Posted:   Jul 23, 2012 - 11:34 AM   
 By:   Superman1701   (Member)

I am very happy with this set. It took me a while to go through but it is surely worth the time and money. Plus as a Trekkie is was a no brainer. I think the best way to experience the music in this set is to watch the episodes that have score representation on the CDs and then go back and listen to the scores. I watched several from the DVD seasons and the first thing I did when I heard something I liked was pull the box out and see if the episode was on there. What a joy it was to find certain episodes!

Posted:   Jul 25, 2012 - 4:49 AM   
 By:   Josh "Swashbuckler" Gizelt   (Member)

This box set, along with the La-La Land set, were great companion pieces to revisiting the series on Netflix a few months ago.

Posted:   Oct 13, 2012 - 1:11 PM   
 By:   Loren   (Member)

According to today Star Trek FB page, 25% off discount on the Ron Jones Project ordering from SAE:

"Get an exclusive 25% off discount on Star Trek Soundtracks using code StarTrek. For Wrath of Khan: http://ow.ly/eqAJC, Search For Spock: http://ow.ly/eqANN, The Next Generation http://ow.ly/eqB0e. Enter the code on the final page of checkout to apply the discount."